Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Company of Wolves 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Company of Wolves 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Company of Wolves
The Company of Wolves

Quote:
The Company of Wolves is a 1984 gothic fantasy-horror film directed by Neil Jordan, and starring Sarah Patterson and Angela Lansbury.

The film is based on the werewolf story of the same name in Angela Carter's short story collection The Bloody Chamber. Carter herself co-wrote the screenplay with director Neil Jordan, based on her own short story and her earlier adaptation of "The Company of Wolves" for radio.

Carter's first draft of the screenplay, which contains some differences from the finished film, has been published in her anthology The Curious Room (1996).

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:50 am
Wallflower

Post Re: The Company of Wolves
It has been so long since I've seen this. I believe I gave it a B.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:46 pm
Pure Phase

LOVE this. So romantic and sinister and beautiful. It needs a Blu-ray.

Neil Jordan is a favorite of mine.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:54 pm
The Wall

4/10 -> D

You know that feeling when immediately after watching the movie you're left speechless because you're not absolutely sure what you've just witnessed? The feeling when you can't even remotely explain what, how, where, why...? And then you realize how awesome the movie was and you just have to watch it again. Well, this movie is it. Minus the last part, because I hardly doubt this movie is worth additional viewings as it's barely any good and you will just leave all of the whats, hows, ifs and whys for the poet behind all this.

Compared to this movie, Inception feels even more like a movie for idiots. And while everyone keeps on explaining the logic of the movie over and over again in Inception, you're left alone to figure out what's exactly going on in this one. Because the main story is set in a dream which springs from a loosely set real world, so there's the first story inside the story, and then additional stories just keep on popping in and it seems like they just might not be only stories as something sinister is going on in the main dream and the explanation might be in those stories. And just when you think that everything is set in place (no matter how messy), the movie decides to turn the real world intro a dream (or is it?) too. Which comes as a cherry on top of an already junk story.

Basically it's all metaphor here. Girls beware of men and don't let that pussy of yours go for as long as you live. I don't see how any movie can come close to being this obsessed about woman's innocence and keeping that va-jay-jay locked behind a key. And when you start thinking about who could've come up with this it starts giving you the creeps. And the movie doesn't even try to hide it. Awful. And creepy. Very creepy. At one point I even thought that the blood appears in intervals of 20-something seconds, just like a period. Yikes. Didn't want to check that one out, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. As I said somebody behind this was really obsessed.

But I have to credit where credit's due. Set design and a couple of special effects (turning into a wolf) are great. Unfortunately those highlights cannot make this movie good. If anything they showcase how misdirected this whole thing is.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:56 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

be.redy wrote:
You know that feeling when immediately after watching the movie you're left speechless because you're not absolutely sure what you've just witnessed? The feeling when you can't even remotely explain what, how, where, why...? And then you realize how awesome the movie was and you just have to watch it again.

Neil Jordan achieved this again in his underrated 1999 film In Dreams with Annette Bening and Robert Downey Jr..

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:14 am
The Wall

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
be.redy wrote:
You know that feeling when immediately after watching the movie you're left speechless because you're not absolutely sure what you've just witnessed? The feeling when you can't even remotely explain what, how, where, why...? And then you realize how awesome the movie was and you just have to watch it again.

Neil Jordan achieved this again in his underrated 1999 film In Dreams with Annette Bening and Robert Downey Jr..

When did he achieve it the first time?

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Okay Mr. Stickler, minus that last part.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]