Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Surviving Christmas 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Surviving Christmas 
College Boy Z

Post Surviving Christmas
Surviving Christmas

Quote:
Surviving Christmas is a 2004 comedy film, directed by Mike Mitchell and starring Ben Affleck. Despite being a Christmas movie, DreamWorks SKG released the movie towards the end of October. This was due to it being advanced from December 2003 to avoid clashing with Affleck's other film, Paycheck. The movie had negative reviews and was a box office failure. It was released on DVD on December 21, 2004, just two months after it had its theatrical release.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:47 am
College Boy Z

Pretty funny comedy. It actually is the perfect Christmas movie, if only it was released... during Christmas. Still, funny but not hilarious. Ben Affleck was pretty funny, as was Gandalfini. An enjoyable Christmas comedy for the whole family.

My Grade- B-

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:32 pm
New Server, Same X

The film is good, but there is a lot of awkwardness, that the writers play on throughout the movie, incest being one of them (it's not directly applicable, as this isn't his family, but it is played on several times throughout the movie). Affleck and Gandolfini are GREAT, O'Hara is good (but I've seen better performances from her), and Applegate is surprisingly good, too. I do wish that they wouldn't have had Applegate change character, and become attracted to Affleck. This is pretty much one long sitcom, but it still works well. See it, if you don't care about it being awkward or unoriginal. I still got a few good laughs. Not hearty laughs, but enough to keep a smile on my face for the majority of the time.

Grade: B

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:04 pm
Extraordinary

Surviving Christmas: New Holiday Classic!

This movie has been criminally under-rated by reviewers!
(It is currently rated 7% at RottenTomatoes.com...)

However, I am here to tell you today that it is not only an excellent black comedy (almost up to the incredibly high standard set by last year's Bad Santa) - but it is also a true straight "Xmas movie", so touching it almost makes me believe in the spirit of Christmas again! The comedic acting was solid with the expected greatness from Catherine O'Hara and Christina Applegate (though she had a pretty straight role (again!)). Even James Gandolfini exhibited a solid dry sense of comic timing. And as for Ben Affleck, this surely has to be one of the roles that best fits his fake acting skills schtick - he was perfect as the lead.

Now, as to why they released it in the middle of October, who knows? Maybe they figure Christmas with the Kranks will tank, and they can re-release this one when audiences are finally ready for a quality Xmas movie. My suggestion is that if you enjoyed a movie like Bad Santa - then don't be put off by the professional critics and go see it for yourself. It is a sweet and hilarious Christmas present that will be treasured as the classic it is, for countless Xmas seasons to come.

7 out of 5.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:26 am
Mod Team Leader

This film needs to be given a chance. It is very very funny and Afleck and company are very charming in the film.

8.5/10

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:06 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Its allright, its not anywhere near the great comedies of Chrimtmas Vacation, Scrooged, A christmas story. Some of it has funny moments, most of them from Gandolfini and O'hara and Applegate, but Affleck was still on his whole Gigli spinfire, and I just didnt like him in the role.

B-

Nothing classic, but its a nice watch if noone ever saw it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

Good christmas comedy, just an enjoyable fun flick. I thought I was going to be the only one defending it in here. :)

Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:14 pm
Extraordinary

It only made $11,198,345 on it's initial release -- those who saw it in it's initial theatrical release are a rare and lucky few...

Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:19 pm
You must have big rats

Surprisingly good comments for this supposedly disliked film.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

...bump... for a holiday movie recommendation...

Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:23 am
On autopilot for the summer

Well I wouldnt call it very disliked, it was Ben right after Gigli so a lot of people shitted on him here. Its better than dreck like Deck the Halls, but its very forgettable, the 2nd time watching this its pretty boring. But if you've never seen it and its the holidays, give it a try, then let it drift away into your subconscious.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:30 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

It only made $11,198,345 on it's initial release -- those who saw it in it's initial theatrical release are a rare and lucky few...

I saw it theatrically :)

Anyways, I love this movie and think it's criminally underrated. It's really funny and charming. Definitely recommended.

8/10 (B+)

Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:22 pm
Profile YIM
New Server, Same X

It's a pretty decent movie, and luckily I watch anything on Christmas, so it'll probably get a third viewing this year.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:31 pm
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Post Re: Surviving Christmas
This movie goes to show that Ben Affleck is hiliarious. It is because of this movie that I call all old people "Dooda." If this movie came out in 2002, it would have been considered a decent movie, it would have made around the same as Paycheck.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]