Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Victory 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Victory 
loyalfromlondon

Post Victory
Victory

Quote:
Escape to Victory, known simply as Victory in North America, is a 1981 film about Allied prisoners of war who are interned in a German prison camp during World War II. The film was directed by John Huston and stars Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone, Max von Sydow and Daniel Massey.

The film received great attention upon its theatrical release, as it also starred professional footballers Bobby Moore, Osvaldo Ardiles, Kazimierz Deyna, Paul Van Himst, Mike Summerbee, Hallvar Thoresen and Pelé. Numerous Ipswich Town players were also in the film, including John Wark, Russell Osman, Laurie Sivell, Robin Turner and Kevin O'Callaghan. Further Ipswich Town players stood in for actors in the football scenes - Kevin Beattie for Michael Caine, and Paul Cooper for Sylvester Stallone. The script was written by Yabo Yablonsky.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:18 pm
now we know

Post Re: Victory
Escape to Victory (UK title)

Much like The Great Escape, it has the memorable whisle-worthy main tune, a bunch of POWs trying to escape and bevvy of well-known stars. It's such a lovely and happy movie to watch that I cannot say a bad word about it. Michael Caine, regardless of how much I am wary of him, is brilliant in this. Stallone is very American and that is exactly what is needed in the role. I love how Huston made Sly to be a novice and fool at football just because he's American - it's so true, especially in the 1940s, maybe not so much now. This film has football stars of the era too, but they're not the main attraction. Seeing Stallone in yet another sports film and acting great without the need for his creation is a great sight to see. The ending, the football match, is the best that's ever been filmed. Admittedly it's tricky to film football matches for a movie, but this one does a great job. Still a cult classic to this day.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:38 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I saw this. It's one of the John Huston movies you have to forget if you want to say you like John Huston. There's a lot of those

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:12 am
Keeping it Light

I didn't see this since I was a kid, and I was pretty impressed with it at that time. Rewatching it again, I found the first hour good but a bit slow, the finale though, the tension and flow of the game is still excellent. Despite knowing the ending this time around, it's still very satisfying to see the allied team return after half time and turn the game around. There's solid performances in the film from most of the cast, but it really revolves around Caine and Stallone, where the former is his usual self and the latter is nice to see in a less actiony role. The world war II setting is not a dreary as in other films around the subject, it's rather light even watching it as an adult, but believable still. It's a pretty classic war sports film.

B+

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]