Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 The Descendants 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

The Descendants 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Descendants
The Descendants

Quote:
The Descendants is a 2011 American comedy-drama film directed by Alexander Payne. The screenplay by Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash is based on the novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings. The film stars George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Judy Greer, Matthew Lillard and Beau Bridges, and was released by Fox Searchlight Pictures in the United States on November 18, 2011 after being screened at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival.

In January 2012, The Descendants won two Golden Globe Awards and earned five nominations at the 84th Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor for Clooney.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:40 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Descendants
I thought this was Alexander Payne's best since Election. Just an excellent movie on every level. The performances are across-the-board fantastic. A

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:42 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

I dug the Sid character in general, but the bit where he laughs at the grandma's Alzheimer's seemed so out of place. He's a big dumb stoner, cool, fine, I can buy it. But I don't buy he's so out of touch he would be around this family he knows is in crisis and straight up laugh at a frail old woman.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:51 pm
Pure Phase

Review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=517

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:03 am
Pure Phase

This is going to lose Best Picture, though. Those Up in the Air comparisons made by Magnus were, alas, spot-on. It'll do well at the box office, win over the upscale adult crowd, etc. But it'll be a tad too intimate, too melancholy, too small in scope to survive the fierce awards season. People will start being all, "I don't know...it's nice and all, Clooney is great, but is it BEST PICTURE worthy?" Then a more dramatic cinematic experience type deal, such as The Artist or War Horse, will sweep in and dethrone it.

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:04 am
Forum General

I can't wait until this opens here Friday! I think I'm probably going to see it Saturday.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

The Descendants is good, but I agree with some of the general consensus right now that it shouldn't be the frontrunner for Best Picture. George Clooney is good as always and Shailene Woodley along with Judy Greer both give worthy supporting roles. The writing is good as well. It just didn't give me the wow factor I expected and like others have said to, films like Up in the Air felt like they had more of a chance to win. Still, it is a very strong story and acting and it should still be seen. ***1/2

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

My favorite movie of the year. A sublime, totally authentic movie that never once veers into melodrama or sitcom. Alexander Payne has always been one of my favorite filmmakers, and The Descendants is just as good as his last three superb films (Sideways, About Schmidt, Election). The way Payne paces the film is just about perfect; despite the heavy subject matter, the film has an oddly calming, ethereal effect to it (probably something to do with the beautiful Hawaiian scenery). In my humble opinion, this is George Clooney's finest performance to date. It's a beautifully rich and nuanced role, and Clooney delivers in spades while also shedding the charismatic persona he has played in other roles before. He is complimented by a superb supporting cast, particularly Shailene Woodley and Amara Miller as the daughters. Although Woodley is best known for a certain ABC Family show of questionable quality, she instantly cements herself as an actress to watch here with her forceful performance. The rest of the cast is strong too, although I was particularly taken with Judy Greer, who does a fabulous job in a fairly small role. The Descendants is simply a wonderful film about family, and one that takes the oft-popular "dying family member" storyline and spins it into an entirely different take on the matter. A

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

Definitely a top 5 movie for me so far this year and my 2nd favorite Payne film behind Election. Starts out a bit talky but really hits hard the rest of the way

The scenes with Elizabeth's body as the centerpiece are haunting aesthetically

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:35 pm
Extraordinary

A great movie and definitely me favorite performance by Clooney. The scenery in the movie was amazing as well. I still like Election more, but a great movie overall.

I don't think it can take best picture though.

A-

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:01 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Like the flowers strewn through the credits, The Descendants is lovely but frail. It's easy enough to watch and listen to, but once it's over there are more than a few flaws. For instance, the the narration is well-written enough to sound great, but structurally it's very lazy exposition that disappears entirely once we've been properly introduced to Clooney's character. As has been noted, some of the lines really don't ring true - no doctor would ever say "we need to start thinking about the organ transplants" while informing someone their partner is dying.

Yet despite these uneven moments at acidity, the film feels curiously toothless at points. I think that the infidelity aspect of the story is extremely well-handled, but the family material less so. The resolution in particular is both toothless and undeserved. I can see why one could feel like Clooney announcing his decision about the land to his family would be superfluous, but it's also a missed opportunity. Likewise, was having the youngest daughter being told about her mother's death, when everyone else has been told already, and by a fucking consultant no less, really the best resolution they could give her?

For the record, Clooney is excellent as ever, a real movie star. Whether expressing anger, sadness, sentimentality, or resentment, he's perfect. It's just a shame the rest of the movie is so uneven.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:58 pm
Forum General

I almost loved this, almost. So close. I left a little disappointed considering all the buzz around it. George Clooney was great and he does deserve the Oscar for his performance. Shailene Woodley and Judy Greer are both very good, neither nod worthy, IMO. I agree the more you think about it, the more flawed you find the movie is. Still, it was very entertaining and it was a nice movie to watch with your family around the holidays (well, the family members old enough, anyway). Also, I saw this with my best friend, her two parents and her 14 sister. Her 14 year old sister LOVED it, she liked it, one parent said it was ok but slow and the other hated it. I'm surprised it's getting such great WOM, honestly. Still though, it is very good and like I said, I almost loved it. I tried to. I wanted to so hard, but it just missed the mark.

8/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

You know, this was a very nice movie. Really enjoyed it. But didn't find it to be anything special. Clooney is really good, though he could play this role in his sleep. It doesn't really stand out from the performances he's already given. Shailene Woodley was great. And I loved Judy Greer. Wish she had been in at least one more scene. She was just too good.

I don't have much to say about it. It's a funny, enjoyable movie. Not one of my favorites of the year though.

B+

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:59 am
Devil's Advocate

I kind of feel like About Schmidt is brutally hard hitting but almost too much to be enjoyable to watch, and the Descendants is enjoyable to watch but doesn't have enough layers. A little of About Schmidt in the Descendants and a little of The Descendants in About Schmdit could've made both perfect. About Schmidt is definitely better overall though

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:08 pm
Pure Phase

The cushy Hawaiian milieu the Clooney character and his family call home (despite the "fuck paradise" narration) acts as a slight barrier, I feel, whereas About Schmidt was set in perfectly drab suburban Nebraska. A world of posh bungalows and exclusive beaches vs. one of anonymous offices and flat roads and split-level homes and Applebee's. Because of this, just on a very basic level, About Schmidt feels heavier, more poignant.

And I feel Warren Schmidt is just a slightly better written, more nuanced character than Matt King.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:12 am
now we know

The Descendants
Awesome movie. Loved every minute of it.
A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

1. Sideways A
2. About Schmidt A
3. The Descendants A-
4. Election B

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:44 pm
Wallflower

This is the second best Payne film, IMO. Election is an A/A+, this is a B+, Sideways was a B-, and About Schmidt was in the C range.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:30 am
loyalfromlondon

I fucking hated the voiceover. What a supremely lazy way to get across a character's emotions and state-of-mind without having to do any work.

I feel much the same way about the rest of the film as I do about most of the BP nominees: utter apathy. At least Shailene Woodley is cute.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:53 am
Forum General

Its a decent family drama/comedy.

Nothing Oscar worthy but solid film.

B+

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:35 am
Profile WWW

The best movie I've seen this year, Woodley is to die for.
I agree the exposition is weak and lazy, and after 10 minutes in I was fuming because the voice-over had disappeared and I HATE it when movies do that. The rest of the film's so damn amazing I just don't care at all.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]