Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Smashed 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Smashed 
loyalfromlondon

Post Smashed
Smashed

Quote:
Smashed is a 2012 American comedy-drama film directed by James Ponsoldt, written by Ponsoldt and Susan Burke, and starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul. The film premiered at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival on January 22, 2012 and won the U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Prize for Excellence in Independent Film Producing. On February 5, the film was picked up by Sony Pictures Classics and on August 8, a release date of October 12, 2012 was set.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:56 am
Leader of the Pack

Post Re: Smashed
A great performance lost in a muddled mess of a screenplay. Not a horrible movie by any means, just not as focused and poignant as it should have been. Also way too short. But seriously, Winstead better get an Oscar nom.

B-

Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:10 am
Pure Phase

I agree it's a bit too short (the third act in particular), but each scene rings true, it is often hilarious in addition to the expected scenes of degradation and sorrow, and Winstead is astonishing.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:24 am
Extraordinary

Never thought much about Winstead (she was one of the weakest links in the strong Scott Pilgrim ensemble) before seeing this but she does give a really fantastic performance in this. Movie's good, nothing extraordinary.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:42 pm
Wallflower

I seriously want to know if there's some sort of prerequisite that says all indie movies have to end the same. Now, a lot of times I have no problem with the endings of them, but other times it just feels like it ended that way for the sole fact that it's an independent production. Smashed is one of those films. I didn't hate the ending, but I didn't feel that ending was necessary here. Aside from that I thought this was a terrific film, thanks in large part to an utterly fantastic lead performance by Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Scott Pilgrim vs. The World) as a woman struggling with alcoholism. She was so robbed of an Oscar nomination. She has never been better than she is here. I hope her role here will get her more recognition. She really just blew me away with her raw performance.

For such a cheap production budget I thought this movie looked really good. I'm always impressed when a movie can look so good for so little money (by film budget standards).

Despite the heavy subject matter I really didn't find this film to be overly depressing so I wouldn't let that scare anyone off from watching it. It's a serious movie but also has its fair share of humor. This is probably one of the best films I've seen on the subject. I'd definitely recommend it.

A-

Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 am
now we know

Title and poster do not match. I expected to see some British thug scrawled out on the street with a bottle in one hand and a tenner in the other and with piss stains on his jeans.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 am
Profile WWW
You are waiting for a train

I think that irony might be the point!

I finally saw this last week and quite liked it. Not perfect, but definitely an earnest and intimate movie, anchored by a great performance by Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:23 pm
now we know

Gopher wrote:
I think that irony might be the point!

Haven't seen the film, so I can't tell.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:28 pm