Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Kung Fu Panda 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Kung Fu Panda 2 
loyalfromlondon

Post Kung Fu Panda 2
Kung Fu Panda 2

Quote:
Kung Fu Panda 2 is a 2011 3D American computer-animated action comedy film and the sequel to the 2008 film Kung Fu Panda. The cast of the original film reprised their voice roles while the new villain is voiced by Gary Oldman. The film was released on May 26, 2011 in Real D 3D and Digital 3D.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed May 25, 2011 11:23 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Kung Fu Panda 2
I was disappointed. Nothing here is equal to or better than the original.

3/5

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat May 28, 2011 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Another You

It's funnier though still on par with the first overall. Plus, this felt alot more fast-paced since there were action scenes one after another.

B+

Sun May 29, 2011 10:40 am
Devil's Advocate

This is a straight A for me. I can't imagine how to do this movie better. They pace it and mix the fight and non fight scenes perfectly. One thing I love is how quickly they set it up. They waste no time getting Shen in power and in his tower and getting Po off after him - leaving lots of time for the good stuff.

Oldman gives one of the best voice performances ever for me. He completley makes that villain considering it's a fuckin peacock.

The only thing I'd say is I wish I could see more of the Furious 5, but it'd probably slow the movie down. Cross as the Crane and Rogan as the Mantis are still brilliant though.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:52 pm
ef star star kay

Big disappointment. The plot line was way easy-to-go, typical (bad sequel) Hollywood style. The 'I have to find out about my true family' was annoying, and not a bit interesting. The villain was lame. And what were the Furious 5 for? The only funny thing about this film is how the word 'China' was constantly said/mentioned. Were they seriously thinking that the more the audience hear the word China, the more they would get the Asian-ish vibe? Well, the first one didn't have to.

C+

I changed my mind, it's C-

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:32 pm
Extraordinary

Well, I saw it.

...and despite my trepidation, Kung Fu Panda 2 turned out to be a pretty great little movie!

What a lovely headlong rush of lightly comic dark action.

And though I didn't originally write the following, I agree on the best part of all: that the entire Kung Fu Panda 2 is...

Spoiler: show

...and bunnies, I might add. Yep, it's craftily structured to reveal itself as a high parody of The Empire Strikes Back. The dark middle episode of [both] trilogies. Who can possibly wait another three years for their Return of The Jedi?!?!?

This is such an incredibly better film than it's predecessor (which I rated 2 out of 5). Kung Fu Panda 2 is terrific!!!!!

58 out of 5.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:57 pm
Superman: The Movie

Completely missing the heart the first film had. It tries with the mom/adopted dad storyline, but that felt hollow and rushed to me. As a matter of fact the film felt rushed. It's only 82 minutes. Another 10 wouldn't have hurt anyone. Maybe because it's the middle film of what's soon to be a trilogy, but the entire film felt nothing more than just a second act to me.

Still, the fights are very entertaining and it got a couple of big laughs out of me. It wasn't enough to completely save it for me though.

**½ (C+)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Very funny with lots of good voice work. Anytime it approaches being too serious it steps back into comic mode nicely. Also nice is the colorful and detailed animation, enhanced by noteworthy 3D, further evidence that Dreamworks takes the format much more seriously than Disney.

A very solid sequel, as these things go.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:21 am
Veteran

Much better than the first one. This one had a better storyline than the first one and it expands on where Po came from...something that needed to be explained to progress the story further.

Everything about this movie was superior to the first one. This one had heart, way more humour and had the right pace to everything. The 3D visuals were spectacular and the length, while short, was a breeze. The voice actors were pretty great. Everything flowed. The best of the year so far.

9.5/10

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:11 am
Forum General

Why is it so fucking short?

Dreamworks are becoming such infantile panderers.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

BK wrote:
Why is it so fucking short?

91 minutes seemed just about perfect for this film.

BK wrote:
Dreamworks are becoming such infantile panderers.

While I don't agree with you in this regard about the running time, Dreamworks insistence on 3D for all their animated projects definitely fits in the "infantile panderers" category.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:08 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Kung Fu Panda 2 has a lot of rich animation to drive it and a better emotional core, even if it has far less comedy than a usual Dreamworks Animation film which isn’t necessarily bad. Jack Black does a great job again as Po. The film seemed a lot lighter than I expected for an animated sequel. There is still a fair amount of action, but I’m surprised actually that the studio put in action scene after action scene. The film runs through the runtime well and the hint at the threequel, which I hope still happens, shows that this franchise could still live on creatively for a while. ***

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

A terribly underrated film. Animated movies almost never manage to engage me as much as live-action does, but Panda 2 did that with ease. It's fantastic from beginning to end. It's funny, really touching at times (I was close to tears during the little father/son reunion at the end) and the action couldn't be more exciting and fun. Absolutely loved the finale. The first one is good but this one is so much better. I really hope they make a third one.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:06 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Riggs wrote:
A terribly underrated film. Animated movies almost never manage to engage me as much as live-action does, but Panda 2 did that with ease. It's fantastic from beginning to end. It's funny, really touching at times (I was close to tears during the little father/son reunion at the end) and the action couldn't be more exciting and fun. Absolutely loved the finale. The first one is good but this one is so much better. I really hope they make a third one.

I agree, this is much better than the first.

They are making a third, no worries.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:11 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Saw* this at the cinema in North China. Dubbed in Mandarin. Fell Asleep.

* = attended

TBC

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I re-watched it recently and enjoyed it a lot more than originally in theaters.

B+

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

The first is better, mainly because Tai Lung is a better villain than Shen, and there was more humor. But Po's story line with his parents is great, and I can't wait to finally meet them next weekend.

A-

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:07 pm
The Kramer

Both Panda movies have held up very well. I hope the third lives up to my high expectations.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:15 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked this more than back when I watched in theaters. Its not as funny as the original but the story is good and it expands the world of KFP nicely. I liked the emotional bits of finding inner peace here and the ending is done very well. The father-son relationship in here is given great focus which I really loved. Not as great as the original but still very good. B+

Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]