Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Albert Nobbs 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Albert Nobbs 
---------

Post Albert Nobbs
Albert Nobbs

Quote:
Albert Nobbs is a drama film starring Glenn Close and directed by Rodrigo GarcĂ­a. The screenplay is based on a short story by Irish novelist George Moore.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:34 pm
---------

Post Re: Albert Nobbs
It's a very solid film that Glenn Close absolutely rules as the reclusive, simple Albert Nobbs. It keeps itself interesting through out its run, but it's more of a small dramedy that is fairly forgettable. Brendan Gleason sums up the movie perfectly with his last line.

Definitely deserves any make-up props it's getting - Glenn Close has the physical presence to pass as a man, but has a believable amount of feminine features to make a small boy stare perplexed. Then, also after 30 years of being a man, Albert can no longer even look like a woman he truly is.

B+

Spoiler: show
Quite the depressing ending - Albert Nobbs scrimps and saves his/her whole life, only to be killed by pursuing what he/she saw that someone else did to make themselves happy. And then Albert's entire "fortune" is used to just paint the walls a different color.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:44 pm
Pure Phase

It is nice, though, much of Albert's money will go to Hubert, a friend and a person who will use it to help Helen.

I found Albert's death incredibly sad because it is so meaningless. A person who has lived his/her entire life in the corner trying to blend in with the wallpaper dies in more or less the same way. No real lesson in it. No cosmic importance. No major sacrifice. Just a quiet death out of sight and out of mind. Very Eleanor Rigby.

My review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=611

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:49 pm
---------

David wrote:
It is nice, though, much of Albert's money will go to Hubert, a friend and a person who will use it to help Helen.

I found Albert's death incredibly sad because it is so meaningless. A person who has lived his/her entire life in the corner trying to blend in with the wallpaper dies in more or less the same way. No real lesson in it. No cosmic importance. No major sacrifice. Just a quiet death out of sight and out of mind. Very Eleanor Rigby.

My review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=611

True, but still sad as Hubert technically caused Albert Nobbs' tragic end by merely appearing at the hotel and shaking up his world.

I did like how almost every character in the movie, like Nobbs, hides some secret from each other.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:53 pm
Wallflower

A decent film elevated by terrific performances by Glenn Close and Janet McTeer, both incredibly deserving of their Oscar nominations.

Really sad story.

B-

Last edited by Magic Mike on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:22 am
The Dark Knight

This was as horrible as it was hilarious.

That ending.

*thunk

:funny:

Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:55 pm
Extraordinary

ALBERT NOBBS

I saw this on Netflix yesterday. They are really bringing in some nice stuff lately. Anyway, I enjoyed this film and it's a bit tragic. You really feel sorry for poor Nobbs for having to live that type of life. Living in fear everyday and especially towards the end with his wild fantasy life he was imaging with that girl. As if she would just be content with living with him in that sham marriage. I thought Close and Mcteer (I think that's her name) were great in the film. When I first saw the trailer to this way back I was like ugh but ended up enjoying this one.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:31 am
You must have big rats

Strange little film and kinda depressing to. Close is terrific. It's funny, when she first appeared I couldn't get into thiking that others see her as a man. But then, when she actially wears a dress, it also felt so weird...I guess mission accomplished.

It kinda played like a depressing version of Downton Abbey..

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I enjoy this movie a lot and own it on Blu-ray. The Oscar fags and wenches came down incredibly hard on it because of their perception of it as only a desperate Oscar grab on Glenn Close's part, but it is in fact an interesting, observant drama shot through with Irish melancholy. Janet McTeer is terrific and deserved her nomination.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 pm
You must have big rats

Did you watch the extras on it, David? In an interview there, Glenn Close states that she has first played Albert Nobbs in 1982 and the character just stuck with her.

The film is not without flaws (by far) and the role might be Oscar bait, but I definitely don't see it as attempted Oscar grab on Close's side, but more of a personal little thing she wanted to do. This was probably one of the least commercial movies that have been up for major Oscars in recent years.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I haven't watched the special features, but I remember hearing in interviews she played the character on stage decades ago and tried for many years to bring it to the screen. Of course, this was instantly dismissed by the aforementioned fags and wenches as her saying, "Award me because of my dedication and patience!" ;)

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]