Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Bellflower 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Bellflower 
loyalfromlondon

Post Bellflower
Bellflower

Quote:
Bellflower is a 2011 American film written and directed by Evan Glodell. It was produced on a shoestring budget in Ventura, California and premiered in January 2011 at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival.

The film tells the story of two guys who "build flamethrowers and other weapons in the hope that a global apocalypse will occur and clear the way for their imaginary gang," called Mother Medusa (also the name of their flamethrowing modified car). It turns into a violent, apocalyptic love story.

“ A compelling stew of dark fantasies and youthful gonzo ambition, the hard-to-classify Bellflower will alienate some viewers but presents a bracing vision that is, despite its nihilistic leanings, almost charming. ”
– The Hollywood Reporter, January 21, 2011.

Reviewers have noted the film's distinctive look, attributing it to Joel Hodge's shooting style and the one-of-a-kind camera designed and built by Evan Glodell, who combined vintage camera parts, bellows and Russian lenses, around a Silicon Imaging SI-2K Mini Digital Cinema camera. The camera and recording system is explained in this YouTube video.

On January 27, 2011, just six days after premiere at Sundance, Oscilloscope Laboratories announced it acquired English language territory rights to the film. Bellflower will be released in theaters August 5th, 2011.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Bellflower
Finally got around to writing a review for this one:

http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=362

Yeah, it's pretty good.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:23 am
Pure Phase

Sounds good. I hope I can see it on the big screen.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:56 am
Wallflower

This movie is kind of badass. Almost like an independent companion piece to Fight Club. I loved it. Loved the style and look of the film. There's a lot to admire here. With his first feature film Evan Glodell has proved to be a filmmaker to watch. It's amazing what has been accomplished with such a small budget. The acting in the film is a little amateurish but I did find the leads (one of them being Glodell himself) to have a nice charm. I thought they worked really well together.

Highly recommend this!

9/10 (A-)

Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:00 pm
Superman: The Movie

Yep, it's very amateurish. Before I go ahead with my criticisms, I will say that I think Evan Glodell is definitely a filmmaker to keep an eye on. The "distinctive look" that the film is being praised for is deserved, but I also think that people are just praising dirty lenses and messed up frames just for the sake of praising something that's different, instead of also commenting that the film was made for $17,000 and Glodell probably didn't have any other choice but to use those takes because he couldn't afford to reshoot. It turned out to be kind of a happy accident, I guess, because the look is all that the film has going for it. Anything in the film that actually involves having to listen to these people past "the cheat" is pretty fucking unbearable. Considering it's just his imagination and a revenge fantasy, he comes across as a whiny bitch who think he's entitled to everything. A girl kills herself for him. His best friend makes a fucking death machine for him and he barely flinches. Then again, considering he's always thinking about the apocalypse, he's clearly always been fucked in the head. I just couldn't give a shit. If the characters were compelling, that'd be one thing. But they aren't.

*½ (D+)

With that in mind, give Evan Glodell a good script, decent actors, and tell him to stay as far away from the script and being in front of the camera, and I'd see what he'd come up with next.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:32 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Jmart wrote:
Considering it's just his imagination and a revenge fantasy, he comes across as a whiny bitch who think he's entitled to everything. A girl kills herself for him. His best friend makes a fucking death machine for him and he barely flinches.

It's up to the viewer to decide if it's all his imagination or not. Sure, it probably didn't happen, IMO anyway, but it could have ;).

The camera used to film Bellflower and responsible for its unique look was made up of parts of different old cameras. Pretty cool I think.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]