Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Man with the Iron Fists 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

loyalfromlondon

Post The Man with the Iron Fists

Quote:
The Man with the Iron Fists is a 2012 martial arts film directed by RZA and written by RZA and Eli Roth. The film stars Russell Crowe, Cung Le, Lucy Liu, Byron Mann, RZA, Rick Yune, David Bautista, and Jamie Chung. Set in 19th century China, the story follows a series of lone warriors who are forced to unite to defeat a common foe and save their home of Jungle Village. The film was released in North America on November 2, 2012.

Development began as early as 2005 when RZA shared his idea for the film with director Eli Roth. After nearly two years of development by the pair, they were able to secure financial backing in May 2010. Filming began in December 2010 on a $20 million budget and concluded by March 2011. The film was shot entirely in China including the city of Shanghai. The film's score is composed by RZA and Howard Drossin, and its soundtrack is developed by RZA, featuring several new songs by various artists. A series of concerts were held to promote the film, featuring music from the soundtrack.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:32 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Man with the Iron Fists
This is a well-intentioned bomb and a bit of a bore, I'm sad to report. The blend of a strange cast, martial-arts camp, extreme violence, and alternative hip-hop music may result in a modest cult audience, but I find myself on the wrong side of the line separating understanding (recognizing its enthusiastic pop-culture references, for instance) from actual, quantifiable enjoyment. The pacing is inconsistent and never finds a proper action-movie rhythm, perhaps because the enterprise is too pleased with itself to remember the audience. Even in a film as heightened and niche as this, there should be at least a sense of internal logic and flow. The action sequences are undermined by godawful editing and photography. No doubt awe-inspiring stunts are obscured again and again by claustrophobic framing and rapid-fire cuts. Perhaps the worst and most damning flaw: let's just say, a certain hip-hop legend should have stayed behind the camera this time out and found a more nuanced and riveting performer for the lead role and narrator. At least an over-the-top Russell Crowe provides a few smiles, even if this may be the worst film of his A-list career.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:06 am
Pure Phase

I saw the Django Unchained trailer, but no Tarantino introduction. Sad.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:07 am
Pure Phase

Casting himself as the main character was such a huge mishap. He is decent in minor roles (in American Gangster, for example), but he is so boring here. He seems half asleep. It is the worst feeling when it cuts away from Crowe to him. Deflating.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:18 am
College Boy Z

Yeah, pretty meh. Kinda disappointed.

Some cool action scenes, but nothing memorable.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:31 am
Where will you be?

The perfect movie to sneak in a bottle of Seagram's.

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:21 pm
loyalfromlondon

RZA is definitely not much of an actor (nor a director, for that matter), but I still had fun with this. Crowe is terrific, as per usual, and the action is appropriately ridiculous and over-the-top.

It's also quite unnerving to see a kung fu movie where everyone's speaking perfect English.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:36 pm
The Kramer

So who was the dart blower? And did that save him at the end or was that just a memory that fueled his punches? Cause Poison Arrow was already dead and on the same side as Brass Body anyways.

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:57 pm
now we know

TV movie-level crap.

F

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]