Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dredd 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Dredd 
loyalfromlondon

Post Dredd
Dredd

Quote:
Dredd is a 2012 science fiction action film directed by Pete Travis and written by Alex Garland. The British/South African co-production is based on the 2000 AD comic strip Judge Dredd and its eponymous character created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra. Karl Urban stars as Judge Dredd, a law enforcer given the power of judge, jury and executioner in the vast dystopian metropolis of Mega-City One that lies within a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Alongside rookie Judge Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), Dredd is forced to bring order to a feared 200-story slum and its resident drug lord, Ma-Ma (Lena Headey).

Garland began writing the script as early as 2006, although development of a new Judge Dredd film adaptation was not announced until December 2008, that would be unrelated to the 1995 film adaptation Judge Dredd. Principal photography began in November 2010, with an estimated US$45 million budget. The project was shot using 3D cameras throughout on practical sets, and on location in the South African cities of Cape Town and Johannesburg. Dredd was released on 7 September 2012 in the United Kingdom, and on 21 September 2012 worldwide.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:19 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Dredd
To be brutally honest its a single drug raid in a apt block.

Although because of that it works. Urban is the perfect Judge, the action is measured, and the development of the characters are finely honed. I honestly was surprised and pleasantly so. Don't expect a big budget action movie and you should enjoy it. At least you will enjoy the craft of the people behind it.

Side note this really earns it R rating, its almost as queasy as a no comment euronews piece out of Syria.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:02 am
Extraordinary

DREDD 3D

Watched this last night and was very entertained. I liked the gritty more realistic approach rather than the comical aspect in the Stallone flick. I liked the graphic nature of the violence. It was nice. There were a few nice "ahh" moments for me in the film. I liked the rookie cop. She was good too. As far as the 3D, umm as always 3D is so ehh. It's hard to really tell anymore. Overall, I'm happy with how this film turned out and would Love to see another one if it can make enough money.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:28 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

A-

Awesome stuff, I really wish they could make a sequel.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:38 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Ultra-violent, totally nihilistic, and super badass. And far, far better than the original.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:31 am
You must have big rats

My press screening is next week...so how's the 3D-aspect?

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It is one of the best uses of 3-D I've seen, up there with Resident Evil: Afterlife and Hugo.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 pm
loyalfromlondon

It's pretty good. It's one of the first films I can think of where they actually used the 3D to distinguish between the foreground and the background, i.e. I could actually tell it was 3D. Of course, like all other 3D films, my eyes adjusted pretty quickly and I ended up not noticing it at all. But it worked while it lasted.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 pm
You must have big rats

Ah, thanks for the reports, sounds quite good. Hope the screening's in 3D (should be, though)

trixster wrote:
It's pretty good. It's one of the first films I can think of where they actually used the 3D to distinguish between the foreground and the background, i.e. I could actually tell it was 3D. Of course, like all other 3D films, my eyes adjusted pretty quickly and I ended up not noticing it at all. But it worked while it lasted.

Even Hugo? Because that is a film that so greatly benefits from 3D, IMO...

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Even Hugo.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:55 am
On autopilot for the summer

I don't understand, Your eyes adjust to 3D?? I can understand shitty 3D or where it's poorly done that you can't tell the difference, but if something pops out at you, you won't notice it?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:02 pm
Extraordinary

Dredd was quite good, if forgettable.

The violence was clearly shot for psycho violence fetishists, and if that's your thing, I'm sure it's quite a turn on.

Also, I missed the humor of the original and it's glorious 2Dness.

4 out of 5.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:34 pm
Cream of the Crop

This movie was fuckin' awesome!

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I watched this on Blu-ray tonight, my third viewing overall. This is definitely one of the 20 or even 15 best films of last year. Within its niche, it is just perfect: brutal, hilarious, kick-ass, satiric, a visual feast, etc. Anyone with any love for early John Carpenter or Ridley Scott should see this.

I am so glad there is at long last a definitive Judge Dredd film, even if we will not see a sequel ( :( ).

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:26 am
now we know

I enjoyed it. As the type of Dredd film that we all expected the first time, it scores, but it also misses on a few things. The violence and depression were great, as was Karl Urban as Dredd. Some of the violence was just insane. Olivia Thirlby was fantastic as Judge Anderson. Not only was she sexy, but she totally kicked ass when she got a thirst for it after killing that black woman's partner. I wish they showed more of what that black perp was thinking when he was imagining her naked and sucking his cock. I wish..

The story was wafer thin, much worse than Judge Dredd. The story wasn't the same as The Raid, though I can see why the comparisons are made. The music, in parts, was great, usually in the "slow-mo" scenes. Setting it all in one building for a first movie in a possible franchise (little did they know it would be one of the biggest bombs ever) was a weird thing to do. It narrows your options and doesn't really show off the best of any of the characters. I'm sure there were better stories in 2000AD than that, unless that was an original story, in which case there's your problem.

As the movie chugs along it does get good and apart from using bullets to kill each person, some ingenuity is involved because they start to run out of bullets. I think to make the film really good they should have had a proper villain, not some woman with a scar on her cheek. It was so cheap. They should have had Ma-Ma as being an older woman, or a totally different villain altogether, Rico or Judge Death. One thing I didn't like was when Urban had a lot of dialogue to give in one go, his voice would lose that cool, husky, lowness and instead just be Urban's normal voice. I cannot believe the director or Urban himself didn't notice that. It was like watching Batman/Bruce Wayne again with the changing voices. But thankfully it didn't happen often because Dredd is a man of few words.

Visually it was great, if a bit dark, but it gave me lots of opportunities at nostalgia. Many of the shots of Dredd reminded me of the comics that I used to read. This particular Dredd aims at a different style in the comics; a very early Dredd. Stallone's Dredd portrays the more commonly drawn version. That is the difference.

See how what Urban's Dredd is based on is much more manouvreable, whereas Stallone's is heavy and has the big golden eagle on the shoulder. Just different Dredd's, and I can respect that totally. I love Stallone's Dredd, but I also like this one too. I suppose if I had to choose one, I'd go with this one because it was more mature and graphic, which is how the comics used to be for me, and that element to the comics is how it differentiated itself from other comics. The comics were also quite camp and cheesy in their dialogue, and that was lacking in Dredd 3D.

It was a shame that Urban didn't use any one liners (as comic Dredd does), but I can let that wash. Urban's "I am the law" line was more cooly delivered but it wasn't comic enough and therefore not as appropriate as Stallone's use of the line. Urban totally rocked the facial grimace of Dredd too, which was great, but then so did Stallone (without even needing to act).

Overall, it was a competent comic book movie that uses most of what the comic gives the character and to great effect. I would like to see a sequel to this one with more outside stuff going on (like how they teased us before and after the Peachtrees lock-in). Let's not kid ourselves, though, it's the violence and the serious tone that sets this one apart. I'm actually glad there are two versions; one is for grown ups and one can be viewed by children.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:48 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Fuck yeah! Can we please make this into a TV show?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:27 am
On autopilot for the summer

Good time waster, that's about it. Nice production values and action considering the budget, and Urban is good in the lead.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 pm
Forum General

Judge Dredd is a good storyline and is a character that would be rather popular with the average person.

They should think about making a sequel or doing something to spin off this film.

I really enjoyed this film...

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

What a shame this flopped at the Box Office. I understand. It didn't look like it would be anything special. I didn't even think I'd see it before the great reviews came out, and even then I didn't until Blu-ray. But it was a blast and will have a cult following for sure. It has already been doing solid business in sales. I wish we could get a sequel. Sadly that won't happen, but it would be nice. There's no doubt in my mind a sequel would increase at the Box Office, likely at least doubling what the first did. But I believe it just made too little for them to consider it, even if it does gain a following. Could certainly work as a TV show though.

Really enjoyed Olivia Thirlby in it and Lena Heady's Ma-Ma was a pretty bad-ass villain.

8/10 (B+)

Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:29 am
You must have big rats

B+

It is such a blast and about as good a "2000 AD"/Judge Dredd-adaptation as it can get (sorry Algren). Karl Urban does a great job (with his voice and his chin, heh) and Olivia Thirlby is actually a worthwhile addition. Lena Headey makes for a surprisingly cool villain here, but the real star is the action. Of course one can say that it looks way too similar to The Raid to really impress, but frankly I found the action not as redundant (but also not as insane) as in The Raid, so I think both can perfectly co-exist. I also really enjoyed the 3D in this one. I will keep my fingers crossed for a sequel, though I am not holding my breath.

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Nah, you can get a much better adaptation than this. It lacked in many areas.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Are you familiar with the source material?

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Read my review and you'll find out.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:02 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

TL/DR

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:11 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Too long/didn't read? Come on, use that superior brain capacity you have! ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next