Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 ATM 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

ATM 
loyalfromlondon

Post ATM
ATM

Quote:
ATM is a horror film directed by David Brooks and starring Alice Eve, Josh Peck, Brian Geraghty and Ashvin Singh.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:40 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: ATM
A crushing bore of a one-location, almost-real-time genre film. Even P2 is a masterpiece by comparison. There is, I swear, one decent moment: when the three friends first see the murderous antagonist outside the ATM. The way their lighthearted evening turns a bit sinister in just a moment's time (is he a threat? is he just waiting to use the ATM after they leave?) is handled well. No over-the-top musical note, just the quiet emergence of a figure on the other side of the window. Then the entire enterprise goes sideways. Listen, I can suspend my disbelief, but 90 percent of this film is just pure and idiotic B.S. They have so many chances to escape or even to fight (it is three against one, and there is no gun in play). It becomes absurd. And, in a way, the film almost seems bored with itself. There's no flair. It earns its R rating more for language than any inventive violence (one character seems to die from a small fall). And it has this strange third-act epilogue which goes on and on and on, as if the film is trying to convince viewers it is clever and was worth their time. But it is not, and it wasn't.

Alice Eve is sexy, though. And a creepy version of "Silent Night" plays over the end credits.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:07 am
Leader of the Pack

P2 is no masterpiece by any standards... But this really sucks. We all know people in horror films are stupid, but this is a new level of stupid :disgust:

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:53 am
now we know

I thought it was kind of cool and a little unique. I really like Josh Peck, and I only twigged at the end that he was from that Saturday morning kids show, was it Drake and Josh? Anyway, I like him, he's cool and has a super nice voice and personality. He plays that young adult wise guy douche role to perfection. I may search for a few more films with him in.

It wasn't scary, but it was interesting and very good at the 'what would I do in this situation' game that every horror movie plays with its audience. There's not much to the film, and there were tons of occasions when the three victims could have escaped, but I enjoyed it and had wanted to watch it for a while. The movie could, however, have been more eerie and made the killers' face (eye area) concealed for the duration. In fact, I also think making the killers' motives a little clearer might have worked. I am sure he was just a serial killer who likes to play with his victims, but it would have been cooler if throughout the film they connected the dots and saw that he was linked to one of them (that would have meant a longer pre-ATM sequence).

I can see P2 being mentioned in the comments below, well this was ten times better than that crap. I hope a sequel gets made. I'd watch it.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:50 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

A fairly fun, tense thriller with all the normal cliches is derailed entirely by a god-awful ending. Just cutting it off about five minutes sooner would have made it more enjoyable, but it drags on and on.

On the plus side, I expected a happy ending, which the film does not give at all. And I can't believe Alice Eve was killed off in such a weird way. I'm still not sure she was dead, except the crybaby wailing her not-boyfriend does as he holds her.

Ambiguous and not in a good way. But up until they set off the alarm, it's actually a decent time-killer. I suspect the writer(s) had several different endings and they all sucked. No way this was their best effort.

**/****

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]