Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Sapphires 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Sapphires 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Sapphires
The Sapphires

Quote:
The Sapphires is a 2012 Australian musical comedy-drama film produced by Goalpost Pictures and distributed by Hopscotch Films, based on the 2004 stage play of the same name which is based on a true story. The film is directed by Wayne Blair and written by Keith Thompson and Tony Briggs, the latter of whom wrote the play. The film is about four indigenous women, Gail (Deborah Mailman), Julie (Jessica Mauboy), Kay (Shari Sebbens) and Cynthia (Miranda Tapsell), who are discovered by a talent scout (Chris O'Dowd), and form a music group called The Sapphires, travelling to Vietnam in 1968 to sing for troops during the war. Production began in 2010, with the casting of the four members of The Sapphires, and filming taking place throughout New South Wales in Australia and Vietnam during August and September 2011.

The Sapphires made its world premiere at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival on 19 May 2012 during its out of competition screenings, was theatrically released in Australia on 9 August and received a release in the United States on March 22, 2013.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Sapphires
This movie isn't perfect, but if you're looking for a crowd-pleasing good time this is without a doubt the movie to see this spring. This movie is infectiously fun and touching, with great performances across the board. Chris O'Dowd proves himself to be a capable leading man and all four of the female leads are great. I especially loved Jessica Mauboy and Deborah Mailman, who were both the standouts of the group. The soundtrack is fantastic as well. I could have done with some more character development and the ending felt a bit rushed, but for the most part this movie is a delight. Definitely worth checking out, and if expanded with care Weinstein could have a sleeper on their hands. This movie is completely mainstream accessible. A-

Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:51 pm
Profile YIM
Dont Mess with the Gez

Mauboy has done well for herself after being runner-up in Australian Idol 7 or 8 years ago.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:26 am
Extraordinary

What a treat!

The Sapphires is a real gem.

A groovin', underdog, retro musical that brings grrrrlll power to bear on everything from racism to sexism carried by that smooth sixties soul sound and it's ultra charming cheesy melodrama.

The rare movie that I wanted to watch again a second time straight away, right after it had finished for the first time.

89 out of 5.

Thu May 02, 2013 12:13 am
Pure Phase

I found this film, the fact derived story of Indigenous Australian sisters who form a singing group, entertaining, but also frustrating. In general, I wish it were longer, more ambitious, and more curious. There is so much intriguing and rich content here, from the state of race relations in Australia in the 1960s to the experiences of female entertainers on the ground in Vietnam during the war, but the film, which lasts around 90 minutes, is always rushing to the next crowd-pleasing moment, and it lets an inordinate amount of potential slip through its fingers. One might say it is audience conscious and well-oiled to a fault. More time and thought could even be devoted to parts of the core musical storyline, such as the girls' transition from quaint country music to a sexier and more vibrant brand of R&B/soul. Having said this, it is hard to stay angry with a film so charming and light, so full of wonderful music, and featuring at least four or five highly capable performances, including one by the always amiable Chris O'Dowd. It is, despite its shortcomings, a sweetly pleasant viewing experience, and I am a tad surprised Harvey Weinstein failed to turn it into a significant sleeper hit during its theatrical run.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:48 pm
You must have big rats

A-

Oh man, I went in with absolutely no expectations and came out hugely satisfied. It plays a lot by the numbers, but the leading ladies are simply delightful, the singing is very strong and this is one of the few films, in which I found Chris O'Dowd not just tolerable, but really likable and funny. The real stars and the heart of the film are, however, Deborah Mailman and Jessica Mauboy. This felt a bit like an Australian version of Dreamgirls, but even more fun and touching. More people should see this film.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]