Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fast Five 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15

Fast Five 
loyalfromlondon

Post Fast Five
Fast Five

Quote:
Fast Five (also known in non-U.S. markets as Fast & Furious 5 and Fast & Furious 5: Rio Heist) is a 2011 street racing action film directed by Justin Lin. It is the fifth film in The Fast and the Furious film series and the fourth installment in terms of chronology preceded by Fast & Furious (2009). The film is also the first in the series to be released in IMAX and is set to be released on April 29, 2011 in the United States. The film has opened to generally positive reviews by early critics.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:12 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Fast Five
Nuts. Completely, utterly, stupendously nuts -- and a lot of fun. Stay through the credits for a scene that got the biggest crowd reaction of the night.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:10 am
Where will you be?

Every bit the junk food entertainment it looks like. Glossy and outrageous, but it either won't leave much of a lasting impression or worse, you may find yourself feeling guilty for enjoying it. And I kinda can't blame that camp - the one-dimensional heroes of Fast Five stage several heist sequences so bombastic they would surely kill scores of innocent civilians. No one really changes much in Fast Five - I'm a Vin Diesel apologist, but he's really given nothing to do here - and the plot is little more than a shifting of gears from 'heist' to 'chase' and back to 'heist' with nothing but a few scraps of attempted camraderie and exposition tucked in between. But holy hell if there aren't some great action morsels. Unfortunately the fight between Vin Diesel and The Rock is a bit of a letdown. Cut quickly and smashily, it is hardly worth getting pumped about. Luckily the finale is ten levels of absurd awesomeness.

It would be incredibly easy to rip this apart on the usual action movie grounds (Unrealistic! Questionable morales! What about the laws of physics?) but honestly, Fast Five moves along at a fast enough clip for the willing to forget how stupid and shallow it is.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:29 pm
Romosexual!

The Dark Shape wrote:
Nuts. Completely, utterly, stupendously nuts -- and a lot of fun. Stay through the credits for a scene that got the biggest crowd reaction of the night.

Awesome :) thx for the heads up

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:38 pm
We had our time together

Just really awesome. A-

Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:13 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Yeah, this was freakin' awesome. Rock vs. Vin Diesel was great. Actually, every line that The Rock was given was hilarious and perfect ("now give me the veggies"). All the action sequences were out of control. Aaaand the scene during the credits was great stuff.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:30 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Its easily the second best of the series after the first. A few slow parts in the middle, but an overall fun ride. That final scene (after the short credits) is a must see. The audience loved it. Not only does it bring it one more character for a cameo but also sets the scene for the next film.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:09 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I think many of the characters lines might have been written by a 5 year old....but overall a very entertaining movie.

Mon May 02, 2011 1:56 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

It's a fun but pretty flawed entry. It is the best entry since the first and I appreciate the approach the franchise took to be more "Ocean's 11"-esque. However, it did seem a lot of times like everyone had just read the script and added no emotion to their characters. Some twists didn't need to be added (such as the pregnancy element) and a couple speaking scenes extend a bit too long. The film does offer a lot of thrills especially in its last third and for that and some other car scenes it stays entertaining. However, for all its praise it is not that good and barely passes the barrier. If the end credits scene is any indication of what Fast Six will be, I already have a lot of hesitations with it. **1/2 (barely)

Mon May 02, 2011 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Fast Five (or by it's full name, Fast Five: Bloat Out! ) has some veeerrryyyyy cool scenes, set-ups, and send-offs - - but then like a deep fried turkey, it gets overstuffed and overcooked by director Justin Lin. He's clearly got the chops (mad directing skills) but doesn't got the chops (rigorous story editing) to deliver a consistent product. Will he never top the pinnacle of his directing career? Will he ever make a movie as perfect as Tokyo Drift again? My ray of hope for Lin has markedly dimmed.

And yet...

...if Fast Five had been trimmed from 130 minutes to 95 minutes it might have turned out to be the slam bam victory lap of the franchise. (Director's Short Cut DVD, anyone?)

Vin Diesel's acting is all so dang stylized... he no longer acts, he just throws iconic poses.

Paul Walker is ...well Paul Walker - - though frighteningly, he never ages.

Dwayne Johnson is just plain slummin' it. He deserves far better than this, but his leading man career has never stopped veering erratically, no matter what genre he tries. This is beneath The Rock.

All the rest of this latter day Gang of Five (all seven of them) reprising their roles from various and sundry film in the series play it just the way this kinda b-movie souffle should be whipped up. Not to mention the surprise glimpse of...
Spoiler: show
Michelle Rodriguez
...with the promise of more!

Fast Five drags.

A disappointed...

5 out of 5.

Tue May 03, 2011 1:02 am
Forum General

AW FUCK. Forgot about the credits scene.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Tue May 03, 2011 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Question, I'm going to see this tomorrow but I've never seen any of them. :P Will I still understand it?

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue May 03, 2011 11:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

movies35 wrote:
Question, I'm going to see this tomorrow but I've never seen any of them. :P Will I still understand it?

No :P.

Wed May 04, 2011 3:28 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

movies35 wrote:

For the most part, yes. I mean, all the characters have backstories that are easier to understand if you've seen the other films (specifically the first and the fourth), but this isn't the kind of franchise where it's integral to your enjoyment of the film.

I saw this last weekend and enjoyed it a lot. A definite step-up from the fourth and a pretty perfect popcorn flick. It's not amazing, and I don't understand the overwhelmingly positive critical reception for this one (it follows the exact same formula as the other films - which received negative reviews), but it's probably the best film in the franchise since the first. B

Wed May 04, 2011 11:01 am
Profile YIM
Star Trek XI

thompsoncory wrote:
I saw this last weekend and enjoyed it a lot. A definite step-up from the fourth and a pretty perfect popcorn flick. It's not amazing, and I don't understand the overwhelmingly positive critical reception for this one (it follows the exact same formula as the other films - which received negative reviews), but it's probably the best film in the franchise since the first. B

Well, the last film in particular seemed to take itself too seriously considering the nature of the series, not to mention its action sequences, save for maybe the fuel tanker heist in the beginning, were pretty lame with too much CGI, namely the underground tunnel chase. Here, there's a more fun vibe with its Ocean's Eleven dynamic, plus better and mostly non-CGI action scenes.

Wed May 04, 2011 10:52 pm
Superman: The Movie

Tries so so hard to be like one of the recent "Ocean's" films but fails miserably since every character in the film is a reprehensible piece of shit of a human being.

The action scenes are fun though.

** (C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu May 05, 2011 1:33 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

lol reprehensible piece of shit?

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu May 05, 2011 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Yeah, I'd question that. Sure, that heist SHOULD have resulted in the death of hundreds of bystanders. They did send a huge vault smashing through a bank full of people. But the film makes multiple claims that there are never any casualties, even when they make a bus full of criminals not wearing seatbelts flip over twenty times in a row.

Maybe they're reprehensible bastards in real life. But in action movie land, they're just lovable scoundrels the world doesn't understand.

Thu May 05, 2011 11:40 am
100% That Bitch

A

Really good movie, the perfect summer blockbuster.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri May 06, 2011 11:52 pm

I do have to admit that even though I wasn't a fan of the movie I thought that every scene Dwayne Johnson was in was fucking awesome. He was the only one who didn't appear to take the movie too seriously.

I don't know, maybe I'll enjoy this more on Blu-ray.

Sat May 07, 2011 3:45 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, so it probably didn't help that there were only a handful of people in my theater.

Sat May 07, 2011 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

Okay, now someone please reveals the scene after the credit?

Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 am
The Wall

JURiNG wrote:
Okay, now someone please reveals the scene after the credit?

http://moviestinger.com/

Great site for any kind of scenes during credits or post credits...

Mon May 09, 2011 8:30 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It is what it is. Which is pretty good, fast food. The first and third acts are AWESOME. My biggest problem is with the Italian Job style 2nd act. Just didn't fit the franchise for me. It also doesn't help that all that heist planning essentially amounts to zilch with how the real heist eventually goes

I have Fast and Furious as the best of the series.

Thu May 12, 2011 3:41 pm
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

The opening scene with busting out Dominic from the bus and the car theft from the train were idiotic. I was rolling my eyes as how anyone could be as dumb as that to envision those scenes.

But once those parts were over the movie completely redeemed itself. It went on in a breeze as a pretty interesting revenge/payback/pursuit/heist story. The cast was pretty good (I actually thought Dwayne would perfectly fit into this one, but I felt like he just didn't click that well with his character).

I was surprised by this entry. Definitely a small step up from Fast & Furious and just as enjoyable as The Fast and the Furious.

Sat May 14, 2011 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next