Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Identity Thief 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Identity Thief 
loyalfromlondon

Post Identity Thief
Identity Thief

Quote:
Identity Thief (previously titled ID Theft) is a 2013 comedy film directed by Seth Gordon released in theaters on February 8, 2013, starring Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy. The film is a buddy comedy/road film about a man who gets his identity stolen by a woman.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:46 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Identity Thief
Identity Thief is a mediocre diversion elevated and almost saved by its gifted stars, Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy. As a milquetoast executive and the rambunctious Florida woman who steals his identity and goes on a decadent spending spree, they both play to their established strength--he is the earnest, yet withering straight man to her wild comic carnival energy--and share a playful, at times downright sweet chemistry. A shame, then, they are caught in a film both overextended and half realized. Scenes of action and violence focused on a trio of criminals pursuing the heroes, one played by hip hop star turned "actor" T.I., are out of place, elongating the film's length while reducing its Planes, Trains and Automobiles style charm by half. And a St. Louis set third-act sequence in which Bateman's character, in a tight spot, engages in the exact same criminal behavior which almost ruins his life is unjustified and, even in a film as light as this, disconcerting.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:35 am
Extraordinary

IDENTITY THIEF

Melissa McCarthy is really good at comedy. She makes this film worth watching. Bateman is okay but he's just a bit to generic in how he speaks and how he acts for me of course. I also thought this film kind dwelled into Horrible Bosses territory with the slapstick criminal sub plot. If it had been just McCarthy and Bateman trying to get back Colorado without the crazy gunman or the other criminals then this could have been a really good comedy. Right now, it's just a good comedy but everything with McCarthy in the film is extremely entertaining and in a couple scenes a bit touching.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:08 pm
Extraordinary

This is so bad in some ways that its kind of good. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and the story is one of the worst I can recall for a big comedy in quite some time. McCarthy and Bateman work so well together that it kind of saves the movie. The other characters are just terrible. The side characters in Adam Sandler's movies have more substantive roles than in this movie.

McCarthy more or less makes the movie. The audience enjoyed it a lot so think it could get a decent run in theaters.

B

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

An admittedly scattered script and thin plot are counteracted by the charms of Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy. Not much more to say. An enjoyable enough comedy that gets the job done. B-

Last edited by Libs on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:17 pm
---------

Definitely enjoyed the Bateman vs. McCarthy scenes, but the bounty hunter / thugs after McCarthy seemed really out of place. I think I even missed why the guy and girl were after her in the first place and wanted to kill her so bad.

B

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:22 am
Pure Phase

She sold them bad credit cards. ;) Clearly a reason a major crime kingpin would initiate a nationwide assassination plot.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:52 pm
Superman: The Movie

Good first act, good last act, but holy shit is the middle of the film a fucking disaster. That sex scene was just embarrassing. And like David said, Bateman's character's actions in St. Louis aren't justified enough.

And why the hell is this film R again? I maybe heard one fuck?

** (C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

The Unrated Edition is pretty great.
B+

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:52 pm
why so serious?

It's hard to decide where the makers of Identity Thief go more wrong: in missing the mark with the humor, or in trying to incorporate some serious material into the film. While the concept has some potential and there's certainly some comedic talent involved, the final product is a mess that is worth a couple of chuckles at best and cringeworthy at worst. It isn't very funny because so many of the jokes are tired, and it makes the further mistake of trying to incorporate some drama and action into the proceedings. The drama, which comes mostly in the final half-hour, doesn't work because neither the film nor Melissa McCarthy's character come even remotely close to earning the "aww" moments the script gives them, and the instances in which the filmmakers bring in Robert Patrick as a bounty hunter are so jarring amid the otherwise relatively light tone that they feel like they belong in a different movie. Despite the fact that her post-Bridesmaids output has been less than stellar (though hopefully The Heat will turn things around), I still believe McCarthy has talent; none of it is on display here, however. She doesn't land many laughs, and her character's sudden remorse in the third act feels completely forced. Jason Bateman merely plays the same character he always plays, except that this character has almost no bite whatsoever. It's in the running with The Hangover: Part III as the most unfunny comedy of the year.

D

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:42 pm
The Kramer

So bad.

Sat May 17, 2014 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]