Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Chronicles of Riddick 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

College Boy Z

Post The Chronicles of Riddick

Quote:
The Chronicles of Riddick is a 2004 American science fiction film. It follows the adventures of Richard B. Riddick, as he attempts to elude capture after the events depicted in the 2000 film Pitch Black, and details his meeting with Jack and Imam, his escape from the prison planet Crematoria, and his battle with the Necromonger fleet. It was directed by David Twohy, also the director of Pitch Black, and stars Vin Diesel (also co-producer), Karl Urban and Judi Dench, with Thandie Newton and Colm Feore. The critical and commercial response was mixed.

After the release of the film, The Chronicles of Riddick became the brand name of the series.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:39 pm
College Boy Z

Sure, it's flawed. But, it's a hell of a ride. The special effects are spectacular. The story was great. The ending was mind-blowing and awesome. After watching this movie again, I think it's almost tied with Pitch Black. Both movies are excellent sci/fi movies.

My Grade - A-

Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:38 pm
We had our time together

Never expected it to be that bad. Diesel definately should have done xXx 2 instead of this piece of crap. D+

Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A terrible movie. I know it's sci-fi, but the plot is very weak, and the dialog is as cheesy as it gets. I feel Vin Diesel is trying so hard to act badly and pretends to be cool. I wanted to fast-forward some parts. The only redeeming quality is toward the end. D+.

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:01 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

A train wreck of a film. Not as bad as expected, but so much worse then it could have been. Weak plot, terrible acting, even worse script. Beyond bad. Had a few redeeming qualities in that the special effects were decent. D+

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:47 pm
Hot Fuss

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

this movie is plain bad!!! everything about it its cheesy, the story, the FX, the DIALOG!! wow!

D

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:38 am
Veteran

I like the character of Riddick, but he should never be a 'messiah' in the tradition of Neo. Way too much of a Matrix rip-off and not a good one. Still, I enjoyed it at times. My grade: C+.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
I disagree with all what Zingaling said, minus maybe effects.

Awful movie. F

Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:56 pm
Hot Fuss

Oh, gawd. I watched it on an airplane and thought it was decent (see the C+).

I recently revisited it on HBO and almost barfed. I only watched the first half hour. It was terrible. Dreadful. The acting sucks, the writing was lame, and the direction was horrible. The action sequences were totally ruined by some of the worst direction since Toys.

D-

Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
---------

It felt kinda pointless and just "standard". I liked some parts though and the final scene. I will probably lower my grade for it later but for now it's a B-/B.

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:36 pm
College Boy Z

Awful movie. F

=;

Heh. After watching it a few times, I'd lower my grade to a B+/B. It's a great sci-fi flick, but the story seems dumber every time...

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:43 pm
Hot Fuss

Nebs wrote:

Awful movie. F

It's a great sci-fi flick, but the story seems dumber every time...

That's an oxymoron. Good SciFi *is* smart. [-X

Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

No doubt, great special effects and nice "technical" stuff.

The action scenes were horrible, the dialogue was horrible, the story was horrible...was there even a story?

But the technical stuff saved the movie as much as it could.

Did not like it at all!

D+

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:39 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Wow, the rare screenplay that is too ambitious!

How can you not have respect for any auteur who attempts to create a whole new mythology?

But on the way out, I overheard a fellow audience member saying: "Remember da guy who killed dat other guy?" ...and, I'm sure we were all trying to integrate the complex story as we left.

Still I believe that The Chronicles of Riddick (TCOR1) will surely be remembered for its maiden use of the coined word: Syphillization!

Unfortunately, I also predict that TCOR2 will be the best of the series rating a 5 out of 5 (with TCOR3 rating a close second at 4 out of 5) - as for this outing -- I quite liked the damned thing, but it's definitely the kind of movie that will only truly reward the devotee through repeat viewings...

3 out of 5.

(Don't forget to watch the also good low budget prequel - Pitch Black (akaTCOR0)...)

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:09 am
You must have big rats

Riddick is undoubtedly the best character Vin Diesel has ever played. Pitch Black is still my favorite movie with him as the lead and it showcases that he could make a pretty good charismatic action star if only given the right script.

This one is pretty good as a continuation. It ties itself well together with the prequel and sets up a sequel. I hope the sequel will get made because if it remains a stand-alone movie, the ending will remain way too open for its own good. Now as for the rest of the film, Diesel is his usual cool as Riddick, but doesn't have a really good counterpart here. The villains are all rather lame. The set designs are great. The art direction department did an excellent job on this one. The effects range from decent to great. Visually, it's a very rewarding movie. It has good bits of action too, but it is not enough to keep throughly entertained for two hours. The movie could have used some tighter editing. I admire their effort in trying to create a "dark" space saga, though. We don't get to see many movies of this kind anymore nowadays. Here's hoping for a sequel.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

One of the best science fiction films of all time.

And yes, I'm being completely serious.

A+

Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:43 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Last edited by Gulli on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:34 pm
You must have big rats

Interesting how the first half of the thread is just crappy D-grades and now it's all positive comments.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Interesting how the first half of the thread is just crappy D-grades and now it's all positive comments.

Indeed interesting.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:46 pm
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

I rank the Chronicles of Riddick as the 2nd worst movie of 2004, just a hair behind Connie and Carla, and it would easily be one of the 10 worst films that I've seen in the 2000's. It's absolutely horrid on so many levels, and the fact that I really liked Pitch Black made it that much harder to stomach.

The movie was tedious, and I couldn't wait for it to be over with. When it finally ended - it felt like a 5 hour movie - I remember feeling like I had the life sucked right out of me. It was the equivalent to going to the dentist and getting a root canal.

On the good side, it was better than Connie and Carla... although only slightly.

F-

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:06 pm
Mod Team Leader

I rank the Chronicles of Riddick as the 2nd worst movie of 2004, just a hair behind Connie and Carla, and it would easily be one of the 10 worst films that I've seen in the 2000's. It's absolutely horrid on so many levels, and the fact that I really liked Pitch Black made it that much harder to stomach.

The movie was tedious, and I couldn't wait for it to be over with. When it finally ended - it felt like a 5 hour movie - I remember feeling like I had the life sucked right out of me. It was the equivalent to going to the dentist and getting a root canal.

On the good side, it was better than Connie and Carla... although only slightly.

F-

(Deletes what was about to say and just points to Tony's review and plagiarises.)

F-[/

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

You've got good tastes in movies, baumer... you like Click and hate CoR! :thumbsup:

Oh, and while your Click review is great, I'm going to have to say your Chronicles of Riddick one is even better.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:18 pm
Squee

I like the character of Riddick, but did not like this movie.

The video-game was much better.

*1/2

:glare:

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:39 pm
Mod Team Leader

:lol:

You've got good tastes in movies, baumer... you like Click and hate CoR! :thumbsup:

Oh, and while your Click review is great, I'm going to have to say your Chronicles of Riddick one is even better.

Yes, the CoR review is one of my best. :tongue:

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next