Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Jaws 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 36 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 9 ]
C 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 48

Jaws 
College Boy Z

Post Jaws
Jaws

Quote:
Jaws is a 1975 American horror/thriller film directed by Steven Spielberg and based on Peter Benchley's novel of the same name. The police chief of Amity Island, a fictional summer resort town, tries to protect beachgoers from a giant man-eating great white shark by closing the beach, only to be overruled by the town council, which wants the beach to remain open to draw a profit from tourists during the summer season. After several attacks, the police chief enlists the help of a marine biologist and a professional shark hunter. Roy Scheider stars as police chief Martin Brody, Richard Dreyfuss as oceanographer Matt Hooper, Robert Shaw as shark hunter Quint, Murray Hamilton as the Mayor of Amity Island, and Lorraine Gary as Brody's wife, Ellen.

Jaws is regarded as a watershed film in motion picture history, the father of the summer blockbuster film and one of the first "high concept" films. Because of the film's success in advance screenings, studio executives decided to distribute it in a much wider release than ever before. The Omen followed suit in the summer of 1976 and then Star Wars one year later in 1977, cementing the notion for movie studios to distribute their big-release action and adventure pictures (commonly referred to as tentpole pictures) during the summer.

Widely regarded as one of the greatest films of all time, Jaws appeared at number 48 on American Film Institute's 100 Years... 100 Movies, a list of the greatest American films of all time, dropping down to number 56 on the 10 Year Anniversary list. It ranked second on a similar list for thrillers, 100 Years... 100 Thrills and was number one on Bravo's list of The 100 Scariest Movie Moments. The film was followed by three sequels, none with the participation of Spielberg or Benchley.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:25 pm
Award Winning Bastard

This is one of my top 10 favorites of all time! I can quote dialogue from this movie as easy as I breath. Tremendous film!

A+

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:34 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
rustiphica

Only worthy film out of the jaws series. A+

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:37 pm
Extraordinary

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

This movie is PERFECT and one of the most defining movies in Cinema.. Everything else that comes out today involving 50 foot snakes or 30 foot crocodiles mauling people is a direct tribute, a copy if you will of JAWS.. You can't beat the line: "I think your gonna need a bigger boat" was fantastic and very true.. Spielberg can lay claim to ruining everyone's summer vacation with this movie that still has an affect today.. =D>

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:11 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

It's still the scariest movie I've ever seen. Who still doesn't get just a little bit of panic when you're in the ocean and can't see anything? My grade: A.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Even though the film is PG, I still get scared shitless by it today. I do not normally get scared by films like Halloween, or The Exorcist (Even though I still enjoy them), but Jaws is really the only film that I get scared by. And then there is the haunting theme by John Williams as if the film isn't creepy enough already. Fantastic film. A+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
And as it beat Star Wars, by 2 years, the first great summer blockbuster - always wondered if this had any effect on Lucas and Star Wars.

And the whole boat trip was fantasic because of

Roy Scheider .... Police Chief Martin Brody
Robert Shaw .... Quint
Richard Dreyfuss .... Matt Hooper

Especially Quint

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:05 pm
Draughty

Scary as hell for a kid, I should know, I was ready to leave at the opening credits. A-, with the minus being for it being a bad influence on other movies, it helped lead to a lot of lesser schlock films including all its sequels.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:25 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Scary as hell for a kid, I should know, I was ready to leave at the opening credits. A-, with the minus being for it being a bad influence on other movies, it helped lead to a lot of lesser schlock films including all its sequels.

C'mon, you can't count such an impact as a minus! :razz:

Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

The best film ever made. I can quote this film like I can tie my shoes. Me and Mav actually had a contest once to see who knew the most about Jaws...we tied after about three months.....

This is the epitome of greatness.

A+

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Immensly enjoyable. The original Summer Blockbuster.

A+

Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

i just dont see the Horror in this movie, but its great!

A

Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:41 am
Mod Team Leader

Wed May 04, 2005 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Bump, because I just watched it last night.

Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:52 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

A very impressive landmark film. The score is haunting, the cinematography superb and Spielberg's direction is tp-notch. The movie was a very well-deserved Best Picture nominee. Well-written, with good acting and great characters I really cannot find any flaws in this one.

Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Top notch in every single way.

I've only given an A+ to about 15-20 movies. Spielberg has like four or five of them, amazing.

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:15 pm
Extraordinary

A+

I've only given an A+ to about 15-20 movies. Spielberg has like four or five of them, amazing.

Okay, I'll bite -- which 4-5 of your lifetime 15-20 best films were directed by Spielberg?

1. Jaws
(5.)

{Note: The maximum Spielberg content ratio on Libs' Life List is 33.3% (i.e.: 5 out of 15)...}

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:46 am
Sbil

Libs wrote:
A+

Okay, I'll bite -- which 4-5 of your lifetime 15-20 best films were directed by Spielberg?

1. Jaws
(5.)

{Note: The maximum Spielberg content ratio on Libs' Life List is 33.3% (i.e.: 5 out of 15)...}

Jaws, Schindler's List, ET, Saving Private Ryan.

The Color Purple and Raiders of the Lost Ark are close.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:19 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Come on, who gave this an F, this is a masterpiece of filmmaking. One of the most chilling films that scared the crap out of me. I still have to look around when I swim on the beach.

I guess we'll see a remake soon though, its the only horror films from the 70s yet. :roll: That will be a sad day.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:25 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Come on, who gave this an F, this is a masterpiece of filmmaking. One of the most chilling films that scared the crap out of me. I still have to look around when I swim on the beach.

I guess we'll see a remake soon though, its the only horror films from the 70s yet. :roll: That will be a sad day.

We won't get a remake but were getting "MEG" from New Line Cinema supposedly in 2007 and Produced by Nick Nunziata from CHUD.. MEG involves a 70 foot Prehistoric Great White known as Megolodon thought to be extinct but discovered in the Mariana Trench.. There are 4 Novels from this title..

Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

that sounds like a sci fi channel original movie. Honestly, who wouldnt notice a 70 ft shark. Sound a lot like Moby Dick meets jaws meets worst movie ever, I think your getting my consensus on that one.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 am
Commander and Chef

that sounds like a sci fi channel original movie. Honestly, who wouldnt notice a 70 ft shark. Sound a lot like Moby Dick meets jaws meets worst movie ever, I think your getting my consensus on that one.

mariana trench is at the bottom of the ocean. few have ever been down there. no one would notice it.

having said that though, i hope the story does biology justice. at that depth, the possibility of eyes n all evolving are next to non existant.

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next