Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Crazy, Stupid, Love. 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Crazy, Stupid, Love. 
loyalfromlondon

Post Crazy, Stupid, Love.
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Quote:
Crazy, Stupid, Love. is a 2011 romantic comedy-drama film directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, written by Dan Fogelman, and starring Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, Marisa Tomei, Analeigh Tipton, and Kevin Bacon. The film was released on July 29, 2011.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:29 pm
Sbil

Post Re: Crazy, Stupid, Love.
I loved this. Full of humor, heart, and unpredictability, Crazy, Stupid, Love really succeeds at portraying flawed but likable individuals wrapped up in love's various inner workings. It's also a romantic comedy that actually strives to be different than the norm, which I feel it must be given props for. This is also an ensemble film; while Steve Carell's Cal is undeniably the main focus, he does not dominate the picture. Speaking of Carell, he's great here: this isn't the first time he's effectively mixed pathos and comedy (Dan in Real Life, Little Miss Sunshine), but it's yet another reminder of his talent. Julianne Moore, despite having the more underdeveloped character, is lovely and gives a multi-dimensional performance. Ryan Gosling (aside from being the HOTTEST PERSON ON PLANET EARTH) nearly runs away with the film during some of his scenes; his comic timing (not previously displayed much in his past films) is great...and his scenes with Emma Stone (who continually shows more star quality and charisma than any young actress has in probably a decade) are positively electrifying. A complicated subplot involving Carell and Moore's teenage son with a crush on the babysitter (who in turn has a crush on Carell) could have been unnecessary and/or annoying, but as presented, is not. This has a lot to do with the performances of Jonah Bobo and especially Analeigh Tipton, who is a wonderful find. In smaller roles, Kevin Bacon is solid and the perma-energetic Marisa Tomei capitalizes on her brief but hilarious role. Crazy, Stupid, Love contains some "twists" I didn't see coming and doesn't follow a strict formula. It's a heartfelt winner, one that should definitely catch on with audiences. A-

Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:45 pm
Extraordinary

Just got back from seeing The Thirty-Five Year Old Virgin ...errr, I mean Crazy, Stupid, Love, and I just don't know what to say about it?!?

On one hand it's pretty darn romantic, plus in a more deep, real, love kinda way than most.

But damned if it doesn't have the clunkiest screenplay structure - - it's all over the place - - perhaps the writer is a failed juggler.

The actors really barely need mention - - all the leads are brilliant - - and especially hard not to notice Analeigh Tipton (watch out Amanda Seyfried, the new you has already landed!)

I feel like I should be cheering for this sweet little ROM-COM, but I just keep on goin' meh.

5 out of 5.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:02 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Yeah this film really, really surprised me. I wasn't expecting it to be bad per se, but I just wasn't expecting to love it this much. Everything just works in this film. Everyone is fully realistic, it doesn't try to play by the cliche rules of the genre, and it really is just a lot of fun. Everyone in the cast is great with Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, and Emma Stone being the true stars. In form of romance stories this year, Submarine still holds a bit of an edge but I believe Crazy, Stupid, Love is staying in my Top 10 for the year. ****

Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is easily one of my favorite films of the year so far. Loved every minute of it.

A

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:42 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I saw this with a couple of friends Friday night and we all thought it was great. It was funny and sweet and the cast (Carell, Gosling, Moore, and Stone) was terrific. A very nice film!

8/10 (A-)

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:13 am
Wallflower

jmovies wrote:
Everyone in the cast is great with Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, and Emma Stone being the true stars.[/size]

I don't know. I loved them all, but it doesn't feel right mentioning them and not mentioning Moore. I thought she was effortlessly fabulous as always. I really have a hard time picking between these performances. Loved everyone in it.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:15 am
Devil's Advocate

Really great. Authentic yet still good and light. Reminded me of Little Miss Sunshine in craft actually (maybe it was Carrell + the opening score was LMS-y)

FABULOUS acting work, and these are not easy roles whatsoever. The two kids have to sell being in love subplots that could come off phony, Gosling has to sell the ladies man cliche while being genuine, etc. All the subplots worked relatively equally. I was worried the Robbie thing would go into "Trying to be Love Actually cutesy" zone, but they spent enough time on it that it worked out as genuine. And the 3rd act curveball was a great touch. I would say Stone got the short stick of the cast overall though, she disappears for the meat of the movie in the middle and then is mostly doing comic going through the motions

Solid A to A-

Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:31 am
loyalfromlondon

I found it enjoyable and amusing, though it clearly takes place in no known reality.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:31 am
Extraordinary

CRAZY STUPID LOVE

Redbox'd this today and I loved it. I thought it was an excellent comedy with the right bit of drama mixed in. Gosling was good, the whole cast was good. I liked the plot and parts of it reminded me of 40 Year Old Virgin in terms of the whole getting back into the dating scene and cuz of Carell. I loved the bit of Nanna being Hannah. Obviously I wasn't paying much attention to when they brought up Nanna because it was a surprise that she was his daughter in the end. The climax with everyone meeting up in his backyard was hilarious although a bit dramatic after the fight.

Grade - A

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:43 pm
Forum General

A very solid romantic comedy..

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:28 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I watched this tonight. Mostly annoying. Sure, Gosling is charismatic and engaging, and Carell and Moore are affable, but for every nice, amusing, honest moment there are loads of bum notes. Everything from the big fight on the lawn to Carell's speech at the junior high graduation is a sea of bullshit.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:37 am
Sbil

David wrote:
I watched this tonight. Mostly annoying. Sure, Gosling is charismatic and engaging, and Carell and Moore are affable, but for every nice, amusing, honest moment there are loads of bum notes. Everything from the big fight on the lawn to Carell's speech at the junior high graduation is a sea of bullshit.

C

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:58 am
Sbil

This is on HBO right now. Good lord I love it. The scene with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone's "seduction"? Omg. So good.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:10 pm
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:
This is on HBO right now. Good lord I love it. The scene with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone's "seduction"? Omg. So good.

Word. I just mentioned that scene to my girlfriend a few hours ago.

One of the best romcoms in years.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

It was good up until the Emma Stone is Steve Carrell's daughter reveal. A classic Wedding Crashers collapse in the late innings.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:18 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I disagree completely, that scene is amazing. Great throwback to old school farce theater. Kevin Bacon's "You left this in my car" is just hilarious.

The daughter reveal was completely predictable, but the teacher reveal was just awkwardly hilarious. Tolmei being insane just never gets old

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:51 pm
We had our time together

This quickly became one of my favorite rom-coms. It's such an enjoyable, lovely movie. The casting couldn't be any better. This Ryan Gosling guy is amazing, just watched this and Lars back to back, and besides both characters (ultimate Womanizer/loneliest guy on earth) being so opposite, he nailed both of them to perfection. Steve Carrell & Julianne Moore are great too and the heart of the movie. There's a scene in the middle where she's calling him just to talk to him and hear his voice and it's one of the most beautiful, moving scenes from the last few years. I loved how the movie handled their relationship. Really well done.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It is definitelxy ma favorite romcom of the past 5-6 years and still in my Top 5 for 2011. Terrific film and amazingly rewatchable. The chemistry between Gosling and Stone is palpable.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

What's your favorite romcom 5-6 years ago? :)

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Oh I actually just said that number because I just couldn't remember the last GREAT romcom before it. I think the one that is definitely the same level is Love Actually, but that was 8 years earlier. Not sure if there was a romcom I loved as much or more inbetween.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Gosling makes this film, but it is incredible that also everything around him doesn't suck at all. It all just clicks.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

FINALLY saw this. Thought it was wonderful. And my brother and I have decided that the twist was NOT predictable. Obviously after the fact... but during it? I had no idea.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:54 pm
now we know

All I have to say about this film is two points:

1. Ryan Gosling. Buff. Wow. We all want to be him when we watch this movie.
2. Steve Carrel could never be a player. Period. This was eye-rollingly cringeworthy.

One is a positive thing, the other is a negative thing. It's a little unlikely that the secret reveal would have ever happened, and the fight at the end is odd, as is the public speaking by the young boy (and the interruption by his dad), but overall it's a B. Pleasantly surprising.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]