Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Bridesmaids 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 27

Bridesmaids 
loyalfromlondon

Post Bridesmaids
Bridesmaids

Quote:
Bridesmaids is an upcoming American comedy directed by Paul Feig and produced by Judd Apatow, Barry Mendel, and Clayton Townsend. The plot centers on Annie (Kristen Wiig) and her experiences as a Maid of Honor in Lillian's (Maya Rudolph) wedding.

Bridesmaids was produced by Apatow Productions and will be released by Universal Pictures on May 13, 2011. This will be the final film appearance of Jill Clayburgh, whose death from leukemia in November 2010 occurred before the film was released.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu May 05, 2011 9:42 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Bridesmaids
It's pretty good. Libs is gonna lose her shit over it.

Mon May 09, 2011 6:54 pm
Forum General

I'm seeing this at the midnight showing Thursday night. CAN. NOT. WAIT. :D

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Mon May 09, 2011 8:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Kristen Wiig and Rose Byrne are hilarious in this as is McCarthy which was a surprise. The film though is too drama attached in the middle that it loses the greatness of what the first third and ending were. The back and forth between Wiig and Byrne at the engagement party and Wiig being drunk on the plane were top-notch. Though why is a film about bridesmaids so centric on the hard life of the maid of honor? I would of enjoyed it probably a little more if it was kind of a female "Hangover". I still recommend i just because of the funny parts of the first third and ending. **1/2

Wed May 11, 2011 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Because it was written by Wiig and thus, to make her the star, she must have the story centre on the herself of course.

Kind of how Rogen writes his films for him to be the star. lol at Observe and Report and Green Hornet losing money.

Sandler is another loser, except not sure he writes the films

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu May 12, 2011 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Or Clint Eastwood directing films he's in! WHAT A LOSER! He just want to be beloved by all the CUNTS and FRUITS in the world.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu May 12, 2011 7:02 pm
Forum General

Yeah, this was absolutely hysterical. Wiig is brilliant and Melissa McCarthy was really funny in it as well. It was a bit overlong but it wasn't overlong like Forgetting Sarah Marshall. That was excrutiating at times. ;)

8/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri May 13, 2011 4:28 am
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Thought it was a little uneven but I liked it a lot.

The scene with the speeches and the whole Spanish bit actually made me laugh pretty hard.

Never really found Wiig funny but she's actually pretty great in this.

Fri May 13, 2011 4:40 pm
Sbil

A riotously funny comedy with a surprisingly strong undercurrent of analyzing female relationships. I've always been a fan of Kristen Wiig, but she is truly remarkable here. This is a star turn of the highest caliber, making Annie instantly likable and proving to be an effective dramatic actress. Maya Rudolph is quite good, as is Rose Byrne. The standout of the supporting cast is the wonderful Melissa McCarthy. Just like the reviews have been saying, this is the "chick flick" that threatens to redefine the notion of the phrase. A movie made by women, starring women FOR women that has some brain cells and intelligence. A-

Fri May 13, 2011 11:38 pm
Extraordinary

Bridesmaids came so close!

...one too many heartfelt moments dragged out into serious dramatic monologues - - bring on the laughs ladies, bring on the laughs - - this movie came so freakin' close to being a top ten all-time comedy classic. Bridesmaids will just have to settle for top twenty standing.

There are scenes in this film that will make you double over from laughing, there is dialogue that will bring tears to your eyes from failing to suppress uncontrollable laughter, there are momentary revelations that will send you reeling with giddy elated joy.

I haven't laughed this much at a movie for months! Bridesmaids is hilarious.

...and, as I've declared before, I'm a Mega-Wiig fanboy from way back! Check out some of her filmography: Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, Extract, Paul, MacGruber (as Vicki St. Elmo), and the overrated Adventureland which nonetheless showcased the enormity of Kristen Wiig's talent. But Bridesmaids is her finest hour. Here she first demonstrates the fantastic range of talent she possesses and presses them to the red line. Her performance is inspired lunacy, and I mean that in the best possible way! She achieves escape velocity and never looks back. Wiig!!!

...plus, I'm not a Maya Rudolph hater like so many sadly seem to be - - nope, I know she was in the most underrated comedy of the past ten years - - Idiocracy, anyone?!

I'll tell you one thing, I would pay double the admission price to see a director's cut of Bridesmaids which was 20 minutes shorter. Or perhaps it had been cut that way already... but was determined to be too dangerous for the general public. Test audiences were passing out from lack of oxygen from convulsive mirth. So, maybe it's better they put a governor on that comic overdrive - - gave moviegoers a fighting chance to hear some of the brilliance amidst the cresting waves of ambient crowd verve.

It's certainly a must-see. Everyone who's married, getting married, or has ever or will ever attend a wedding needs to get to a screening of this STAT!

If you are in need of some therapeutic laughter - - Bridesmaids is your prescription - - see it on a busy night in a crowded theatre with a lively audience, and you will walk out of the theatre feeling like you've had a full cardio workout with an endorphin sundae on the side!

One word: funny.

1638 out of 5.

Sat May 14, 2011 1:38 am
Superman: The Movie

It's good, but it could've been better. I think the script could've used another rewrite. It's going to sound like an odd criticism, but I think there is actually a little too much story for the film's own good. The movie is 120 minutes long and while I don't think it feels that long, did the film really need three storylines? I like Jon Hamm, but were his scenes really necessary? Wiig's character's insecurity around relationships with men really could've been explained with a couple of lines explaining what happened when the store closed and how her boyfriend left her when that happened. Actually come to think of it, there are a couple of lines that explain that in the film. Maybe if it had been more clearly established, Hamm's scenes could've been cut out for more scenes featuring all six women. The film is at it's best when all six of them are together. The bridal shop and the airplane are the two funniest scenes in the movie and I think the film could've used another because there is somewhat of a lull in the middle of the film. If there was another scene it might have helped in making that lull less noticeable.

That saying the film is consistently funny, and the script despite having too much story (I guess that's a criticism? :funny:) is definitely a cut above the rest that seem to come out of the genre, because it actually has something authentic to say about women and their friendships. It also probably helped that Wiig and Rudolph are great friends in real life.

And just like any other film that has Apatow's name attached to it, I'm guessing there will be an extended cut when this comes out on Blu-ray. I'm hoping there will be a couple of more scenes with all six of the women together. As I said, when they're all together that's when the film is at it's best.

Bridesmaids has it's problems, but it's a breath of fresh air for the "chick flick" genre, especially considering it comes a week after Something Borrowed.

*** (B)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat May 14, 2011 1:48 am
Profile WWW

BK wrote:
Because it was written by Wiig and thus, to make her the star, she must have the story centre on the herself of course.

Kind of how Rogen writes his films for him to be the star. lol at Observe and Report and Green Hornet losing money.

Sandler is another loser, except not sure he writes the films

The Green Hornet made 230m WW on a 120m budget, even if it hasn't quite made all the budget back in theaters with dvd, tv, etc it easily will.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat May 14, 2011 12:33 pm
College Boy T

i liked it a lot

the scene where they get fitted for dresses is one of the funnier bits of 'potty humor' i've seen -- and hands down better than any single gross-out scene in get him to the greek, the hangover, etc

also kinda liked how the writers dealt with helen at the end (when her 'final surprise' is to get annie with the cop). it reminded me of annie and helen's first one-on-one in the movie, where they argued over people can 'really' change. the film acknowledges annie's view: helen's 'fixed' personality was that of a one-upping, materialistic bitch, but occassionally, she could use that to do good.

Sat May 14, 2011 10:49 pm
Forum General

The one thing I thought the movie did wrong was trying to get the audience to like Helen. By the end of the movie, I still hated her guts. She just did so much wrong shit that I wouldn't have liked her if she created peace throughout the world. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun May 15, 2011 12:41 am
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

After several scene-stealing supporting turns in films such as Knocked Up and Whip It (as well as being a regular Saturday Night Live cast member), Kristen Wiig is finally given a starring role in "Bridesmaids." With this film she proves that she is indeed a comedic genius. She often had me in stitches and fares quite well in some of the more dramatic scenes. Chris O'Dowd is adorable and very funny as Wiig's character's love interest. And Melissa McCarthy was an absolute riot in her supporting turn.

"Bridesmaids" is hysterical and the best comedy yet this year. It's early, but it should easily remain one of the funniest movies to come out of 2011.

9/10 (A-)

Sun May 15, 2011 3:11 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

BRIDESMAIDS - 9/10 (A-)

Uproarious and actually really touching. Kristen Wiig was absolutely fantastic, as was Melissa McCarthy. The engagement speech scene, the fitting sequence (oh my god...), the airplane sequence and the scene with the car near the end are some of the funniest things I've seen in a long, long time.

"I'm...not...me...I'm Mrs. Iglesias" :funny: :funny: :funny:

Sun May 15, 2011 10:31 am
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

It's not quite there, and doesn't redefine the Chick Flick genre, as I think its hindered by going back to the standard cliches of the Chick Flicks. If it was going to truly change the Chick Flick genre, all of the needless (Fight, fix life, make up, standard secondary romance) scenes weren't needed and it could have actually just been a normal male comedy starring women.

That being said, when its not being dragged down by its genre, it pretty hilarious at times, and some really great characters. My favorite bit was realizing the Cast Away music before they showed the Wilson scene. I started dying.

"Stove, What are you an appliance?"
"No, I'm a man, and my name is Steve"

Comedy has not disappointed this year so far, and Universal is on a role B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun May 15, 2011 2:23 pm
Wallflower

Was kind of disappointed the part in the previews where she says, "Maybe we're all pregnant. Congratulations" was not in the movie. I thought her delivery of that was so funny.

Sun May 15, 2011 4:03 pm
Wallflower

torrino wrote:

the scene where they get fitted for dresses is one of the funnier bits of 'potty humor' i've seen -- and hands down better than any single gross-out scene in get him to the greek, the hangover, etc

I agree. I'm not usually one for gross-out humor, but I was dying of laughter during this, as was the whole theater.

Sun May 15, 2011 9:09 pm
Pure Phase

I s'pose all I have to see this to see what the fuss is about.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 15, 2011 9:26 pm

It's as ridiculous (in story not character) as The Hangover, and more balanced and compelling. Same could be said for Greek and several other raunch coms, but certainly doesn't reach Knocked Up/FSM levels. I don't think it's a beautiful revolutionary piece of raunch-com for women that the world should desperately adopt now, but it's several steps up from most rom-coms both in amount of laughs and portrayal of women and female relationships.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon May 16, 2011 3:02 am
100% That Bitch

Michael A wrote:
It's as ridiculous (in story not character) as The Hangover, and more balanced and compelling. Same could be said for Greek and several other raunch coms, but certainly doesn't reach Knocked Up/FSM levels. I don't think it's a beautiful revolutionary piece of raunch-com for women that the world should desperately adopt now, but it's several steps up from most rom-coms both in amount of laughs and portrayal of women and female relationships.

why do u always try to sound as a snob]?

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon May 16, 2011 3:09 am

Mau wrote:
Michael A wrote:

why do u always try to sound as a snob]?

Why do u always sound as a idiot]?

Mon May 16, 2011 3:22 am
Wallflower

This by far surpasses the terribly unfunny Sarah Marshall.

Mon May 16, 2011 4:24 am
Devil's Advocate

Loved it. 90% as good as 40 YOV/Knocked Up. Will be in my top 10 for this year.

Thu May 19, 2011 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next