Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Warm Bodies 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Warm Bodies 
loyalfromlondon

Post Warm Bodies
Warm Bodies

Quote:
Warm Bodies is a 2013 Canadian paranormal romantic zombie comedy film based on Isaac Marion's popular 2011 novel of the same name. Directed and written by Jonathan Levine, the film stars Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer. This film focuses on the development of the relationship between Julie, a young woman, and "R",a zombie, and how their eventual romance developed throughout. The film is rare for its human characteristics in zombie characters. It is also unusual in such stories because it is told from the point of view of a zombie.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:25 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Warm Bodies
Probably the first hipster zombie flick. It's moderately clever and amusing for a bit, but then quickly devolves into a generic teen romance, where the power of love conquers all. Meh.

It also doesn't even bother trying to hide the fact that it's filmed in Montréal, despite (ostensibly) being set in the States. Lazy much?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 pm
You must have big rats

The first 20 minutes set it up REALLY well. Good atmosphere, interesting set-up, good ideas....it's all downhill from then on. I appreciate that it actually has *some* horror in it as opposed to Twilight, but overall, yes, someone calling it Twilight with Zombies isn't ENTIRELY off.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It never achieves the absolute perfect blend of the comic, the ghoulish, and the romantic it desires, and is therefore not in the same league as Shaun of the Dead, but Warm Bodies is still by and large a clever, engaging, and even sweet experiment in stylish genre hybridization, one worthy of a modest footnote in the grand history of brain devouring popular zombie culture. If the film has a trio of distinct gears and modes (neurotic a-day-in-the-undead-life humor, straightforward chase and monster action, and Twilight style supernatural romance), it is the action which proves the least engaging, undercut by a PG-13 rating and the decision to render the antagonists anonymous, identical, computer generated monsters rather than utilize practical methods to create more distinct nightmares. The film is never uproarious, but most of the humorous visual set pieces and one-liners hit the right note, including zombie protagonist R's reflective, self-doubting thoughts. Perhaps more surprising, the human drama and unconventional romance is convincing, with the charming and spirited Teresa Palmer deserving the lion's share of the credit.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:20 pm
Pure Phase

Seeing a person's memories by eating their brain has to be one of the strangest plot devices in recent memory. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:28 pm
You are waiting for a train

I more or less agree with David. The spins on zombie cliches were inspired and the performances were strong, but it felt slight, as if it never blended horror and comedy and romance that well.

Still, you could do far worse for February.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:31 pm
Extraordinary

It's slight. With a better script this could've been a great movie but it settles for being unsatisfactory but enjoyable in spots. Leads are very good though, really liked Palmer.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:56 pm
Extraordinary

WARM BODIES

I thought it was okay. Nothing special here. I did like the idea of him breaking out of his zombie state and becoming human again. The whole deal with the boneys and regular zombies and the humans fighting. That didn't do anything for me. This probably should have been an animated film instead. I thought Hoult did a good job and the girl. Malkovich was Paid.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am
On autopilot for the summer

So it's like a tamer daybreakers? Awesome Idea, some great ideas and performances, kind of bleh execution

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:36 am
Extraordinary

I thoroughly enjoyed Warm Bodies - - it's story is far more refined and consistent than this sort of genre pic has any right to be. The humor is smart and mostly subtle and remains in the service of the story.

The two leads were perfect, I fell in love with both of them as they did with each other.

I was a bit sad to see Analeigh Tipton relegated to a supporting role after her breakout role in Crazy, Stupid, Love, but nonetheless she aced all the small sarcastic reaction shots she was given here. Rob Riggle also continues to impress me with the quality of his acting, considering his roots in TV.

12 out of 5.

(Warm Bodies is an impressive improvement over director Jonathon Levine's previous movie 50/50!)

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:11 am
why so serious?

Warm Bodies is a clever and cute mashup of genres, even if it doesn't do as much as it could with the concept at hand. It's not as fresh or funny as other zombie comedies (namely, Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland), but it works a sort of quirky charm that keeps it afloat throughout its 98 minutes. Nicholas Hoult turns in another solid performance as the zombified protagonist, as he does a good job communicating his character's emotions primarily through his body language; his wry voiceover commentary is also fun to listen to. Teresa Palmer doesn't fare quite as well as the still-alive love interest, due mostly to the fact that her accent slips so frequently that it becomes distracting. However, the two do have reasonable chemistry with one another, and their love story works because of how cutely it comes across despite being so unconventional. Fortunately, it also doesn't neuter the mythology of its traditionally violent creatures the way Twilight did, although it's still a little awkward to see PG-13 level violence in a genre as inherently R-rated as the zombie film. Warm Bodies doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it's a good diversion while it lasts.

B

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:31 am
The Wall

This is one of the most dumbest and funniest movies I've ever seen.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:38 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Clever, funny, well-shot. Really enjoyed this a lot. Great soundtrack too.

B+

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:35 pm
Wallflower

be.redy wrote:
This is one of the most dumbest and funniest movies I've ever seen.

:P

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]