Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Promised Land 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Promised Land 
loyalfromlondon

Post Promised Land
Promised Land

Quote:
Promised Land is a 2012 American drama film directed by Gus Van Sant and starring Matt Damon, John Krasinski, Frances McDormand, and Hal Holbrook. The screenplay is written by Damon and Krasinski based on a story by Dave Eggers. Promised Land follows two corporate salespeople who visit a rural town in an attempt to buy drilling rights from the local residents.

Damon was originally attached to direct the film, but he was replaced by Van Sant. Filming took place mainly in Pittsburgh from early to mid-2012. During filming and afterward, the film's highlighting of the resource extraction process hydraulic fracturing, colloquially known as "fracking", emerged as a topic of debate.

The film had a limited release in the United States on December 28, 2012 and followed with a nationwide expansion on January 4, 2013. The film is scheduled to have its international premiere at the 63rd Berlin International Film Festival in February 2013.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:47 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Promised Land
It's mostly pretty good - well-acted and -directed, with a few interesting plot twists along the way - but the ending is far too safe and predictable for the film to register as very memorable. I should've figured that super-elitist liberals Damon and Krasinski would write a rather preachy and political script, but they could've (and should've) been more nuanced and subtle.

Still, Van Sant does a lot as essentially a director-for-hire, and it's generally engaging and funny. I just wish it was a bit more refined.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:51 pm
Wallflower

How is Rosemarie Dewitt?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:01 pm
loyalfromlondon

She's fine, but doesn't have a huge part. And doesn't really do much except stare at Damon and Krasinski longingly.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:19 pm
New Server, Same X

Pretty good. Nice to see Kiefer in an early role.

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:51 am
Wallflower

trixster wrote:
She's fine, but doesn't have a huge part. And doesn't really do much except stare at Damon and Krasinski longingly.

That's unfortunate. I love her. I think she's terribly underrated.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:33 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually loved this. Matt Damon was absolutely excellent and I thought Hal Holbrook and Frances McDormand delivered standout supporting performances. I also loved Rosemarie DeWitt and thought she shared a nice, natural chemistry with Damon. Definitely worth seeing - it's a shame it's going largely unnoticed. A-

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:18 pm
Profile YIM
Begging Naked

Man, I did not like this at all. It's a mediocre message movie undone by its stupid, stupid third act twist. THe more I think about that part the more annoyed I get.

McDormand is probably the best part of it all in a largely thankless role.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Intended both as an elegiac ode to the vanishing American family farm and as an earnest argument against the controversial energy-industry practice of using hydraulic fracturing to extract natural gas from the earth (and succeeding more as the former), Promised Land is a low-key and slight, but entertaining drama with a few distinct shortcomings, but also a noble purpose. Independent film icon Gus Van Sant, directing star and co-writer Matt Damon for the fourth time, captures the atmosphere and rhythm of rural life. His beautiful, melancholic, and mythic vision of the once great, now divided and troubled American farmland almost brings a tear to the eye. The visual and musical delights outpace a storyline defined by a halfhearted love triangle and a touching, yet still predictable central character arc (the ambitious, self-centered, and talented corporate predator's stone cold heart is softened and moved during his time among the salt of the earth), though top-notch performances by Damon, Frances McDormand, and the legendary Hal Holbrook help solidify the human drama to a certain extent. John Krasinski, however, is a shade out of his league, and a simplistic and strange third-act twist regarding his character further undermines his performance.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 pm
Wallflower

I thought the film and performances were great. Damon, McDormand, Holbrook, and the always lovely Rosemarie DeWitt are all very good, with McDormand probably being the standout. I think it's underrated.

8/10 (A-)

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]