Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Adventures of Tintin 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
C 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
D 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

The Adventures of Tintin 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Adventures of Tintin
The Adventures of Tintin

Quote:
The Adventures of Tintin (also known as The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn) is a 2011 American performance capture 3D film based on The Adventures of Tintin, a series of comic books created by Belgian artist Hergé (Georges Remi). Directed by Steven Spielberg, produced by Peter Jackson, and written by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish, the film is based on three of the original comic books: The Crab with the Golden Claws (1941), The Secret of the Unicorn (1943), and Red Rackham's Treasure (1944). It is also the first animated film Spielberg has directed.

Spielberg first acquired rights to produce a film based upon the Adventures of Tintin series following Hergé's death in 1983, and re-optioned them in 2002. Filming was due to begin in October 2008 for a 2010 release, but release was delayed to 2011 after Universal opted out of producing the film with Paramount, who provided $30 million on pre-production. Sony chose to co-produce the films. The delay resulted in Thomas Sangster, who had been cast as Tintin, departing from the project. Producer Peter Jackson, whose company Weta Digital is providing the computer animation, intends to direct a sequel. Spielberg and Jackson also hope to co-direct a third film.

The first press-screening was held on October 10, 2011 and the world première took place on October 22, 2011 in Brussels. The film was released in North American theaters on December 21, 2011 in Digital 3D and IMAX. It was released in Australia on 26 December, 2011.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:12 am
We had our time together

Post Re: The Adventures of Tintin
This ist pretty much an animated Indiana Jones movie with a much weaker hero and a less interesting story. The animation is beautiful and spectacular and despite having non stop action and adventure I was bored at times. Probably because I didn't cared for any of the characters. The action was fun and spectacular at times, especially a chase near the end wich is just breathtaking. Overall it was fun but could have benefited a lot from a better title character. B-

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Some actual dramatic stakes would have been nice, but it's shiny, has good set pieces, and gets the tone of the books right. It's fun.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:42 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Also, if you see this in 3D, you hate movies as well as yourself. I let Scorsese's crafty use of the medium trick me into thinking maybe 3D wasn't completely useless, so I gave Spielberg a shot, but I'm over it. I kept taking the glasses off, it looked better. Pathetic. If any of these images were even in 3D, you could never tell to look at it. Never again.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:47 am
Pure Phase

Thanks for the heads up. I was torn between seeing it in 2-D and 3-D.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:03 pm
Extraordinary

I saw it in 3D and it didn't bother me.

Mostly I was bothered by how boring and one dimensional the Tintin character was, but the adventure continued on and kept me distracted. Good Spielberg stuff in the Indiana Jones tradition. I'll bet it would have done better as a live action movie, though, although you'd miss some of those great effects (There's this one chase scene that goes on for ten minutes or so in one long scene with no cuts that would be really next-to-impossible in live action).

A solid B.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=562

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:19 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Johnny Dollar wrote:
Also, if you see this in 3D, you hate movies as well as yourself. I let Scorsese's crafty use of the medium trick me into thinking maybe 3D wasn't completely useless, so I gave Spielberg a shot, but I'm over it. I kept taking the glasses off, it looked better. Pathetic. If any of these images were even in 3D, you could never tell to look at it. Never again.

David wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I was torn between seeing it in 2-D and 3-D.

So you saw it in 3D anyway?! That was stupid. You got what you deserved.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:56 pm
Pure Phase

It was a problem with the times. I ended up having to see it in 3-D. It was out of my hands. :P

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:03 pm
Where will you be?

I didn't mind the 3D, but even on the nicest screen in Portland it didn't add much. Motion capture is the star as much as anything, as the digital fluidity allows for the camera to swoop through action scenes in a way that's really never been done before. The six-minute long single take chase scene and the pirate ship battle are absolutely incredible set pieces, but the whole film is filled with trippy transitions and visual gags. Not all these jokes work, but the film is so persistently charming that by the end you'll either be won over, or exhausted.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:33 pm
Extraordinary

The more I think about it, the thing that really bothers me is the combination of realism with those ridiculous comic big noses. Either it should have tried to be completely realistic or much more comic.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

It's light as a feather but loads of fun, and truly captures the feeling of the books/cartoons - including the fact that Tintin is actually quite a terrible detective, and Snowy really does most of the work. Regardless, it looks great, with some terrific action sequences and clever, if somewhat gimmicky, direction; Serkis is also fantastic, as usual. It's clearly designed for kids, and as the first part in a series, but for what it is, it works.

Oh, and I had to drive 20 minutes out of the city just to find a theatre that was playing this in 2D. What a gyp.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:28 pm
loyalfromlondon

Groucho wrote:
The more I think about it, the thing that really bothers me is the combination of realism with those ridiculous comic big noses. Either it should have tried to be completely realistic or much more comic.

I don't think it attempts to be realistic at all. The mo-cap animation really isn't that lifelike.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:29 pm
You must have big rats

trixster wrote:
Groucho wrote:

I don't think it attempts to be realistic at all. The mo-cap animation really isn't that lifelike.

I kinda side with Mike V. here. In some scenes it really does seem like they are going for realism and all (blood from gunshot wounds), in others in still has a silly comic book feel. It's very uneven in that regard. And damn, Tintin is such a bland BLAND character.

It IS a whole lot of fun, though. Good score too.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Tintin is bland in the books as well.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:12 pm
You must have big rats

trixster wrote:
Tintin is bland in the books as well.

So I've been told. Still it doesn't help the enjoyment (I assume I'd criticize the same aspect with the books).

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:26 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

The characters, yes, look kinda cartoony (which is smart, because nobody believes Mo-Cap), but everything else looks very real. It's a effective combination.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:58 pm
Pure Phase

The characters have a total Star Wars dynamic. Tintin is Luke, the bland hero on which you can project yourself. And Captain Haddock is the charismatic, flawed, colorful, roguish side-hero, Han Solo style.

Plays just fine, IMO.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:25 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I want my sequel. I hope they don't let North America scare them off. Not a blockbuster but it's actually doing better than I thought it would over here.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:54 pm
Pure Phase

It'd be an interesting situation: an American-financed big-budget franchise primarily made for overseas audiences.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:55 pm
Veteran

Money is money. If they're making a decent return on the first one, why wouldn't they make a sequel?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:18 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Spielberg and Jackson are made of money. There'll be a sequel.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:28 am
loyalfromlondon

It better have more Thompson & Thomson though!

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:30 am
Pure Phase

Plus Tintin 2 gives Jackson the chance to stay in nerd-friendly franchise-land and not venture into scary Lovely Bones territory again. :P I honestly do get the feeling he's become one with sweeping cinematography and thousands of effects shots. Partly as a crutch, partly because the sheer enormity of The Lord of the Rings simply changed him. The director of Heavenly Creatures isn't quite there anymore.

The Lovely Bones is underrated, but it did have a bit of a weird vibe where Jackson read "human story of grief with flashes of fantasy" and interpreted it as "AWESOME EFFECTS with a human drama and grief."

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:59 am

I didn't fancy this. Mocap, done with the slick expensive efforts here, is all well and good but the film was really blah to me. I understand it's based on a comic book, but the hyper-preposterous, overtly childish tone and plot and actions were much less than I expected from Spielberg. It's kind of cute for a bit, but every plot point is painfully simplistic and predictable and even conventional. A movie of this prestige should have more going on than this does. The Thompson & Thompson homage role was neat too and I could have used more of them, but I thought they were too stupid, just a tad.
This simply had little fresh or inventive to offer, even the visuals which were charming and pretty but still drew a foggy line between animation and reality, as did the rest of the film, that occasionally reminded me of Veggie tales to be honest. The pirate scene just did not work at all for me. But other parts were admittedly beautiful if ultimately unremarkable.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next