Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 When Will I Be Loved 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

When Will I Be Loved 
College Boy Z

Post When Will I Be Loved
When Will I Be Loved

Quote:
When Will I Be Loved is a 2004 film directed by James Toback. It was filmed in 12 days.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:08 pm
All Star Poster

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I was really anticipating Neve Campbell's new flick WHEN WILL I BE LOVED? I wanted to see it so bad, I almost blind bought it, but because of the negitive word of mouth, I just decided to Netflix the film instead. While I didn't love it, it wasn't as bad as many people made it out to be. I think Neve Campbell did a fantastic job with her charactor, I just loved her. She really shines in everything she's in, no matter how bad it is. I think the film would have been one or even two points lower if it wasn't for her. The whole lesbian scene was just stupid though, I mean, why was it there? There was no point to it. All of the other acting was pretty bad, but I didn't really mind it. The movie wasn't boring, like many people say it is. Overall, I thought it was a fun movie to watch. Though if you don't like artsy movies, you definetely wouldn't like this. I would probably buy it if I saw it in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart or pre-viewed at Blockbuster or something. Until then, I probably won't watch it again.

7/10 (B)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

"Were it not for Campbell's classy magnetism in the role, the crass motivations behind this episodic pastiche would be easier to reject."
-- Jules Brenner (FC), VARIAGATE.COM

Plot:

Vera (Neve Campbell) is a femme fatale for the 21st century, a beautiful, capricious young woman exploring the limits of her sexual and intellectual power. She picks up men on the street and has sex with them in her room. She also videotapes her sexual romps with a female lover, and has sexually frank discussions with her potential employer. As the daughter of wealthy, indulgent parents, Vera seems to be improvising her way through the beginning of her life as an adult. Her boyfriend, Ford (Frederick Weller), is a fast-talking hustler prepared to do anything to make a buck. Aware of Vera's promiscuity, Ford sees a chance to make big money when he meets an aging Italian media mogul, named Count Tommaso (Dominic Chianese), who is enamored of Vera because of her sexuality, her intelligence, and what he perceives as her naiveté. Ford cooks up an idea to pimp Vera out to the Count for $100,000, easy money, if he can only talk Vera into it. Incredibly, she agrees. Everything appears to be going even better than planned...but the men have gravely underestimated Vera, who has a few desires of her own. Ford and the Count unwittingly play right into her hands, and when her plan comes to fruition, the results are staggering.

WHEN WILL I BE LOVED (2004)

I hated Writer-Director James Toback's Two Girls & A Guy (4/10 or D+) and I wasn't very pleased with Harvard Man (5/10 or C) either. Yet as soon as I heard about this movie around half a year before it was released in theaters I was dying to see it and expected great things from it. Even though I wasn't a fan of Toback's, I thought there was no way he could screw this one up. It had an interesting premise and I was really looking forward to seeing Neve Campbell play a woman who uses her sexuality to get what she wants. I find films about women using their body to gain control and be in power highly interesting. Neve Campbell is a very talented actress and I really respect how she's more concerned about the art of making movies than the money. To prove this she hardly made a cent for 2003's The Company and even paid money out of her own pocket to get it made. She's definitely a hard-working and respectable actress. So I found it very respectable that she dropped the no-nudity clause she had in her contract for this movie. I usually don't respect when an actor won't do nudity if it's necessary for the part. I feel if you really love making movies and are a serious actor then you should go all out for a role if you have to. So I really applaud her for baring almost all now in the name of art. It's just too bad she picked the wrong movie to do it for. The premise was fascinating and Neve is a really good actress, so even with Writer-Director James Toback involved I was expecting this to be one of the best movies of the year. Unfortunately it isn't, and is instead the most disappointing film of the year. I guess Toback can mess anything up.

The first half of "When Will I Be Loved" cuts between Neve Campbell's character Vera and Vera's sleazy, scheming boyfriend Ford (Fred Weller). The scenes with Ford were some of the most annoying, uninteresting, and pointless scenes I have seen all year. During most of these scenes the dialogue was going in one ear and out the other. I don't think all of these scenes were necessary for us to be able to tell he's a no good bum. We can tell that early on. Instead these scenes felt like fillers to make the movie longer because Toback lacked material to make an entire movie. It's hard to see why though because the idea of Vera using sex to gain power was interesting enough and is enough to fill a whole movie. Between Ford's scenes of trying to screw people over and hustle them as a way of making money, we also see Vera taking a walk with a professor of African studies, interviewing for a job for him. During these scenes something just felt off and awkward. Without even knowing what Toback looked like, I thought, "I bet that's James Toback playing the professor." All I know is that it didn't feel real or genuine and I had a feeling there was some wink-wink in-joke that was responsible for it, and sure enough when the credits rolled I found out that it was James Toback as the professor. I wish he had stayed behind the camera because he was not believable in the part at all and the scenes with him and Campbell came off way too pretentious and even Campbell's acting was at its poorest during these scenes. She seemed out of character during them. And it didn't help that during these scenes we are "treated" to an annoying, distracting, and just plain stupid cameo by Mike Tyson.

I did really like the scene in the first half of the movie where a classmate of Vera's, Joelle (Joelle Carter - American Pie 2), drops by and Neve keeps telling her that she's hot, eventually asking if she can kiss her. Joelle accepts and the two begin to get intimate behind a see-through curtain up against a window. We only see from one angle, which is from behind Campbell, who is in front of Carter's character, so the scene really isn't that graphic. You know what they're doing but you don't see any tongue action or anything like that. This isn't a problem though; I loved the way the scene was filmed. It was very tastefully done and beautiful. It was one of my favorite scenes in the movie.

"When Will I Be Loved" is under an hour and twenty minutes long, so when almost nothing happens in the first 40 minutes regarding plot I was getting worried. Finally at about 45 minutes into it when Vera meets Count Tommaso (Dominic Chianese) I found myself more interested. I thought their exchanges of dialogue were great and Neve is truly given her chance to shine during these scenes. After their scenes together I also loved the scene of Vera going to the bank to put the million dollars she got from the Count in exchange for her spending the afternoon with him into a deposit box. I think the main reason I enjoyed this scene so much was because the song "Tell Him" by The Exciters was playing during it. I found the song to work great in this scene and I highly enjoyed it here. It made the scene one of my favorites in the movie and I had to download the song right away afterwards. The rest of the film wasn't as good. But it still wasn't as bad as the first half.

As much as I respect Neve Campbell I've been pretty disappointed in her last couple of movie choices. I found The Company (5/10 or C) pretty poor and while I didn't think When Will I Be Loved could fail, it did. She could do so much better than these movies. If you want to do smaller, independent films then that's great. I love smaller films. But please pick some better ones. I'm not mad at Neve for doing either of these movies and I still find her to be really talented, but go out and find your "Monster" or "Boys Don't Cry" - something worthy of your effort. If you want to do a brutal relationship drama then find something like "Closer." I really hope her upcoming projects are better. Aside from my disappointment in the film though Neve Campbell was as good as she could be. It was also refreshing to see a regular, healthy sized female body in a nude scene. She is beautiful and sexy, not fat in the least, just not anorexic skinny either. I think this sends a good message to any women who do see this film. You don't have to be a stick to be attractive and have a career in front of the camera, be it in acting or modeling.

While Neve gives the only note-worthy performance in the film I do feel it necessary to mention how annoying I found Fred Weller to be in this film. I don't think many could have pulled off playing such an obnoxious and pathetic character without being annoying themselves so it's likely not his fault, but I still couldn't stand him. It was mainly the character I couldn't stand more than anything, and Fred did have the look of a sleazy hustler, but I still think someone else might have been able to play the part in a less grating fashion.

I'm a pretty open-minded person when it comes to movies and I really wanted to love When Will I Be Loved. Too bad it couldn't have been as great as the title, which is probably my favorite title of any 2004 movie. It had such promise. But in the hands of Toback something that seemed impossible to mess up has managed to be a big letdown. I sure hope nobody I like ever works with him in the future so I won't have a reason to see any of his films. He has to be one of the very worst filmmakers working today. If it weren't for Neve Campbell keeping me interested I think I would have liked this movie even less. Her and the music, which worked pretty well for the movie (I dug the remake of "When Will I Be Loved" performed by Ria that plays at the beginning and of course "Tell Him" by The Exciters), were the highlights. For each good scene there were four or five awful ones, leaving only about three scenes in the whole movie that I liked. I don't think I could sit through most of the scenes again.

Unless you're a fan of Toback's work, I wouldn't recommend "When Will I Be Loved" because most of the people who see it are practically guaranteed to hate it.

Grade: 5/10 ( C )

ImageImage

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

A horrible and extremely disappointing film with no real purpose or relevance. One of 2004's worst.

4/10 (D+)

Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:28 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I wish someone liked this besides me :cry:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street