Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Stories We Tell 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Stories We Tell 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Stories We Tell
Stories We Tell

Quote:
Stories We Tell is a 2012 Canadian documentary film by Sarah Polley and produced by the National Film Board of Canada (NFB). It premiered August 29, 2012 at the 69th Venice International Film Festival, then played at the 39th Telluride Film Festival and the 37th Toronto International Film Festival.

The film looks at the relationship between Polley's parents, including the revelation that the filmmaker was the product of an extramarital affair. It incorporates Super-8 footage shot to look like home movies, interviews with Polley's siblings and other relatives, and Michael Polley's narration of his memoir. The cast includes Rebecca Jenkins, who plays Polley's mother Diane in the Super-8 re-creations.

In her blog post on the NFB.ca website, Polley reveals that several journalists including Brian D. Johnson and Matthew Hays had known about the story of her biological father for years, but respected Polley's wish to keep the matter private until she was ready to tell her story in her own words.

Thu May 23, 2013 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
You are waiting for a train

Post Re: Stories We Tell
One of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

The hook is simple: director Sarah Polley is delving into the story of her mother who died of cancer in 1990 and how her life affected Sarah and the rest of her family. Then, the movie becomes about the way people tell these stories, questioning the validity of Sarah's work and basically pulling the rug from beneath the viewer. The fourth wall is constantly broken and Polley keeps tripping up your expectations right into the end credits, where there's yet another shocking revelation.

I think what moved me the most was the transparency of the whole project. Sarah's dad is both a character in the story and the narrator who spends a lot of his time in the film in a recording booth, which adds a whole new level of intimacy to the project. It never feels like an act of narcissism on Sarah's part to make this movie, even if she's worried it does: we see her bond with her family in such real ways that never feel unearned. It's an incredibly self-aware documentary in that Polley is openly questioning the ethics of how to tell a story like this in the first place, what she's leaving out, whose (usually contradicting) perspectives she can focus on, because after all, there is no one story of her mother, as she learns.

Everyone (except Magnus apparently) should find something to resonate with them in this film, if not Sarah's family story itself then the nature of how and why we tell our own family stories.

Just a remarkable, remarkable film.

A

Thu May 23, 2013 5:38 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Magnus wrote:
Seriously, watch an episode of Maury. Same shit. Just classier.

He had his 2500th episode last Friday. So proud.

Thu May 23, 2013 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
You are waiting for a train

Magnus wrote:
Seriously, watch an episode of Maury. Same shit. Just classier.

Did they go back and re-create every major moment of someone's life related to their mother? In 16mm?

Whatever, I think your one takeaway from the movie says everything about what you thought.. :funny:

Fri May 24, 2013 12:47 am
Pure Phase

I realize I never posted any thoughts on this because I was distracted and busy in May, but I adore it. I have dug Sarah Polley since The Sweet Hereafter (which inspired a bit of a crush when I was 12 or 13), and I highly enjoyed her first two films as a director, but this is her crowning achievement to date and an absolute home run. It is so personal, yet so universal, too, which is a neat dynamic: it focuses on these very specific, very idiosyncratic personalities and their private lives and loves, but the ideas and themes--death, estrangement, longing, love, memory, regret--come through in an enormous way and have a bruising, then cathartic impact.

I bought the DVD a few days ago.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:45 pm
Pure Phase

I would have bought the Blu-ray if they released one. ;) But they didn't.

I am still a fan of owning music and films on physical media. I do not care if the world at large is moving toward digital downloads and online theft.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]