Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Kissing Jessica Stein 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 9

Kissing Jessica Stein 
College Boy Z

Post Kissing Jessica Stein
Kissing Jessica Stein

Quote:
Kissing Jessica Stein is a 2001 independent romantic comedy film, written and co-produced by the film's stars, Jennifer Westfeldt and Heather Juergensen. The film also stars Tovah Feldshuh and is directed by Charles Herman-Wurmfeld. The film is based on a scene from the 1997 off-Broadway play by Westfeldt and Juergensen called Lipschtick.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:02 pm
Wallflower

Genre: Romance and Comedy

Runtime: 1 hr. 34 min.

Plot:

After an optimistic but nightmarish dating spree, neurotic New York journalist Jessica Stein happens upon an intriguing personal ad whose only drawback is that it's in the 'women seeking women' section. On a daring whim, she decides to answer it and, to her surprise, ends up instantly clicking with downtown hipster Helen Cooper. The women proceed to muddle through an earnest courtship in which, with conventional gender roles absent, they are forced to make it up as they go along.

Release Date: March 13, 2002 Limited.

MPAA Rating: R for sexual content and language.

Distributor: Fox Searchlight

Starring: Jennifer Westfeldt, Heather Juergensen, Michael Mastro, Carson Elrod, Idina Menzel

Directed by: Charles Herman-Wurmfeld

Produced by: Eden Wurmfeld, Brad Zions

"Gay or straight, Kissing Jessica Stein is one of the greatest date movies in years."
-- Rob Blackwelder, SPLICEDWIRE

"One of the greatest romantic comedies of the past decade."
-- Jeffrey M. Anderson, SAN FRANCISCO EXAMINER

"Without resorting to hyperbole, I can state that Kissing Jessica Stein may be the best same-sex romance I have seen."
-- James Berardinelli, REELVIEWS

"Throws in enough clever and unexpected twists to make the formula feel fresh."
-- Todd Anthony, SOUTH FLORIDA SUN-SENTINEL

"The good news for Jessica and the rest of us is that Kissing Jessica Stein delivers that rare combination of winning traits."
-- Mark Caro, CHICAGO TRIBUNE

"The costarring screenwriters not only have an ear for dialogue, they work their affinity for language into their plot"
-- Laura Clifford, REELING REVIEWS

"Witty dialog between realistic characters showing honest emotions. It's touching and tender and proves that even in sorrow you can find humor. Like blended shades of lipstick, these components combine into one terrific story with lots of laughs."
-- Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, THEMOVIECHICKS.COM

"The people in Jessica are so recognizable and true that, as in real life, we're never sure how things will work out."
-- Chris Hewitt, ST. PAUL PIONEER PRESS

"... a delightfully unpredictable, hilarious comedy with wonderful performances that tug at your heart in ways that utterly transcend gender labels."
-- Lou Lumenick, NEW YORK

KISSING JESSICA STEIN (2002)

This is a film that just gets better and better with each viewing. You couldn’t possibly notice exactly how great it is in only one viewing. Well, in my opinion at least. There are so many little things that you notice the more you watch it and it makes you appreciate the film more and more. There's a lot of fast, witty dialogue to take in. The first time I saw it I loved it, but not as much as I do now after several viewings.

Thankfully "Kissing Jessica Stein" was able to live up to its catchy concept, resulting in one of the best and most original romantic comedies I've seen in quite some time. It's sort of like a same-sex version of "When Harry Met Sally." Jennifer Westfeldt and Heather Juergensen, who star as Jessica and Helen, also wrote the wonderfully clever script. They have a real knack for dialogue. Not only that but they also give two very natural and charming performances. Jennifer Westfeldt couldn’t be more adorable. Her performance is just so smooth and wonderful and she has a real beautiful, classy look. Jessica Stein is one of my favorite movie characters of all time. The more I watch the film, the more I love her. I love her neurotic behavior; she makes it cute and funny. Towards the end during a scene where she says “How could you say that to me?” it amazes me how perfect she delivers that line, it’s so funny and sad. The character of Jessica might have been semi-annoying if she were played by anyone else, but Westfeldt gives Jessica the right amount of charm and cuteness to make us love her. Westfeldt and Juergensen are definitely quite a find. They were able to take a controversial topic and create a light and fun film that can be enjoyed by almost anyone. Now that's not to say that it doesn't have its serious moments. One particular scene involving Jessica and her mother (Tovah Feldshuh), was quite touching. I loved how the simple line "I think she's a very nice girl" was able to make such an unbelievably huge impact.

I think anyone, male/female or gay/straight, will be able to relate to "Kissing Jessica Stein" in one way or another. It's not easy finding someone you "click" with and it can seem hopeless sometimes, like you will never find "the one." So when you actually do find someone you "click" with, it's a great feeling. In "Kissing Jessica Stein," Jessica is shocked when her date with Helen ends up being one of the best dates she's ever been on. She finds herself confused because she has finally found someone she "clicks" with, except it's not a man, and she's not a lesbian. Jessica, not sure what to do, pursues a relationship with Helen. This leads to a number of funny moments with Jessica trying to be turned on by Helen and trying to find herself by experimenting, at one point she even breaks out the "how to" books on lesbianism.

Another thing I really enjoyed about "Kissing Jessica Stein" was the music. I usually don't like Jazz but the songs went perfect with the film. I love listening to “Manhattan” by Ella Fitzgerald now; it makes me think of the scenes it’s played during. I also love the very fun and catchy "When The Special Girlfriend" by Ute Lemper. And although it wasn’t in the movie itself, only in the previews, I love the song “I Kissed A Girl” by Jill Sobule. Every time I hear it I think of the scene with Jessica and Helen on the couch at Helen’s place. If it didn’t come out way before the movie, I’d swear it was made special for this movie.

It’s really disappointing that the Academy didn’t remember it come Oscar time. It deserved to at least be nominated, especially for its amazing screenplay. It deserved to win an Oscar for its screenplay. The dialogue is great, really smart and flawless. It’s one of the best-written screenplays I can think of and a very quotable movie. The writing in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" wasn’t nearly as good and that got a nomination for its screenplay. I think if you reversed the Box Office grosses of "Kissing Jessica Stein" and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," "Kissing Jessica Stein" would have been nominated and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" wouldn’t have. It’s also disappointing that Fox Searchlight didn’t push this movie more, because while it was a little sleeper hit (Grossed 7 Million at the Box Office on a budget of only 1 Million), it could have been an even bigger one. The movie is pretty mainstream for the subject matter, not very graphic at all. With excellent reviews and word-of-mouth, it would have been sure to catch on. It should have eventually gotten released wide; I’m sure it would have done well and had good legs. It's really too bad it wasn't given a bigger push, but at least it still did well under the circumstances. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to forgive the Academy for snubbing it or Fox Searchlight for not trying hard enough.

I also must say for such a small budget the film looked great, director Charles Herman-Wurmfeld did a top-notch job. A lot of people seem to have a problem with the ending, and the first time I watched it I was a little disappointed when it started going in that direction because there's a spot where I thought it could have ended perfectly (you'll see what I mean when you see it), but now I find the ending perfect and realistically it couldn’t have ended any other way. It doesn’t end how most will expect but that’s a good thing. It has a happy ending, just not the one you'll expect. I can see why some people wouldn't like the ending, but for me it only makes it better. "Kissing Jessica Stein" is a classic romantic comedy that shouldn’t be missed. It’s one of my all-time favorites and the best film of 2002. Jennifer Westfeldt and Heather Juergensen desperately need to team up again in the future. I’m surprised studios weren’t already pounding down their doors to get them to do another project together. I can’t explain how excited I’d be to see another film from them. I look forward to seeing more from them in the future. They haven’t done nearly enough since.

Grade: 10/10 (A+)

Last edited by Magic Mike on Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:30 pm
Veteran

I hated this film.

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Hysterical and it has a heart. One of this centuries true romantic comedy gems.

10/10 (A+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

HOLY SHIT! :shock: TWO people have given it an F so far? What is wrong with everyone? The second person that gave it an F and didn't post probably didn't even see it ;). Anyway, this movie is definitely not for everyone. My friends all loved it but my brother and my sister's don't "get it." The big words were just way over their heads and they totally didn't understand the movie at all. At least it got excellent reviews though and has a big following. I myself don't see how someone could give it an F unless they didn't understand the dialogue and the movie was too fast and talky for them, OR unless they belong to a Jerry Falwell fan club and don't like it because of their extreme religious beliefs.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:18 am
Wallflower

Alright, now another person gave this an "F", without posting of course. Now I'm definitely convinced this one was because of my last post complaining about it. Someone did it just to spite me [-(...

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:12 pm
College Boy Z

Alright, now another person gave this an "F", without posting of course. Now I'm definitely convinced this one was because of my last post complaining about it. Someone did it just to spite me [-(...

There are hidden posters, who can still vote but don't post, Mike.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:31 pm
Wallflower

Mike wrote:

Yeah I know. And they are obviously trashing this movie to spite me ;).

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:50 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Zingaling wrote:
Mike wrote:

Yeah I know. And they are obviously trashing this movie to spite me ;).

Maybe I am

*clicks 'F'*

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Stop giving it bad grades :cry: I'd vote right now but my computer is being an ass :mad:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

This is ridiculous :roll:. I'm sure most of the people that gave it an "F" haven't even seen it so I'd advise anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet and is thinking about seeing it to ignore those ratings.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:29 pm
Forum General

After you guys see this, you should just let it marinate before you give it a final grade :wink:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

After you guys see this, you should just let it marinate before you give it a final grade :wink:

LOL! I love using that word now ;).

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:49 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Well-acted and generally sweet. An excellent film.

9/10 (A-)

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:57 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

I think the best description for Kissing Jessica Stein is that it is a well-done mixture of Sex and the City and some older Woody Allen relationship dramedies. Only with lesbians (well, mostly). Unlike some other films that tried to copy Allen's style and failed, this one actually does it pretty well since it adds its own fresh note to it. Mostly, it's thanks to the great interplay between the both actresses Jennifer Westfeldt and Heather Juergensen. In particular Juergensen's exuberant and lively portrayal of Helen impressed me in this film. I also liked the way they handled the relationship between the two. Not too many clichés, not overly sweet, yet sweet enough. I liked the whole beginnings and the development of their relationship. It was not even the fact that these were two women instead of a guy and a gal that made this thing fresh, it's just the whole approach to the characters, the well-written sharp dialogue and some good bits of Allen-like humor. Overall I just liked that the film didn't really make a big deal out of the fact that this was a same-sex relationship and much rather just dealt with it as if it were your usual romcom couple. There are no gratuitous lesbian moments here, not much more awkwardness than usual. There's the typical lifelike giddiness of the first-time kiss, the blossoming romance and all that. As I said, it is sweet, but not too much so and not as cliché-ridden as most romcoms are nowadays.

The supporting characters are sadly a bit bland here as the whole film really focuses a lot on Helen and Jessica. They try to bring in something on the other characters here and their relationships with Jessica, but that just didn't work for me. On the whole I was enjoying the film a lot...until the ending. I can't tell much without spoiling things a lot, but after the whole movie and all the characters went through...well, it certainly is a Woody Allen-like approach there as well and it's a somber ending..but in this case I actually did not like that it ended this way for the characters. Ah well, I still enjoyed this film a whole lot more than I expected. If you wanna see a well-done romcom that you probably haven't seen yet - check out Kissing Jessica Stein!

Oh and four F's in the poll for it are quite ridiculous.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:19 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Kissing Jessica Stein
It's a fascinating, intelligent, and very entertaining examination of sexuality and love. KJS covers homosexuality with a blunt yet appropriate edge that is rarely found. It's witty dialogue and clever script keeps the viewer on their toes and gives them plenty to digest. The film does not take itself at all seriously, as many gay films are tempted to do, but rather allows a free flow of humor and insightfulness to run. Its a relatively simple film but its successful on all of its attempts and has a somewhat surprising ending that really wraps things up and gives a good final summary. Overall I quite loved it, and was glad to see a movie that wasn't afraid to talk about sex but at the same time didn't do it with the relish of a 9th grader.

5/5

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:50 am
Wallflower

I'm so glad you loved it :). You didn't say anything about the acting though. Did you enjoy Westfeldt's performance?

Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:51 pm

I found her to be quite good at the neurotic crazy mess, but on the whole I thought both Heather Jurgensen and her character, helen, were more likeable and more fun to see on screen. All around the acting was pretty solid. The whole thing was made to feel very real and almost like a big budget version of a home video documenting someones life, and the actors all succeed at fully bringing that to light.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:59 am
Wallflower

I'm disappointed to hear you say that :P. I just ADORE Jennifer Westfeldt. She is so amazing. But of course this is the first thing you've seen her in (maybe you'll jump on the Jennifer Westfeldt bandwagon after seeing Ira & Abby - she's at her most adorable in that), and I didn't ADORE her right off the bat. She grew on me a lot with repeat viewings. Hopefully this will be one you'll watch again, maybe with friends. I introduced my friends to it individually and they all loved it. Well, my straight male friend really liked it, and he didn't care for rom-coms in general so you couldn't ask for more. He found Westfeldt and her character hilarious. One of my female friends thought it was just the cutest movie ever. And I kind of agree ;). Go buy a copy of the DVD and share it with people you love :P.

There are just so many hilarious lines in this movie. One part that comes to mind is when Jessica tries to come up with a reason to give her mom as to why Helen just flew out of the bridal shop and she's like, "Oh, uh, her brother died at his wedding." It's all in the delivery ;).

Jessica: [telling Helen why her relationship with Larry didn't work out] He just wasn't funny, you know? That's always been my problem, I think. Not smart or not funny. Or not smart and not funny. Or smart, but in a totally unappealing way like funny stupid or funny dopy, rather than funny witty, or funny ironic or funny goofy. Or, you think they're smart- and then you realize that they're not- and that's funny. But funny tragic. And then, if you're lucky enough to find someone who's the right kind of smart and the right kind of funny, usually they're just... kinda...
Helen: Ugly?
Jessica: Ugly, exactly. Oh my god, is that awful?
Helen: No, not at all. Ugly doesn't do it for you. That's okay. See me, I'm kinda into ugly... But only if it's sexy ugly.

I love this conversation. And I even incoporated "funny tragic" and "sexy ugly" into my vocab.

Helen: Some people smoke pot, some people bungee jump, some people chant. What do you do to be happy?
Jessica: Nothing. I'm not.

Jessica: Oh, I'm a terrible insomniac.
Helen: I'm so sorry. Since when?
Jessica: Um, I don't know, since birth.

Helen: What does your therapist say about all of this?
Jessica: Oh, I could never tell my therapist.
Helen: Why not?
Jessica: Because it's private.

Jessica: [to Helen] Oh, no offense... no offense. I mean look at you. Who wouldn't want to have sex with you. I mean 'do' you.

There are so many great nuggets in there. I love when she's spilling the news to her pregnant friend and totally overreacting to everything.

It's because of Jessica Stein that I fell in love with neurotic female characters. Plus, I can be a bit neurotic myself so it's a bit relatable.

Anyway, I'd tell you to watch Ira & Abby, but I'd rather you watch it on your own and it wouldn't count as my recommendation to you. It's one I recommend on the side :P.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]