Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Last Samurai 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

The Last Samurai 
College Boy Z

Post The Last Samurai
The Last Samurai

Quote:
The Last Samurai is a 2003 American epic drama film directed and co-produced by Edward Zwick, who also co-wrote the screenplay based on a story by John Logan. The film was inspired by a project developed by writer and director Vincent Ward. Ward became executive producer on the film – working in development on it for nearly four years and after approaching several directors (Coppola, Weir), he interested Edward Zwick. The film production went ahead with Zwick and was shot in Ward’s native New Zealand.

The film stars Tom Cruise (who also co-produced) in the role of American soldier Nathan Algren, whose personal and emotional conflicts bring him into contact with samurai warriors in the wake of the Meiji Restoration in the Empire of Japan in 1876 and 1877. Other actors include Ken Watanabe, Shin Koyamada, Tony Goldwyn, Hiroyuki Sanada, Timothy Spall, and Billy Connolly. The film's plot was inspired by the 1877 Satsuma Rebellion led by Saigō Takamori, and also on the stories of Jules Brunet, a French army captain who fought alongside Enomoto Takeaki in the earlier Boshin War and Frederick Townsend Ward, an American mercenary who helped Westernize the Chinese army by forming the Ever Victorious Army.

The historical roles of the British Empire, the Netherlands and France in Japanese westernization are largely attributed to the United States in the film. These details, characters in the film and the real story are simplified for plot purposes; the film does not seek to duplicate history. The Last Samurai was well received upon release, with a worldwide box office of $456 million. In addition it was nominated for several awards, including the Academy Awards, the Golden Globes and the National Board of Review.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:41 pm
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

This is one of the those movies that just gets worse with each watch. After my 2nd watch of the movie, I got the Cold Mountain feeling with this, that there was no heart. One must commend Edward Zwick for crafting a great movie, and Ken Watnabee for his performance but everything else seems just called him. Tom Crusie...you can do better than your performance here...come on.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

A pale imitation of Dances With Wolves and even Zwick's earlier film Glory. I wanted to like it, some part I did like. Ken Watanbe was good, as was Cruise. The ending was just too unbelievable. Plus, I made the mistake of watching it after Return Of The King. It just couldn't hold up. I rate it a B-.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I cant believe you guys. This movie was fabulous. The direction was awesome and the score was beautiful.Everything about this movie rocked

A must see

A

Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:45 am
College Boy Z

While I did like this movie, it wasn't as great as I hoped it would be. Tom Cruise was great in this movie, and the battle scenes were very well done. The movie did seem to drag on a lot, though, and a few things needed improvement.

My Grade: B

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:44 pm
now we know

The BEST movie of 2003. Superb. I could write for days about this film, but I am not going to. So, I'll just go now. :)

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Last edited by Algren on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I bought the DVD of this film around 3 months ago and I still have yet to watch it.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:34 pm
Golfaholic

Don't believe the hype. It's a good movie, but no masterpiece. The action is solid, Tom Cruise gives another really good performance, but Zwick's direction is flawed as alway (B+)

Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:56 pm
Forum General

I thought it was beautifully done and, for the most part, emotionally effective, but its narrative was quite underwhelming (lousy exposition, no 'epic' feel, ineffective portrayal of the young emperor) and for a film that appears to be so in tune with the Asian culture, there sure were a lot of shots of Tom Cruise's love interest bathing in waterfalls and the like (oh, she's Japanese, so exotic!).

It's a good film, though. B+

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

I flippin' loved this movie. I thought it'd be good, but it totally blew me away.

A+

Great acting across the board. Visually beautiful. Brilliant score. Some slight problems with the screenplay, but other than that I thought it was brilliant.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:51 pm
We had our time together

It's a very good movie but an average epic. It's by far not as great as say Braveheart :D A-

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I thought it was good but not great. Tom was great though.

7/10 (B)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed May 04, 2005 12:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri May 06, 2005 7:47 pm
Profile YIM
Star Trek XI

This movie was done well enough. It caught my attention when I was looking for something to watch on TV and it was good enough that I didn't change the channel.

Grade: B

1. Titanic - $600.8m
2. Star Wars - $461.0m
3. Shrek 2 - $441.2m
4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial - $435.1m
5. The Phantom Menace - $431.1m
6. Spider-Man - $403.7m
7. Revenge of the Sith - $380.3m
8. Return of the King - $377.0m
9. Spider-Man 2 - $373.6m
10. The Passion of the Christ - $370.8m

Fri May 06, 2005 11:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

Civil War hero Nathan Algren (Tom Cruise) is hired by the Japanese to train the Japanese solders and lead them against the forces of rebels - the Samurai protesting against western influences in their culture. When Algren is captured by the "enemy", but left alive for his braveness, he slowly, but gradually comes to appreciate the culture of the Samurai and their honor code.

I had no anticipation for the movie when it was first announced, but the teaser and the final trailer gradually increased my anticipation in the flick. The movie did not leave me disappointed as it presented a very entertaining historical epic that delivered on many levelks. The storyline is mostly well-researched, even though the Samurai are being idealized a whole lot in the movie of course. Tom Cruise delivers another rock-solid performance (why didn't this guy get an Oscar yet?!), but in The Last Samurai, he is by far outshined by Ken Watanabe, playing the leader of the Samuari, Hatsumoto, with all the necessary wisdoom and suaveness.

Visually, the movie is an eye candy. It had the misfortune of coming out in the same year as the mother of all epics, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Otherwise, I could easily see the art direction Oscar and most definitely the Best Costume Desin Oscar going to it. The director Ed Zwick also let the movie deliver on the levels of cinematography, editing and the score. It is not a flawless movie and the ending certainly seems too happy for its own good, but it does give some insight into the Samuari culture, excellent performances accross the board, amazing production values and a captivating and interesting story. Movies like Kingdom of Heaven, King Arthur and Alexander really make me appreaciate the epic that is The Last Samurai.

Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

B+

fun watch, but not one I would check out again.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

I flippin' loved this movie. I thought it'd be good, but it totally blew me away.

A+

Great acting across the board. Visually beautiful. Brilliant score. Some slight problems with the screenplay, but other than that I thought it was brilliant.

Whoa. That's really enthusiastic.

I watched it again tonight with some friends. Nowhere near an A+. I still feel the same way (superb acting, great visuals, great score, faulty screenplay). The pacing dragged a little...but it's ok. It spent more time investigating the life of the Samurai than I think it should. It's emotional resound and theme relies to much on the audiences understanding of the Samurai. I think a bit more character study would have done some good. But overall, it doesn't really deter from the movie, and it's still solid. A-

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:13 am
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Emotionally, the movie blew me away. Gets an A- for inducing sobs; the film itself is nothing extraordinary.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:31 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

I just find this film overrated. I found it quite dissapointing, Its decent but nothing more. One of Cruise's lesser efforts.

Grade: C+

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:27 am
Extraordinary

Well I really enjoyed this one. Finally! -- Melodrama appropriately used as the motor of a marvellous vehicle built out of a streamlined yet epic historical story.

The Klingonesque code of honour and the devotion of the Samurai to their destiny and each moment along the way are revealed through the cross-cultural perspective given by their meeting with the Western warrior. Tom Cruise' character by "going native", illustrates the kind of truths a superficial treatment like Lost in Translation can't even begin to scratch, and which The Missing seriously fumbled while trying to catch similar themes. The direction was fluid and propulsive and perfectly suited the bigger-than-life screenplay - this movie didn't seem long at almost two and a half hours - as a matter of fact - it flew by. Pretty amazing to see a dramatic movie done right - I was beginning to lose hope there for a while with so many people praising other dramatic films released around the same time (such as Mystic River, 21 Grams, and the aforementioned Sophia Coppola and Ron Howard movies), which IMHO, were hopelessly jumbled, overcomplicated, heartless dime store novels compared to this Movie's Movie. Imagine if there were modern day Samurai to restore honor to our treacherous world...

6 out of 5.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:23 am
Mod Team Leader

A

Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:10 am
Profile WWW
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Post Re: The Last Samurai
A truly amazing film. The best war movie of all - time. [ Note: I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan ]

A

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:46 pm
Forum General

That is like calling Unforgiven the best Western without seeing The Good The Bad and The Ugly or the Searchers!! ^^^^

The Last Samurai is a good film, and it shows a side of history we do not know about.

B+

Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Ev@n wrote:
A truly amazing film. The best war movie of all - time. [ Note: I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan ]

A

Or, it would seem, any other one.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:08 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

yoshue wrote:
Ev@n wrote:

A

Or, it would seem, any other one.

?

Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next