Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Glengarry Glen Ross 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Glengarry Glen Ross 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Glengarry Glen Ross
Glengarry Glen Ross

Quote:
Glengarry Glen Ross is a 1992 American drama film, adapted by David Mamet from his acclaimed 1984 Pulitzer Prize- and Tony-winning play of the same name. The film depicts two days in the lives of four real estate salesmen and how they become desperate when the corporate office sends a trainer to "motivate" them by announcing that, in one week, all except the top two salesmen will be fired. The film, like the play, is notorious for its use of profanity, leading the cast to jokingly refer to the film as "Death of a Fuckin' Salesman". The title of the film comes from the names of two of the real estate developments being peddled by the salesmen characters: Glengarry Highlands and Glen Ross Farms.

The world premiere of Glengarry Glen Ross was held at the Venice Film Festival, where Jack Lemmon, one of the film's stars, was awarded the Volpi Cup for Best Actor. The film was not a commercial success, making only $10.7 million in North America, just below its $12.5 million budget. Al Pacino was nominated for an Academy Award and a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor for his work in the film.

Sun May 12, 2013 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Glengarry Glen Ross
Though I didn't quite get the whole movie (and you're not really suppose to the first time around), this was still fantastic. Mamet's writing is so sharp and most of the scenes are hilarious in their high amounts of profanity, yet are just as thrilling. What a great cast as well.

Sun May 12, 2013 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Definitely one of my top 5 plays of all time, but the movie is just legend after legend doing what they do best. I mean it stars 6 actors with 20 Academy Award nominations and 6 wins. I'm still surprised how much this film was ignored when it first came out. Alec Baldwin is written in specifically for his scene and just completely owns it. A great script, an amazing cast, a great play to film adaptation.

Also, for those that don't know, Gil from the Simpsons is based on Lemmon's portrayal of Levine in this movie.

A+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm
now we know

I've said it before and I'll say it again: films based on plays are usually good (Sleuth, Closer, Driving Miss Daisy). This is no exception. It's fucking great. There's just something riveting about the onslaught of dialogue, and watching high-profile actors have the chance to perform. I shall probably watch it again before the week is out. Everybody is on fire. Pacino as the high-flying storyteller, Lemmon as the burned out old timer unable to learn new tricks, Harris as a deadbeat salesman always complaining that the world is against him, Arkin as the quiet one with no clue, and Spacey representing corporate, perfectly capturing that type of office manager that doesn't understand the troops and only knows how to push through procedures from the top. If that wasn't enough, Baldwin's now infamous "Always Be Closing" speech is flat-out awesome cinema. Mamet's a genius, and this is a masterpiece.

Mon May 06, 2019 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]