Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Margin Call 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Margin Call 
loyalfromlondon

Post Margin Call
Margin Call

Quote:
Margin Call is a 2011 American independent drama film, written and directed by J.C. Chandor. The film has an ensemble cast that includes Kevin Spacey, Demi Moore, Paul Bettany, Jeremy Irons, Zachary Quinto, Stanley Tucci, Simon Baker, and Penn Badgley. The film takes place over a 36-hour period at a large investment bank (loosely modeled on Lehman Brothers) and focuses on the financial crisis of 2007–2008. The film follows the actions taken by a group of employees during the financial collapse.

The film was first shown at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2011 and opened on October 21, 2011 in the United States.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:00 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Post Re: Margin Call
I like it a lot.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Disappointing movie. Script was lacking and it made for a boring movie save for the cast who tried their damnedest to make the movie palatable.

5/10 (C-)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:56 pm
Z

How was it lacking?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I thought the scope was too limited. The focus shouldn't have been entirely on the company. Instead, they could have inserted a small amount of time dedicated to enlightening us as to how much people would be affected by this crisis. Instead, they just place 2 sacrificial lambs in a room and they cut to another scene.

Also, while Sam tried to play up the emotional side of things, they sure treated their clients like dirt when they conned them into buying useless stock. I didn't feel any sympathy for the characters. Instead, I felt that they were greedy sons of bitches. It made the movie one dimensional and made the characters seem one note. It turned an interesting premise to a flat one.

The ending was a mess. They did a poor job of conveying their message. I still don't know what they want the viewer to get out of that ending with the dog burial. Unless if there was no message and they are just explaining how one company started the economic crisis of 2008, which would make the movie a colossal waste of time.

While those comments may seem harsh, I was somewhat entertained but those scenes left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:32 am
Z

The film is a parable: the company represents, pars pro toto, all such companies; and the dog, most obviously, is a metaphor for the entire economy. The things you criticize all result from deliberate choices designed to make a point. Some, like the dog (who has two functions), are more obvious; others are a little more subtle.

To show the outside consequences of the decisions made by the management, however, would simply be redundant: you see them on television every day.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Z

Magnus is stupid and horribly acted.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Well its a solid film, however just because it has relevant subject matter to todays problems does not automatically make it a great film.

I like the film and this and Inside job should be req viewing for Finance students imo...

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Solid movie. It's not the most cinematic experience ever--it's very hard to present this material in a cinematic way short of turning it into a stylish macho fantasy the way Oliver Stone did with Wall Street--but the dialogue is intelligent and involving, and there are a couple terrific performances. Jeremy Irons is best in show; ruthless, magisterial, and compelling. Kevin Spacey also shines, as the movie's anxious conscience, and it's a treat to see Paul Bettany in a movie where he isn't donning leftover-from-The-Matrix leather and fighting angels or vampires. He gives a very entertaining performance as a mid-level trader, all tics and hungry ambition and wit. A few other members of the ensemble are less impressive, though. Demi Moore's performance is completely vacant; she's clearly just reading the lines, not breathing anything--ache, anger, pleasure--into them. And Zachary Quinto is a bit too reserved as the film's "protagonist," i.e. the audience surrogate. He's dull and can't hold the screen against Irons, Spacey, and Bettany.

A satisfying, small picture. And certainly very timely. If it enters the Oscar equation at all, I feel it should be for Irons in Best Supporting Actor and maybe Best Original Screenplay.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:46 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Margin Call has a very good script behind it that leads us through a quick, yet noticeable downfall of a company within a mere 24 hours. It keeps you going the entire way through but maybe an extra twist, something else missed in the equation, could have given it a little extra oomph. **1/2

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Liked it quite a bit.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:59 pm
You must have big rats

A-

Great, overlooked film that, I am sure, will grow in appreciation a lot over the years. It is timely, precise to the point, with a razor-sharp screenplay and a cast that mostly kills it. It seems to oversimplify things from time to time, in order for the viewers to follow it more easily, but I can live with that. The final scene with Spacey and the dog wasn't necessary either, but aside from that, it really hits all the right beats. Margin Call makes for a TERRIFIC double feature with the Oscar-winning documentary Inside Job (in fact, the first time I saw Inside Job, I watched it back-to-back with Margin Call).

Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]