Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Jack the Giant Slayer 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
D 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Jack the Giant Slayer 
loyalfromlondon

Post Jack the Giant Slayer
Jack the Giant Slayer

Quote:
Jack the Giant Slayer (previously titled Jack the Giant Killer) is a 2013 American fantasy—adventure film based on the fairy tales, "Jack the Giant Killer" and "Jack and the Beanstalk". The film is directed by Bryan Singer and stars Nicholas Hoult, Eleanor Tomlinson, Stanley Tucci, Ian McShane, Bill Nighy and Ewan McGregor with a screenplay written by Darren Lemke, Christopher McQuarrie and Dan Studney. The film tells the story of Jack, a young farmhand who must rescue a princess from a race of giants after inadvertently opening a gateway to their world.

Development of Jack the Giant Slayer began in 2005, when Lemke first pitched the idea. D. J. Caruso was hired to direct film in January 2009 but in September, Caruso was replaced by Singer, who hired McQuarrie and Studney to rework the script. The main characters were cast between February and March 2011, and principal photography began in April 2011 in England with locations in Somerset, Gloucestershire and Norfolk. Release of the film was moved back in post production to allow more time for special effects and marketing.

Jack the Giant Slayer premiered on February 26, 2013 in Hollywood and was released theatrically in the United States on March 1, 2013 in 2D and 3D. Amid mixed reviews from films critics, the film has garnered tepid returns from the box office.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:41 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Jack the Giant Slayer
Among today's directors known for utilizing the studio system's mega-budget canvas to unfold stories of the fantastic, the super-heroic, and the otherwise unearthly, no one is operating on the high level of Bryan Singer. Not J. J. Abrams nor Tim Burton nor even Christopher Nolan. A strong statement, I know, but I stand behind it. From the lean and influential X-Men to the anxious pulse and panoramic scope of its sequel to Superman Returns, an elegant and grand revision of the 20th century's most iconic costumed hero and now almost a lost American masterpiece, the director who first rose to fame with the enduring cult favorite The Usual Suspects has created a series of great films blending pop charm and excitement with more complicated and meaningful themes, including the nature of life on the border of or even outside societal tolerance. Singer's eighth feature, a comic and swift rendering of one of the world's best known fairy tales driven by impulses both modern and old-fashioned, is an exuberant, unqualified achievement of the highest caliber. The youthful British stars, Nicholas Hoult as the earnest title hero and Eleanor Tomlinson as his daring royal love interest, are beautiful, engaging, and fresh. A host of indispensable character actors and film stars provide dynamic aid, including a scene stealing Ewan McGregor as a clever and resourceful knight who could anchor his own adventure film with ease. The legion of foul, malevolent giants, realized in part through motion-capture performance, are as frightening, imposing, revolting, and, at times, hilarious as one could hope for. The thunderous action sequences, including a third-act castle siege, are defined by their awe-inspiring scope, playful sense of humor and motion, and a clear and crisp compositional style which complements the 3-D presentation. From frame one to a surprising and unusual ending charting how legend and myth evolve over time, this is nearly as perfect a fantasy adventure film as I can imagine and an absolute must-see.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:45 am
Orphan

Superman Returns sucked and was very boring.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:46 am
The Incredible Hulk

I'm of the opinion that SR was an admirable attempt to recapture the magic of the Richard Donner series. Certainly underated, glad to see someone out there agrees.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:31 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Yes, I love it. I know it is not the pulp action spectacular people desired, with Superman throwing the top of the Chrysler Building at Doomsday and so on and so forth, but I just find it so beautiful. It perfectly captures the melancholic side of the Superman equation: this man who cannot help but be part of human society, but also always above and apart from it.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:56 pm
Extraordinary

Quote:
Perfect adventure film...
A must see...

I'm flabbergasted!

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:39 pm
now we know

That's why I love David. When writing a film review, he reviews the film, and not the box office numbers.

Box office numbers influence so many people's opinion of a film on KJ.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Hey, I saw the film as well and I'm truly amazed by the "must see" "perfect" opinion on it. It's anything but and the box office tanking didn't affect my thoughts. What did affect my opinion was how slow and uninteresting the film was. How it's attempts at comedy are met with silence beyond the chuckling of 9 year olds and how the attempt to make the final battle something of note just left me rolling my eyes. I was really wanting to check this out. However, it did have wonderful costumes and Ewan mcgregors hair was fantastic.

#MAGA #KAG!

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:27 pm
now we know

In that case, then I also commend David on his bravery to go against the oncoming tide. He enjoyed it, and he can probably tell that others will not, yet he's happy to put himself out there.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

People will enjoy this in general. I have no doubt. I can tell when I love film, but will be in the extreme minority (Killing Them Softly), but this is such a joyous and spectacular entertainment. Even if they just discover it on home video, it will be remembered fondly by many.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:35 pm
You must have big rats

David wrote:
People will enjoy this in general. I have no doubt. I can tell when I love film, but will be in the extreme minority (Killing Them Softly), but this is such a joyous and spectacular entertainment. Even if they just discover it on home video, it will be remembered fondly by many.

Wouldn't you have thought the same of John Carter?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Yes. It is true of John Carter. John Carter is not a hated film in any way, shape, or form among general audiences. The opposite, in fact.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:48 pm
You must have big rats

I liked John Carter fair enough. But I am also well aware of the fact that, while not hated, it will simply be forgotten by most audiences very quickly. It'll remain a minor blip.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Yeah, I disliked John Carter, but I would never put it into the hate category for me or among general audiences. It's more just "meh" than a loathing of it, and thus people will forget it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Some quick thoughts:

+ McGregor was quite good and McShane is always welcome though I wish he would play a bad guy once in a while in movies as Deadwood was awesome.

+ Tucci too was entertaining and some of the attempts at humor in general worked.

+ Obviously was very expensive and the money for the most part showed up on-screen so it was kind of epic in that way.

- Hoult was a rather weak lead and had no chemistry with Tomlinson, who was also rather meh.

- The effects for the giants were ugly

- The mixing of tones didn't work always as it didn't seem sure whether it wanted to be a film for families or a more adult fantasy. Hansel & Gretel was far better at establishing a tone and going for it with gusto.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:00 am
Extraordinary

Harry Warden wrote:

- The mixing of tones didn't work always as it didn't seem sure whether it wanted to be a film for families or a more adult fantasy. Hansel & Gretel was far better at establishing a tone and going for it with gusto.

I agree with this. Being more HG might have made it better for me. Be a bit darker and less of an attempt at being family oriented with a splash of darkness.

#MAGA #KAG!

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 am
Pure Phase

I believe the balance of content and tone (adventure, light humor, the macabre, etc.) is just right. Similar to Labyrinth and the best parts of Willow.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:54 am
loyalfromlondon

Algren wrote:
In that case, then I also commend David on his bravery to go against the oncoming tide. He enjoyed it, and he can probably tell that others will not, yet he's happy to put himself out there.

Yes, it's very brave to post an anonymous film review on a box office forum frequented by less than a hundred people a day. The height of courage, really.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:09 pm
Pure Phase

I am not anonymous. I am David.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:28 pm
now we know

trixster wrote:
Algren wrote:

Yes, it's very brave to post an anonymous film review on a box office forum frequented by less than a hundred people a day. The height of courage, really.

When so many people pander to critics' opinions, it is brave to post your genuine thoughts, anonymous or not. Especially when the majority of the population here will criticise him for it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Nothing against David, but I don't think that praising Jack the Giant Slayer is really going against the tide. It's not exactly A Haunted House or Jack & Jill.

I am seeing it on Thursday and I am looking forward to it.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Nothing against David, but I don't think that praising Jack the Giant Slayer is really going against the tide. It's not exactly A Haunted House or Jack & Jill.

I am seeing it on Thursday and I am looking forward to it.
It was produced for a lot of money. It flopped at the box office. This is usually a flip-switch for haters to just hate on it for no reason. He didn't. I think that's commendable. Furthermore, he LOVED it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I think it's true love.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:38 pm
Extraordinary

I can't believe they spent 190+ million on this. I thought it was a snoozefest.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 pm
Pure Phase

I saw it again today. Even superior the second time. An absolute ace film.

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next