Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 What's Eating Gilbert Grape 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

loyalfromlondon

Post What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Quote:
What's Eating Gilbert Grape is a 1993 drama film directed by Lasse Hallström and starring Johnny Depp, Juliette Lewis and Leonardo DiCaprio. Peter Hedges wrote the screenplay, adapted from his 1991 novel of the same name. It was filmed in the Texas cities of Manor, Elgin, and Lockhart.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:45 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Post Re: What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Momma Grape, almost.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

This film is all about Leonardo DiCaprio's performance as the retarded brother of Gilbert Grape. I don't know what he won for it, but he deserved a lot. Such a masterful performance for a young kid. He made me feel uncomfortable, his performance was that good. Johnny Depp was also pretty good, but in a more dummed down sense, but at least it shows that he can act, sort of. His performances vary so much. The thing that didn't quite work for me was Juliette Lewis, she wasn't quite right, although I'll admit she does match up to the stereotype of a traveller, they always appear dirty.

Good film, but I wanted to see more scandal from Grape and his older woman's affair. But it's worth watching for the brilliance of Leo. No wonder everybody had such high hopes for him when he was younger. Oh, and in answer to the titles question (or is it rhetorical?), I think that frustration was eating Gilbert Grape, frustration that he wasn't doing something more with his life twinned with frustration of responsibility for his mother and brother. If indeed he was frustrated, then Depp did a poor job of showing that on screen. Would have been nice to see a sequel, though, but I suppose it didn't earn enough.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:23 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I always confuse with this with the The World According to Garp even though they are so different.

Film is solid enough. Good performances, but the film itself is just ok B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:53 am
Pure Phase

Algren wrote:
This film is all about Leonardo DiCaprio's performance as the retarded brother of Gilbert Grape. I don't know what he won for it, but he deserved a lot. Such a masterful performance for a young kid. He made me feel uncomfortable, his performance was that good.

Sadly, he lost to Tommy Lee Jones for The Fugitive. Jones is good in The Fugitive (I love "I don't care!" as much as the next person), but DiCaprio should have won. Or Pete Postlethwaite for In the Name of the Father.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:00 am
now we know

David wrote:
Algren wrote:
This film is all about Leonardo DiCaprio's performance as the retarded brother of Gilbert Grape. I don't know what he won for it, but he deserved a lot. Such a masterful performance for a young kid. He made me feel uncomfortable, his performance was that good.

Sadly, he lost to Tommy Lee Jones for The Fugitive. Jones is good in The Fugitive (I love "I don't care!" as much as the next person), but DiCaprio should have won. Or Pete Postlethwaite for In the Name of the Father.

I suppose they thought that DiCaprio had the rest of his career to win more Oscars whereas Lee Jones was probably on his last chance.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:23 am
Profile WWW

I watched this for the first time the other day. My roommate who typically has a bad taste in film talked about how much he loved this film and Leo's performance as Arnie, so it hit play on Netflix and he started watching the film. Meanwhile I was more than content playing Skyrim on the otherside of the room. Soon enough, however, I found myself engrossed in this film. The character, the acting, the aesthetics of a small midwestern town, they all match this theme of being trapped along with a story about a forced committment to family. Mix that all in with a sense of moral ambiguity and you have a great film. Still, I would find it hard watching this film too many times more due to its slow pace, but this film simply doesn't work any other way.

A-

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:17 pm
loyalfromlondon

Argos wrote:
Momma Grape, almost.

zing

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]