Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Man on Fire (2004) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
B 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Man on Fire (2004) 
College Boy Z

Post Man on Fire (2004)
Man on Fire

Quote:
Man on Fire is a 2004 American action film based on a novel of the same name by A. J. Quinnell, that had previously been filmed in 1987. This version was directed by Tony Scott and starred Denzel Washington.

Awesome film. Denzel Washington was excellent, and the style of the film was great.

A-

Last edited by zingy on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:39 pm
Extraordinary

I honestly didn't love it like you all did I guess. The film was very messy and flawed, still very entertaining and Washington & Fanning are great.

- B-

Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:28 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I just watched this movie today, and i thought it was amazing!! Denzel does a great job, and action is great. One of the best of year!! Im glad i bought it on DVD

A+!

Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

I really like this movie I thought the ending should have been different though.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

I caught part of this film on a plane and only got up to the part where he put that explosive device up that blokes bum and the bloke asks him for a final wish and Washington's character says:

"I wish you had more time!" (and walks off)

BOOMMM!!! :lol:

I also missed the beginning because I was watching another film and never got to the end because the plane was do to land!

Guess I'll have to catch this at another time! I did enjoy what I got to see though!

'The stars in the sky...
Bring tears to my eyes...
They're lighting my way... tonight.

And I haven't felt so alive..
In years.'

MOS

Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

WOW!! Most surprising movie of the year! It's a masterpiece. Dakota Fanning is heartbreaking!! A+ and best movie of the year.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:28 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

The ending is bad. Denzel is as good as ever. Fanning is very good.

B

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

B

Ending was my favorite part :wink:

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:05 am
Veteran

jb007 wrote:

B

That either means you liked the ending or you were happy that the movie was finally over.

The last 15 minutes (after Denzel goes to the slum to take the callers wife and brother hostage) could have been much better. It is still an enjoyable movie.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

lovemerox wrote:
jb007 wrote:

B

That either means you liked the ending or you were happy that the movie was finally over.

The last 15 minutes (after Denzel goes to the slum to take the callers wife and brother hostage) could have been much better. It is still an enjoyable movie.

It means I liked the ending...alot

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:47 pm
Draughty

The first 45 minutes was good, the rest was pretty boring standard revenge movie. If they had kept going on the track with the way they started it could have ended up a great film about redemption and him refinding his soul, then they could have had a failed kidnapping attempt at the end for a little action. Man I'd love to see that version of it, as a drama. But it became a run of the mill revenge fantasy, sleep inducing.

Dakotah Fanning should get a best supporting actress nomination. Kids have gotten it before and she was as good as Tatum O'Neil or Anna Paquin were.

And as a side note, it was amazing to me how much the kidnapping scene was copied from the end of Fellowship of the Ring as far as how it was staged. I practically expected a big orc to show up to put one last arrow in Creasey/Boromir.

Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

You guys have to be on crack :razz: :wink:

The movie is at no point great, but the first hour is at least good. Then it turns into a complete diaster. A stupid, ridiculous mess. I mean I figured it wouldn't be a great movie, but I thought maybe you can shut your brain off and it's jsut mindless entertainment. Maybe, but you REALLY have to shut your brain off for this one. IT's so been there done that that it's jsut, ugh, frustrating. Which even then I could forgive, but it's just so pointless, and...well, bad. I even saw the two major twists coming (the ones involving Tita and Samuel)(not like oh I'm sure this is gonna happen, but I kept it in the back of my mind that it was a possibility), probably because it's such a dumb film that I figured they would try to pull some ridiculous twist like that.

Denzel Washington is good, DAkota Fannning was the only thing about the film that really surprised me. She is nothing short of astonishing in every scene.

The funniest part of the movie is at the end when, after portraying Mexico city as a horrible place to be in, with horrible people, horrible everything, they have that little message about "Mexico city, a very special place" :lol:

An Awful pointless mess, with horrible direction, often annoying editing, and some good performances that keep it form being worse than it is.

D

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
I watched this a couple of weeks ago and i thought that it was one of the worst of the year.
The direction and editing were truly awful, some of the worst i have seen in a while. They were obviously going for something different, but it came off as amazingly bad. After a while i got tired of it and turned it off, i did finish it later though. I don't know what else to say beside from everything about this movie excluding Fanning is dreadful, everything.
F (i almost never give Fs, so good job Man on Fire!)

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Draughty

You guys have to be on crack :razz: :wink:

The movie is at no point great, but the first hour is at least good. Then it turns into a complete diaster. A stupid, ridiculous mess. I mean I figured it wouldn't be a great movie, but I thought maybe you can shut your brain off and it's jsut mindless entertainment. Maybe, but you REALLY have to shut your brain off for this one. IT's so been there done that that it's jsut, ugh, frustrating. Which even then I could forgive, but it's just so pointless, and...well, bad. I even saw the two major twists coming (the ones involving Tita and Samuel)(not like oh I'm sure this is gonna happen, but I kept it in the back of my mind that it was a possibility), probably because it's such a dumb film that I figured they would try to pull some ridiculous twist like that.

Denzel Washington is good, DAkota Fannning was the only thing about the film that really surprised me. She is nothing short of astonishing in every scene.

The funniest part of the movie is at the end when, after portraying Mexico city as a horrible place to be in, with horrible people, horrible everything, they have that little message about "Mexico city, a very special place" :lol:

An Awful pointless mess, with horrible direction, often annoying editing, and some good performances that keep it form being worse than it is.

D

Hear hear. I agree almost entirely.

First part was flawed but interesting.

Dakotah was incredible, should get a best supp actress nom.

The rest of it was junk.

If it had stayed with the redemption theme from the beginning, it had a chance of being something special.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

A movie I totally loved. A Masterpiece in every single way. A+++++

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

That's four more pluses than your last review :wink:

Well, I'm glad some people agree :) I'm not to surprised with all the "A" reviews since films like this always seemed to be favored...even the worst ones, which I think this is. But still...one of the best...best movie of the year? Collateral, Spider-man 2, The Bourne Supremacy...you didn't think those films were at least somewhat better? :wink:

Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Riggs wrote:

That's four more pluses than your last review :wink:

Well, I'm glad some people agree :) I'm not to surprised with all the "A" reviews since films like this always seemed to be favored...even the worst ones, which I think this is. But still...one of the best...best movie of the year? Collateral, Spider-man 2, The Bourne Supremacy...you didn't think those films were at least somewhat better? :wink:

No. ;) Man on Fire is my number one movie BY FAR. :D

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

I am sick and tired of movies where someone threatens the other to hurt him badly if he doesn't talk. Then, in this instance, he cuts his finger of. Guy talks. Guy stops talking. Another finger goes. Guy stops talking again. An Ear goes. That is pure crap. Why should anyone stop talking? He knows he is going to die and if he lives he is going to be killed by his boss anyway, no matter if he told only few things or the whole story. I can't stand it anymore. And this is employed in Man on Fire several time. This is a sadistic, dehumanising right-wing bullshit movie. But not only that, it is bad as a thriller as well. There is no suspense, you know after ten minutes (even before the kidnapping) some main guys who are behind it and Tony Scott is so in love with his time lapses, crappy editing and constant camera moving that he completely forgets about the story. The story before the kidnapping takes place is okay, one might even say good, but after Radha Mitchell says to him "Kill them all" it's all going down. D

Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:30 pm
now we know

Good movie. But had many faults, Ive bought it and am atm contemplating whether to sell it...

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:32 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Man on Fire - B

Good movie. But had many faults, Ive bought it and am atm contemplating whether to sell it...

Watch it again. :wink:

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Man on Fire - B

I'll buy it from you!

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:29 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Easily one of the better action films of the year, and one of Washington's better performances. Fanning is nothing short of spectacular and should have received a "Best Supporting Actress" nomination. The editing was rough and the film could have been shot in a different manner to allow for a more coherent style, but it is perhaps the way it was made that makes it one of the better films of 2004.

9.0/10 (A-)

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:30 am
Teh Mexican

Great performences by Denzel and Dakota!! story is alright!

im not mad at how they portray Mexico City, because thats the Truth almost everyday theres a person missing and a lot and i mean A HELL OF ALOT of cops are corrupts!

A-

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:10 am
Mod Team Leader

Man on Fire is one of the best films to come out of last year and it is truly under appreciated, in my opinion. This is an emotional film and it really tugs at your heart. Washington and Fanning have real chemistry together. Scott is frenetic with his direction and he lets loose in this film. Aand last of course is that Denzel just gets to kick some major fucking ass on the bad guys....lvoe it.

10/10

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next