Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 J. Edgar 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

J. Edgar 
loyalfromlondon

Post J. Edgar
J. Edgar

Quote:
J. Edgar is a 2011 biographical drama film directed by Clint Eastwood, from a script by Dustin Lance Black. The film focuses on the career of FBI director J. Edgar Hoover from the Palmer Raids onwards, including an examination of his private life as an alleged closeted (and chaste) homosexual.

It stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, Damon Herriman, Ed Westwick and Jeffrey Donovan. J. Edgar opened the AFI Fest 2011 in Los Angeles on November 3, 2011, and had its limited release on November 9, followed by wide release on November 11.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:58 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: J. Edgar
Review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=507

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:22 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Leonardo DiCaprio is fantastic as always, but this film has serious problems in just about every other department. The script isn't very focused and some of the dialogue is just plain bad - and the whole thing is just so dull and lifeless. Not to mention the makeup here is completely ridiculous and often unintentionally hilarious (Armie Hammer is the biggest victim of this aspect of the film). Also, the big reveal at the end essentially makes everything that transpired pretty pointless. A missed opportunity. C

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:57 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

Maybe I won't see this in theaters. ;)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

The big problem with J. Edgar is that, despite its strong acting especially from Leonardo DiCaprio, the pacing and script are so off. The film throws in all these plots and directions, but does not know how to manage them. The film also could of been grittier and more out there, and with Eastwood's past it should have been. A mixed bag in the end. **

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Eastwood needs to start hiring composers. Tired of the plink-plink-plink melancholy piano score.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:07 pm
Superman: The Movie

The makeup on Armie Hammer in the last third is possibly the most embarrassing makeup job I've seen in a film of this standard. After the makeup test, someone either should've fired whoever was responsible; clue Eastwood in on the fact that it looked shitty; or hire a different actor. I was in fucking hysterics when Tolson was shifting his was over to Hoover's corpse, and that's the last reaction I should've been having. It completely ruins the last act.

As for the rest of the film, even though I thought DiCaprio was very good, I couldn't help but feel that Eastwood should've hired more mature actors for this material, at least for the older versions of each character. Again, it's probably the makeup, but I thought DiCaprio wasn't quite convincing, especially in the scenes in which he's older. Then again, I thought the film had pretty much nothing to offer outside of the Lindbergh scenes. J. Edgar is most assured and on focus during the Lindbergh scandal and it's definitely when the film is most interesting. When it tries to shoehorn in scenes like when Edgar is trying on his mother's outfit, it's anything but assured and focused. It's more like the film is going through a checklist of the highlights of the famous rumors about Edgar. The film relies a little too heavily on the audience's knowledge of J. Edgar coming in, instead of trying to give us any decent explanation as to why he was the way he might have been.

There's a good movie in there somewhere, but the final result is mediocre at best.

** (C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:08 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Definitely one of the very worst of 2011 but worth a hearty chuckle or two, unintended as they were.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:34 am
You must have big rats

Hammer's make up made him look like Frankenstein's monster. What were they thinking? Especially if you compare it to the old-person makeup on The Iron Lady...

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Hammer's make up made him look like Frankenstein's monster. What were they thinking? Especially if you compare it to the old-person makeup on The Iron Lady...

His mouth looked a burn victim's butthole.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]