Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pain & Gain 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
B 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

Pain & Gain 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Pain & Gain
Pain & Gain

Quote:
Pain & Gain is an upcoming action-comedy-crime film written by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely and directed by Michael Bay. The film is based on a 1999 series of Miami New Times articles surrounding the brutal kidnapping, extortion, torture, and murder of several victims by an organized group of criminals that included a number of bodybuilders. Two members of the "Sun Gym Gang," Daniel Lugo and Adrian Doorbal, received death sentences in Florida and sit on Florida's death row.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Pain & Gain
Give Michael Bay a smart script and you'll get something like this. Give Michael Bay a shit script and tell him to run wild with it, and you get shit like the last two Transformers movies, and dare I say a good chunk of Bad Boys II.

If you're expecting a brand new Michael Bay, you'll be sadly disappointed. Actually, very little seems to have changed. He's been labeled a misogynist and nothing in Pain & Gain will change that. I imagine the only reason why Bar Paly is in this (playing a dumb Russian? stripper) is because she's his most recent fuckbuddy. The other two major female's are barely more than two-dimensional with one being Ed Harris' character's wife and the other being Rebel Wilson, who I'm not sure if Bay wants us to laugh with or at her.

Quick note: I'm surprised there actually isn't more nudity in the film.

Yes, he's been labeled as being crude and homophobic. Nothing here will change that. For instance, we get a scene set in a warehouse that's full of comically gigantic dildos, leather chaps, and other homosexual paraphernalia, all for the Johnson's character to say something like, "I'm no homo", a small undercurrent in the film with his character. In a previous scene, a priest who Johnson confides in, tries to come on to him only to have Johnson beat the everlasting shit out of him (only to make up (a scene we don't see) right before he gets arrested). Why is all of this in the film? Unnecessary backstory and Bay has a juvenile sense of humor. Is it a malicious? I don't think so. Then again, an effeminate man gets tasered, but I also think this character-actor is a Bay regular.

Here's the thing though. I don't think he means any of this maliciously. And damn has he not forgotten how to make an entertaining movie. If you can overlook these problems, and recognize that Michael Bay is nothing more than a thirteen-year-old kid with a camera, then I don't think you'll have a problem enjoying Pain & Gain. Take Bay's frenetic energy (plus "borrowing" a few different styles of shots from other directors), mix it with Wahlberg who is playing a more roided up version of the character he played in The Happening, and Dwayne Johnson who reminds us that he is indeed a good actor, and blend it with a smart script by the guys who wrote Captain America, and you've got a very good movie that could've been better if Bay were just even a handful of years more mature.

And the make or break aspect of the movie; the film would've been a complete failure if any of the three characters were in any way sympathetic, which could've been a very easy trap for Bay to fall into, especially considering his track record (Bad Boys II). But to give Bay credit where credit is due, he was at least mature enough to recognize this (or was smart enough to stick to the page).

Bring on more film's like this and forget about Transformers, Bay. You made one good one and that was more than anyone expected out of you, or that brand.

(B+)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

^I was surprised that there wasn't more nudity too.

For Bay's standards this is a pretty interesting and well shot movie.Strangely enough I kind of liked the voiceover from multiple characters. It's pretty entertaining (which is something that I can't say for the last Transformers) and The Rock is pretty great but it's too long. You really feel the length in the last half hour.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:38 pm
The Kramer

This is Michael Bay doing his best impression of the Coens, only he can't help but be Michael Bay. That's fine though, his one failure was his attempt to be James Cameron. The first and last fifteen minutes kind of drag, and the editing is a bit sloppy. It is very funny though, and all three leads are great. B+

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:14 am
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

C-

The "true"story in this film is disgusting (somehow I knew nothing about it before walking in), many of the people deplorable. I should have waited and watched the film on TV. disgust with a little bit of history aside (those cops in the hospital :disgust: ) the acting was top notch, and Bay managed to make what could have been an uncomfortable watch into a tolerable one.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:29 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Do they shy away from what really happened? Because from the ads it seemed they were trying to make these characters likeable when they are anything but. It seemed the aftermath would be glossed over. Do they show the actual violent crime?

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:31 am
Killing With Kindness

Magic Mike wrote:
Do they shy away from what really happened? Because from the ads it seemed they were trying to make these characters likeable when they are anything but. It seemed the aftermath would be glossed over. Do they show the actual violent crime?

No they do not shy away at all, every violent crime is shown and the film makes clear that the mains are moronic brutal thugs. The absurdity of the way the cops treat the victim is nauseating. I think the adds were a bit misleading, but alas all I had to do was a little research like I normally do, so shame on me.

I can't fathom how three total morons nearly got away with such crimes.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:45 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Magic Mike wrote:
Wahlberg's character is very unlikeable long before he kills anybody. He entices the others to do terrible things, but they also do plenty of terrible things on their own. Having watched plenty of movies and tv with unredeemable main characters, it didn't bother me. They're not likeable or relatable. but they are certainly interesting.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:10 am
Extraordinary

Yeah, Wahlberg here is beyond unlikeable here. The Rock is only somewhat likable 'cause his performance is the most amusing.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:46 am
Extraordinary

Way too long.

Yeah, it's got that whole true story thing goin', but Pain & Gain is in dire need of some pep in it's storytelling pacing. This puppy coulda been a boffo 90 minute flick!

The leads were plenty fun, but Bay never really grabbed hold of the reins and made them shine.

4 out of 5.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:17 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was absolutely horrible. One of the most boring, inept things I've seen in a long time. The only thing that's even redeeming about it is the cast, which makes the most of the terrible material. D+

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:35 pm
Profile YIM
why so serious?

It's hard to say what's more surprising about Pain & Gain: that a good deal of the insanely violent and sociopathic events that happen in the movie are based on fact, or that Michael Bay has succeeded in making a funny, smart (?!?), and sufficiently dark satire. Bay's excessive style is a perfect fit for a script about delusional characters that are guided by their pursuit of material wealth, and he seems more connected with the characters and story here than he has in many of his previous films. While the film isn't as dark or disturbing as the articles that inspired it (in particular, it softens the degree to which the kidnapping victim was tortured), it feels daring for the fact that it doesn't even attempt to make its main characters sympathetic; they are shallow men leading shallow existences, and even with the development of Tony Shaloub's character as a smarmy jerk, there's no sense that we're supposed to be rooting for them to get away with their remarkably stupid and violent schemes. To this end, the performances are spot-on. Mark Wahlberg has just enough charisma to almost have viewers on his side, but also nails his character's dark side; Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson gives his most impressive performance to date (for what admittedly little that might be saying) as the only one of the main trio with anything vaguely resembling a conscience, and he balances the dramatic and comedic elements of his role surprisingly well; and Anthony Mackie is also solid as usual as the last third of the trio. As a testament to the strength of the acting and the script, there's surprisingly little of the action to which we have become accustomed in a Michael Bay film, yet it's faster and more involving than most of his filmography. It also utilizes some very effective dark comedy, and the bizarre nature of the subject matter and the sharpness of the script makes the transitions between comedy and seriousness feel natural, as opposed to causing tonal whiplash. Admittedly, it does lose a little bit of steam as it nears the finish line, and the points the film makes are so blunt that they're bound to turn some viewers off. But for what it was, I had a blast.

B+

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:22 pm
You are waiting for a train

Pretty good, bordering on very good. But it could have been great.

I loved what Bay was going for here- a twisted nightmare about the American Dream- and I think he had everything he needed here to pull it off. The three leading men are terrific, especially the Rock, who's given a surprising range to work with here and always sells it. There's some great lines, some impressive camera work, and some dark material. It's so self-assured that it felt to me like these are the movies Bay should be making and clearly the films he wants to make.

I think the problem is that it's probably half an hour too long. That's not uncommon for Michael Bay, but the film reaches a point where the antics of these three idiots becomes tedious and it's hard to keep laughing at them. The middle works the strongest while the end feels incredibly stretched out. I would have liked a meatier role for Ed Harris, who almost functions as the Linda Litzke of the movie, and less plot wrinkles and supporting characters to keep track of.

Still, it functions nicely as a dark satire, so that's something.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 pm
now we know

Not as good as Upstream Color, I'm sure. Magnus would agree.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

PAIN AND GAIN

I really enjoyed this film. It kept me interested throughout and I'm one who enjoys a real true crime type of film. The performances were all very good. The Rock a bit over the top, maybe even unbelievable as a born again christian but hey I accepted it. The people in this film are quite bizarre as the hole they dig gets deeper and even more tragic as we reach the conclusion. These guys were just delusional and just not smart. One can appreciate the need and effort to better oneself but they went it about it the wrong way. I loved Tony Shaloub too.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:52 am
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
Anyone who doesn't like this is a fucking loser.

Same goes for anyone who loves it.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:14 am
now we know

I'm pretty sure there are losers that also found it just "so so".

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
I'm pretty sure there are losers that also found it just "so so".

I didn't realize you'd seen it. Sorry to hear you thought it was just so so.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 am
now we know

:funny:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 am
Profile WWW
You are waiting for a train

Algren wrote:
Not as good as Upstream Color, I'm sure. Magnus would agree.

If Upstream Color was as long as Pain and Gain, I'm sure it would have suffered just as well. But both are good movies.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:49 pm
Superfreak

I cant believe they made this into a film. the real life characters are total pieces of shit.

Wed May 01, 2013 11:09 pm
Extraordinary

Excel wrote:
I cant believe they made this into a film. the real life characters are total pieces of shit.

Pssstttt... then for the love of god, don't watch Schindler's List, man!!!

Thu May 02, 2013 12:16 am
now we know

I'm torn. On one hand, I feel that making a film about these disgusting pieces of shit will only serve to increase violent crime for other wannabe stars that will feel that if their crime is shocking enough then they also might eventually get a movie made about them...but on the other hand, this movie fucking rocks. It's so much fun and really enjoyed it. The only thing that seperates this movie from feeling disgusted about liking it is its stars; Dwayne Johnson and Mark Wahlberg were excellent, and it's because I know them from other movies that I can safely say that I liked their characters in this - even though I know they are the scum of the Earth in reality. In the film world, this story is ok, it's Pulp Fiction, it's Reservoir Dogs...it's acceptable to like these movies without condoning the violence within..but in reality, these crimes were atrocious, and they all deserved death.

I thought all the humour was just right up my street. The fat penis nurse was hilarious, and the dialogue was really cool. I thought that The Rock was going to be a badass, but despite looking cool, he wimped out of everything. Wahlberg was right, he was so fucking defeatist. The Chinese millionaire guru speaker dude was annoying - I think that actor (forgot his name) has had his 15 minutes of fame now and he needs to fuck off.

With a great soundtrack and a well-told story (including some awesome shots), this becomes one of Michael Bay's best movies, and certainly his best movie of the last 12 years. I'm verging on an "A-", but that'll take another watch, for now it's....

B+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

YO GRAB THAT CABBAGE PATCH

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:49 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Didn't hate it, but it just wasn't for me. The Rock was great and I really dug Bay's old school visual style in this, but not much else to rave about IMO.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next