Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Savages 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Savages 
loyalfromlondon

Post Savages
Savages

Quote:
Savages is a 2012 American action thriller film directed by Oliver Stone. It is based on the novel of the same name by Don Winslow. The screenplay was written by Shane Salerno, Winslow and Stone. The film was released on July 6, 2012, and features an ensemble cast including Taylor Kitsch, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Blake Lively, Salma Hayek, Benicio del Toro and John Travolta.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:16 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Savages
I thought it was awesome. Very fast-paced and stylish, with great performances across the board (even Blake Lively, who I was worried about based on the trailer, does a really solid job here). Salma Hayek is fantastic and steals every scene she is in with a scenery-chewing turn, and Benicio del Toro also stands out and is appropriately menacing. It's certainly one of the more violent films I've seen as of late, but it doesn't feel exploitative. I also liked how it often played with viewer expectations (especially during the climax) and also wasn't afraid to make its villains seem somewhat sympathetic. A great summer action film. A-

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:20 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=772

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:36 am
Pure Phase

The best scene in this movie is the confrontation between Del Toro and Travolta at the latter's house. Electrifying acting and writing.

The Funny Games style ending reversal seems to be a big issue for a lot of people, but I didn't mind it.

P.S. Whose dog did Emile Hirsch run over between Into the Wild and now? Speed Racer bombed, all right, but Christ. What happened to this dude? This is far, far, far superior to The Darkest Hour, but still a small and fairly bland role.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:45 am
College Boy Z

Really liked it.

It's really fast-paced, exciting and cool. All the performances were ranged from really solid (the main three) to terrific (Salma Hayek and Del Toro). Really felt like old school Oliver Stone. I liked how they showed the "good" guys being capable of doing bad things to get what they want, while the "bad" guys having some compassion (best example being Salma Hayek's care for O, like a daughter).

The ending? Eh. I can appreciate playing with the audience's expectations on the ending and such, but when it's all over, I just wasn't satisfied with it. Even O's "dream" ending felt more complete than what actually happened.

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:27 pm
Sbil

The movie definitely has its moments but it's rather uneven. This covers pretty much every aspect of the movie, which goes from high-charged brutality in one moment to overly low-key "talky" sections. It also includes the acting: the three young leads (Taylor Kitsch, Blake Lively, Aaron Johnson) are fine if bland, while the older actors mostly chew on the scenery. Salma Hayek is terrific, though. It's not one of the worst films Oliver Stone has made, and in fact I could make a case for it being a solid DVD rental type of film, but for a film that was being hailed as a return to lurid form for him in many respects, Savages doesn't feel quite savage enough. C+

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:20 am
Extraordinary

The mix of humor and earnestness in Savages was just right - - what a pleasant surprise!

18 out of 5.

Spoiler: show
(I especially liked the references to the threesome being the eponymous "savages" because of their unusual relationship.)

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:44 pm
Extraordinary

"I have orgasms, he has wargasms". :wacko:

I thought the movie was okay, I think it could have been a lot more interesting and grittier though. Enjoyed the scenes with Salma Hayek the most.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:10 pm
Sbil

publicenemy#1 wrote:
"I have orgasms, he has wargasms". :wacko:

Yeah I dunno if that line was also in the book but that is certainly a contender for "worst piece of dialogue of 2012."

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:15 pm

I don't know, it's about a polyamerous relationship and pot, how do I dislike that?
On the other hand, it's not a great movie. The veteran actors are pretty uninvested and dull, Lively sucks and the persistent voice-over was entirely unneeded save for the end twist which I liked but was silly. It's a pretty wild silly project, but we need more movies on this subject matter so I support it overall.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:33 pm
Wallflower

I thought it was really entertaining. Kind of wish they'd have stuck with the first ending though. I haven't read the book but apparently that's how the book ended. Not sure why they felt the need to change it. Oh well, still really enjoyed the movie. It's getting way too much flack from people.

I'm also annoyed by all of the males complaining that it has male nudity. Like there aren't enough action movies with tits galore.

8/10 (B+)

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:28 am
loyalfromlondon

Magic Mike wrote:
I'm also annoyed by all of the males complaining that it has male nudity.

Not one person in this thread even commented on the male nudity before you mentioned it. So what're you talking about?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:28 am
Forum General

There have been a lot of mainstream movie goers and people on other forums discussing being annoyed about the male nudity in the film.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

movies35 wrote:
There have been a lot of mainstream movie goers and people on other forums discussing being annoyed about the male nudity in the film.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Just check the IMDB board. You'll find plenty of threads about it. And I know a few guys who saw it theatrically and mentioned it.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:28 am
College Boy T

What do you expect from IMDB's board?

Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:29 am
Forum General

Not a bad film to watch if bored at home.

B

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I wasn't a fan at all. This and The Amazing Spider-Man are definitely the two most disappointing films of the year for me (so far anyway). I missed this one in theaters and was so upset. Tuesday morning the first time I did was order this on my TV and I'm not going to lie, it started out really good. I was enjoying the characters and was even forgiving the terrible narration and some of the terrible dialogue because I was actually interested. Cut to Blake Lively being kidnapped and the whole fucking movie just stops. It gets so boring and I couldn't care less who lived and who died. I couldn't wait for it to be over. I'll be kind of nice though because I did like the first 45 minutes or so.

5/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:30 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

This was just awful. The dialogue and a lot of the scenes are purely laughable (O's crying to mommy scene probably being the most over the top). None of the acting is really that good with Hayek and Lively probably being the worst of the group. It just gets worse and worse as it goes on though the second ending is ok I guess.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Well, I thought it was a very good drug/crime thriller. Oliver Stone has never impressed me. Platoon, Born of the Fourth of July, Natural Born Killers, U Turn, Alexander, and World Trade Center are all bad movies, but Savages was impressive. Apart from the cop-out double ending, it was doing so well. All of the performances were great. I had no problems with Taylor Kitsch or Emile Hirsch, which is surprising as they were two of the worst actors on the planet before I saw this film. It was lovely to see John Travolta and Salma Hayek as I've not seen them in years, it seems. Blake Lively, meh, but whatever. Benicio Del Toro is awesome, but then he always is. For me, it shares things with Traffic and Goodfellas, in fact it's like a hybrid of the two. It took its time and concentrated on the development, which I appreciated.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]