Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Dick Tracy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 10

Dick Tracy 
College Boy Z

Post Dick Tracy
Dick Tracy

Quote:
Dick Tracy is a 1990 American pulp action film based on the 1930s comic strip character of the same name created by Chester Gould. Warren Beatty produced, directed, and starred in the film, which features supporting roles from Al Pacino, Madonna, Glenne Headly, and Charlie Korsmo. Dick Tracy depicts the detective's love relationships with Breathless Mahoney and Tess Truehart, as well as his conflicts with crime boss Alphonse "Big Boy" Caprice. Tracy also begins his upbringing of "The Kid".

Development of the film started in the early 1980s with Tom Mankiewicz assigned to write the script. The project also went through directors Steven Spielberg, John Landis, Walter Hill, and Richard Benjamin before the arrival of Beatty. Filming was entirely at Universal Studios. Danny Elfman was hired to compose the film score, and the music was featured on three separate soundtrack albums.

Dick Tracy was released in 1990 to mixed reviews, but was generally a success at the box office and at awards time. It picked up seven Academy Award nominations and won in three of the categories: Best Original Song, Best Makeup and Best Art Direction. A sequel was planned, but a controversy over the film rights ensued between Beatty and Tribune Media Services, and the lawsuit still goes on, so a second film has not been produced.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:37 pm
Indiana Jones IV

While the plot is a tad bit repetitive, and Madonna's acting is really pretty bad, this movie is saved by it's vibrant use of color's as well as it's fun retro feel. Also, Warren Beatty isn't half bad in it either. Overall it's a...

B

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A+

one of the best conic bokk movies.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Good direction and Al Pacino save this movie. Thats all i am going to say.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This movie was excellent fun. Have to keep in mind that it was a PG family friendly movie, so its not going to have the sex, languagem and same gore that some other movies do. As far as comicbook turned film adaptations go, Tracy is actually one of the best. It set a precedence for synthetic color in comicmovie's and the characters are more true to comic form. I actually flipped through some old Dick Tracy comic books recently that had been compiled into one book, and I think the movie was even better after checkin gout the comics. this is how it was, but unlike some movies, at least they built a nice little story and dance sequences (courtesy Madonna in her only truly good role).

Sooner of Later is HOT! I love that song, it just oozes sex. I think all the characters were perfectly 2dimensional without being unsympathetic or a complete turn off. good humor, the best color, and a good little mystery for a family freindly turn. Extremely high on the rewatchability scale, and Pacino really enjoys his role.

A-

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:06 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Like a better SIN CITY. It's not perfect, but it's got some catchy-as-hell music, fun performances, and charm to spare. And it's just soooo beautiful to look at. You can just let it wash over you.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:13 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Everyday guantonama bay prisoners are unjustly tortured by making them watch Jay & Silent Bob. What the interrogators warm them up to before torturing them Kevin Smith film is first put them to sleep by showing them Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy movie. I never seen a movie more boring than watching paint dry. I guess the only thing that saves the movie is the colors
Huh huh huh psychodelic colors

F
2.0/10

Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:42 pm
Extraordinary

One of my favorites, too. I love the music, the look, and the humor of it. Pacino is excellent and I wish he had gotten the Oscar for this instead of Scent of a Woman which came out the same year. ("Wait a minute! Wait. Wait. I'm having a thought. Oh yes. Oh yes. I'm going to have a thought. It's coming. It's coming... It's gone.") Dustin Hoffman was hilarious and there are great supporting roles all around, even the kid was a good actor. Elfman's music is as great as ever, too.

I even bought Madonna's album with songs inspired by Dick Tracy -- excellent as well except for the lame "Vogue" which didn't fit the feel of the album at all.

Edit: Just checked IMDB -- the kid who played The Kid is now a Yale Law School graduate who is working in Washington for the Republican Policy Commission in the House of Representatives! My opinion of his acting has dropped. I wonder what liberal Warren Beatty thinks of this?!

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

The kid had a nice little career, with Hook the following year and What about Bob the year after, before popping up as the nerd in Can't hardly Wait.

Im like Dick Tacey, a fun movie to watch. B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:17 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Dick Tracy
This is kinda awesome. It's a great send-up of gangster films while also remaining true to its comic roots, and this is pulled off by the wonderfully made-up characters, the beautiful designs, the stylish direction, and the over-the-top performances. There are some great actors underneath that makeup and they give it all they've got, with Pacino, of course, standing out. The music (both Elfman's score and Sondheim's songs) adds a lot and Madonna embodies the femme fatale perfectly. It's nothing serious, but it's not supposed to be.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:09 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Dick Tracy
Dustin Hoffman and Al Pacino are hysterical in this, Beatty is a good Tracy. Very fun movie "When do we eat?"

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]