Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Prometheus 

What grade would you give this film?
A 47%  47%  [ 16 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 10 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 34

Prometheus 
loyalfromlondon

Post Prometheus
Prometheus

Quote:
Prometheus is a 2012 American science fiction film directed by Ridley Scott and written by Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof. The film stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green, and Charlize Theron. Set in the late 21st century, the story centers on the crew of the spaceship Prometheus as they follow a star map discovered among the remnants of several ancient Earth cultures. Led to a distant world and an advanced civilization, the crew seeks the origins of humanity, but instead discovers a threat that could cause the extinction of the human race.

The film began development in the early 2000s as a fifth entry in the Alien franchise, with both Scott and director James Cameron developing ideas for a film that would serve as a prequel to Scott's 1979 science fiction horror film Alien. By 2003, the project was sidelined by the development of Alien vs. Predator, and remained dormant until 2009 when Scott again showed interest. A script by Spaihts acted as a prequel to the events of the Alien films, but Scott opted for a different direction to avoid repeating cues from those films. In late 2010, he brought Lindelof onto the project to rewrite Spaihts' script, and together they developed a separate story that precedes the story of Alien but is not directly connected to that franchise. According to Scott, though the film shares "strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak", and takes place in the same universe, Prometheus explores its own mythology and ideas.

The film entered production in April 2010, with extensive design phases developing the technology and creatures the film required. Principal photography began in March 2011, on an estimated $120–130 million budget, with filming taking place almost entirely on practical sets and on location in England, Iceland, Spain, and Scotland. The film was shot entirely using 3D cameras.

Prometheus was supported by a marketing campaign that included viral activities on the web. The campaign released three videos that featured stars from the film, in character, which expanded on elements of the fictional universe and received a generally positive reception. Prometheus was released on June 1, 2012 in the United Kingdom and was released on June 8, 2012 in North America.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:00 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Prometheus
Super Quick Review: Yes its pretty great.

Slightly Longer Review:

Its interesting, it looks beautiful and it toys with you through the majority of its running time without you feeling too short changed.

The statements about it being a tangential prequel to Alien it pretty much on the money. Oh the slimey gits are present but mainly in a beta format with facehuggers showing up with extra worm abilities and agility, and they do less face hugging and more straight using mouths as unwilling blowjob dispensers. But again its a sideshow main trust is the whole jazz of the journey and the reasons of this lot landing up on a planet that makes The Burren look habitable by comparison.

The meat of the sandwich is heavy with all that why are we here, is there a deeper purpose to life, Can one reconcile faith with the discovery of conflicting evidence, will Idris Elba shag Charlise Theron you know the deep stuff. Thankfully again its all handled with a deft touch and does not weight you down until you needed an enema of 6 straight Deathwish movies to remove it.

Do you get an answer to all the question in the trailer? No of course you don't if you think you would you clearly are a nutter or a member of a church that worships ridley scotts left earlobe or something. But its the journey that's always the fun part, and the journey here is a silken road of comfort and fun. That said one section does really crush you with its refusal to answer, its fatalism really does work and without giving to much away but it involves Guy Pearce and a rather massive head injury. I guess sometimes what you seek will not be answered or answered rather painfully.

All this non answery stuff does mean the film sets up massively for a sequel, its got places to go places beyond the Alien linkage to something unrelated.

Again I should mention for the budget this film looks amazing. Seriously Ridley has clearly discovered how to make things shiny without deploying all the budgetary skill of the Greek government. For one they remembered to not coat every scene in grim darkness, probably for the best because that would be a disaster in 3D. (Saw it in 2D myself).

So yea, great film that largely lived up to the hype for me. Its not the second coming of Christ or anything but as a peice of multiplex existentialism you can do a lot worse. Oh and yes the last shot of the film is geekily satisfying.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:46 pm
Superfreak

I saw Prometheus in 3d.

Wasn't really anticipating it much, just had the chance and took it. Visually, it is absolutely amazing. DEF. one of those movies one must see in 3-D. It is a good movie, no gladiator or alien, but certainly a good movie. IDK if I will see it on dvd or whatever, but the 3-D was awesome with this one.

A-

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:01 pm
Forum General

It's pretty generic, sub-standard stuff.

Nothing you've not seen before, except the visuals but then you can pretty much defend Transformers, Star Wars and Battleship with that matntra too.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

If Madagascar 3 is a dunce which makes inappropriate and unfunny jokes, Prometheus is the obnoxious snob who has as much brains as a vegetable.

Madagascar 3 Under 100m

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thank you for clarifying that eight hours later.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:08 am
Forum General

Always welcome, tell me when you're disappointed.

Madagascar 3 Under 100m

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I saw it two weeks ago.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:19 am
Forum General

Oh, well, whatever then, I don't know what grade you gave it or if you liked it.

I assume you did, care to tell us why?

Madagascar 3 Under 100m

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

PROMETHEUS

Watched it last night at 12.01 show that was able to sell out by showtime. I was happy about that even though I ended up sitting on the side. I enjoyed this movie. I liked the style and look. The futuristic feel was well done. Fassbender was great and Theron was good too in her limited role. I liked the feeling of discovery that began in the film but I admit it kind of got "routine" towards the end. Plus, there was a lot of explaining done by characters about things that maybe shouldn't be outright verbally said or was obvious to the viewer by reading a screen in another case. I do have a couple questions.

Spoiler: show
Is the final creature an actual alien like the previous films or just a hybrid.

Why was that face hugger so huge? I'm still confused about the face hugger. It was just born but it's not like it was feeding on anything yet it was so massive.

Why did David infect the scientist? I assume the cross contamination was just a bonus, but I don't get the purpose of infecting him.

The film makes me want to watch Alien again which I will put on the list this weekend.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:12 am
Extraordinary

1. It's an early version of the alien, a step or two away from the classic version.

2. It's a proto-facehugger. Presumably it just grows quickly -- it certainly did inside Shaw.

3. Curiosity. He just wanted to see what would happen.

I saw it for a second time and I'm leaning towards a B. The first hour is absolutely perfect before devolving into a fairly mediocre horror movie with utterly stupid characters ("Hi there, you cute malicious- looking snake creature!").

Fassbender carries the film, and Theron is also quite good.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:30 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The Dark Shape wrote:
1. It's an early version of the alien, a step or two away from the classic version.

2. It's a proto-facehugger. Presumably it just grows quickly -- it certainly did inside Shaw.

3. Curiosity. He just wanted to see what would happen.

I saw it for a second time and I'm leaning towards a B. The first hour is absolutely perfect before devolving into a fairly mediocre horror movie with utterly stupid characters ("Hi there, you cute malicious- looking snake creature!").

Fassbender carries the film, and Theron is also quite good.

Yea that probably is about right. I tend to be more forgiving about the drift though, my lack of not being a Hollywood script writer does that. Although I will say one section really is rather lazy

When Shaw is Alien preggers. Fassbender knocks her out, ok I can live with that, she wakes knocks out the people and runs, ok contrived but again ill accept. She gets into the pod, removes alien, gets out and meets up with fassbender and pearce and thru all this nobody tries to stop her and its kind of glossed over. Ok movie how you are just ripping the piss with your badly inserted action sequence. Movie: But I look so pretty! Me: Ok I'll forgive you.....this time!

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:39 am
Extraordinary

Quick -- which Alien franchise film am I describing?

Ancient civilizations with no known contact are discovered to have all been shaped by a god-like alien race. After humans attempt to discover the connection, they're attacked by alien creatures bred by the 'gods.' In the end, the last of the gods is impregnated by one of their own creatures. The final shot of the movie is an alien bursting from its chest, and just as its second set of jaws is revealed, we cut to black.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:16 pm
On autopilot for the summer

The Dark Shape wrote:
Quick -- which Alien franchise film am I describing?

Ancient civilizations with no known contact are discovered to have all been shaped by a god-like alien race. After humans attempt to discover the connection, they're attacked by alien creatures bred by the 'gods.' In the end, the last of the gods is impregnated by one of their own creatures. The final shot of the movie is an alien bursting from its chest, and just as its second set of jaws is revealed, we cut to black.

I said the exact same thing Dark Shape. I couldn't believe the plotline was almost cut and paste to that.

As an Alien Prequel, it's fucking terrible. Granted Scott said it's not an Alien film at all but the trailers are completely misleading you to the contrary. The film as a whole does nothing but adds more questions and not even answer a single one.

I know Scott hates everything about the franchise except his own circle jerk, but why couldn't the space Jockey at least give birth to a queen. That at least could have answered how we get the normal face huggers and go from there. Now we're left with a film that takes place on an entirely different planet LV-223, nothing about that planet or the mysterious SOS, all kinds of unexplained creatures that range from Alien to The Thing knock offs and to top it off we learn not only nothing about either species but nothing about humans either except through a few throwaway lines

Rant out of the way, what is left is an effective sci fi horror film that looks beautiful. It Has more themes then it knows what to do with and a paper thin plot, and sacrifices answering any of it's proposed ideas in favor of nameless deaths after another, which is fine. There's very little build up, but the production itself is so well done that even By-The-numbers is better than average. Acting is very solid, and the thrills are genuinely solid. I had a good time watching it and am definitely down for a sequel. It's good enough to bring class back to the franchise, but it has a long way to go to lead to anything significant.

It looks and sounds great though, and the 3D is very well used.

B+ right now, once my disappointment goes to a more stand alone level, I may like it more.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:23 pm
Extraordinary

Scott's apparently really fond of Aliens, and there's a pretty clear reference to it in this film with Weyland Corp's motto being "Building Better Worlds."

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:31 pm

The Dark Shape wrote:
Scott's apparently really fond of Aliens, and there's a pretty clear reference to it in this film with Weyland Corp's motto being "Building Better Worlds."

Wasn't Cameron involved at some point in the real early stages with Scott? It's hard to ignore a sequel to your film that is more popular and won more awards to at least some degree

Not learning the company's motives is a shame too. All these years. Weyland is dead as is his NOK, looks like it will all come down to Yutani

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:55 pm
Indiana Jones IV

What a disappointing and frustrating movie. I just wasted $15. It's actually somewhat good, but it is incredibly frustrating to have this fucking movie making you ask a bunch of questions and not answering any of them.

3/5 stars

They should have stuck with their first idea of making it an Alien prequel. I hope they don't make a sequel.

3- Lone Survivor 8.5/10
4- Captain America 8.0/10
5- 300: 8.0/10

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thegun wrote:
Wasn't Cameron involved at some point in the real early stages with Scott?

They had talked about working together -- Cameron writing, Scott directing -- on an Alien 5, but that got shelved when Fox went forward with Alien vs. Predator.

I'm not terribly bothered by the lack of answers in Prometheus. I like the fact that we never understand the Engineers.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:01 pm
Another You

I have the same thoughts as most here. It may not manage to be Ridley's new masterpriece, but it does the job of wowing the audience with its so so beautiful production (the fact that it didn't have an overbown budget is indeed amazing). From the opening sequence, to the planet landscapes and lush ship interiors, every bit of the film was visually amazing. As a horror film, it wasn't THAT effective.
The surgery part was well-done while the scenes with Engineer and alien creatures didn't bring anything new to the table and even looked goofy at certain points.
Every non-horror aspect of it was fantastic though. Had it been an full-blown sci-fi adventure, I think it would have been that film that we were all waiting for. Fassbender and Rapace stood out in their roles, but Theron and the rest were good as well. All in all, it's not one of the absolute best sci-fi films ever made, but its sequel has the potential of being one.

A- (8.5/10)

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:11 am

God Theron, worst Escape pod ever! She is a great character

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:13 am
College Boy Z

Well I loved it. It's not a good "horror" film, but that's just more false advertisement than anything, I feel. But it is a visually stunning science fiction film that makes some awesomely-geeky connections to one of my favorite films, with some great performances and an intriguing plot. And yeah, it doesn't answer a whole lot, but I'm with The Dark Shape in that I'm okay with that.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:25 am
The Lubitsch Touch

No it was fucking terrible. Just sad and frustrating and stupid

Last edited by Johnny Dollar on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:10 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Also gotta love the George Lucasing at the end there. Wouldn't it be great to explain how the alien was born and how the planet came to look like that and why the ship isNO WHO GIVES A SHIT

If there is a dumber screenwriter in Hollywood than Damon Lindelof, I mercifully have not seen his or her work

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:12 am

Johnny Dollar wrote:
Also gotta love the George Lucasing at the end there. Wouldn't it be great to explain how the alien was born and how the planet came to look like that and why the ship isNO WHO GIVES A SHIT

If there is a dumber screenwriter in Hollywood than Damon Lindelof, I mercifully have not seen his or her work

Well it states its on an entirely different planet right from the beginning

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:18 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Different planet? I don't follow you

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next