Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Final Destination 5 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
C 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
D 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Final Destination 5 
loyalfromlondon

Post Final Destination 5
Final Destination 5

Quote:
Final Destination 5 is a 2011 3D horror film written by Eric Heisserer and directed by Steven Quale. It is the fifth installment to the Final Destination film franchise and stars Nicholas D'Agosto, Emma Bell, Miles Fisher, Arlen Escarpeta, David Koechner, and Tony Todd. Todd is the only returning cast member of the series.

The world premiere was August 4, 2011 at the Fantasia Festival in Montreal, Canada. It was released in Real D 3D and digital IMAX 3D.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:05 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Final Destination 5
A lot of fun. If you liked FD2 or 3, you'll like this.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:31 am
Sbil

Quite forgettable, but it has the series' typically well-choreographed sequences of DOOOOOOM and actually attempts to add a few new elements to the fray. C+

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:58 am
Forum General

Saw it as a walk-in double feature last night, so not paying made it more enjoyable.

Good Enough and Liked the Past Reminders from the Earlier Movies > The didn't claim this would be the last one, did they?

and interesting how they tied the last shot to a prior movie > does that timeline even make sense?

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:49 am
Extraordinary

They cheated a little bit...

Spoiler: show
The plane takes off immediately after they see Alex and company kicked off, but in FD1 there were a few minutes as the group discussed which teacher would stay on, etc.

...but everything else fit. The cars, the cell phones, the pop culture references, etc.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:10 pm
Forum General

The Dark Shape wrote:
They cheated a little bit...

The plane takes off immediately after they see Alex and company kicked off, but in FD1 there were a few minutes as the group discussed which teacher would stay on, etc.

...but everything else fit. The cars, the cell phones, the pop culture references, etc.

also a question....
why were the vision deaths different than the actual ones > did that happen in past movies....

like I know in the dream the bus rolled forward, but in real life, it rolled backwards...and there was no sailboat in the water below, etc...

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:13 pm
Extraordinary

That happens a lot. It's a goof -- they just want to speed up the disaster. Happens in FD2 and 3 as well; the premonition takes several minutes to unfold, yet once the characters are safe, the disaster happens in a matter of seconds.

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:46 pm
Extraordinary

FD5

I'm one who has enjoyed every film so far. I even enjoyed this but much less so this time around. The death accidents were all pretty nice but the end with one of them trying to kill the other was just too much for me. I didn't like that part of the story at all. Just stick with what works instead of creating this murder for life plot device. As for the final scenes, I thought it was a bit tiresome to blend it with the first movie but I guess it's an okay way to end this film.

Grade - B

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:35 pm
Forum General

Oops thought it was the C&A thread and put a C up there.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:48 am
Profile WWW
problem?

I love FD2 and FD3, and FD1 is really good despite the annoyingness and the fugness of Devon Sawa.

But dis felt moar lyke FD4 then et did FD1 - 3, tbh. Sure et has betta acting and etz an all-around betta movie than FD4, but uum ya. It still felt basic. The entire series is just played out imo, and they really don't know what to do with the death scenes anymore. The first three really did all the cool shyt, and now they're just fighting for scraps imo. I liked the LASIK scene but it was no tanning bed, not even close. And the build up to the fat lesbianish gymnast 's death was nice, but yano ultimately.

If FD6 is made, I think they need to go back to what FD1 and FD2 did. Have all the ppl team up and fight death together. The whole thing of just having the two main bitches go from person to person just to witness their death has really been played out after doing it in all of them since the third one.

and tbh, the ending to dis.

wutshyrname (Molly?) dying on the plane wuz such a fucking plothole. lyke, she didnt die on the bridge. she wuz only on tha plane cuz uf the kyootie reject boyfriend from Heroes' flop 2nd season, so she neva wuda been on dat plane ef he'd died lyke he wuz suppuse ta. I suppose the ending was neat, but that plot-hole as large as the hole that blew up on the side of Flight 180 that bitches got sucked out of made it feel untidy.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:10 am
Extraordinary

Since when do people have to be in a premonition to die? The kid at the end of FD2 shouldn't have died, either -- if Kimberly being resuscitated rewrote the list, then the guy saving him from getting run over wouldn't have created another paradox.

And this is nothing like FD4. Seriously.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:40 am
Wallflower

Certainly better than the previous installment but does not reach the quality of 1-3. Not even close. Found it more entertaining than the last and there were actually a couple moments of suspense this time around. The disaster was better than the fourth's opening disaster. Really liked Nicholas D'Agosto in the lead.

The end twist was interesting. I didn't see it coming but I remember when Emma Bell's character arrives in the beginning I was thinking,
"Weird that she's listening to that Everclear album."

7/10 (B-)

Kind of too bad this couldn't have been the fourth one. It is more deserving of that film's success.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:17 pm
loyalfromlondon

It was fun, and the 3D actually managed to make the scenes of impending death rather tense and exciting. The OTT gore is still hilarious, and the characters are still thin, poorly acted cyphers. I liked the ending, though, even though I noticed the clues and saw it coming.

Definitely better than the fourth one; this should've been The Final Destination, for sure.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:48 am
Sbil

I liked that that one dude who goes nuts and tries to kill people towards the end was apparently directed to look and behave like Tom Cruise in every single possible way.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:55 am
loyalfromlondon

Same.

Algren wrote:

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:05 am
Sbil

That is an uncanny impression. You go, Miles Fisher.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:17 am
Pure Phase

I wanted to be a Scientologist when I was 13/14. I bought Hubbard's A New Slant on Life.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:20 am
College Boy Z

MUCH better than The Final Destination. Loved how the ending tied back to the original. I didn't catch all the pop culture references throughout that might have indicated this, though. The only thing that really caught my attention was the office creeper's cell phone when he got killed at the spa. That's a really old cell phone.

Oh, and the 3D wasn't bad. They used it really well.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:50 am
Superman: The Movie

They really need to stop making these. The only aspect that keeps this from being a complete and utter failure to me is that it ties back to the first. I thought that was kind of clever. Nothing else in the film is though. Maybe the kills needed to be seen in 3D, but I can't help but feel that they've lost all creativity and aren't fun anymore. And this series used to have charasmatic leads. I'm not sure what happened. The two leads have nothing to them, and Miles Fisher, who might have a great Tom Cruise impression, has no idea how to act menacing. That scene in the kitchen is embarrassing.

Yep. It's pretty fucking bad.

* (D)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I'd see another someday but PLEASE, for the love of God, do something different with this series! I know they tried with this one by adding the whole "You can kill someone and take the rest of their life" thing but that really ended up not adding much at all. I enjoyed this movie enough, but I'm bored of the same formula. I'm afraid I'll never have as much fun with this series as I did with the first three.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:36 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

While a little better than The Final Destination, the good nature the series had is gone and this series will eventually ride into the dirt. At least the first half, had some classic FD kills. *1/2

Thu May 24, 2012 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Hmm, I'm not sure why they haven't done a sequel about Tony Todd yet, he is never explained and the most interesting part of the entire series.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 25, 2012 11:56 am
Cream of the Crop

rather lame

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:30 am
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

Thegun wrote:
Hmm, I'm not sure why they haven't done a sequel about Tony Todd yet, he is never explained and the most interesting part of the entire series.

He is the most interesting part because he is never explained.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]