Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Soul Surfer 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Soul Surfer 
loyalfromlondon

Post Soul Surfer
Soul Surfer

Quote:
Soul Surfer is a 2011 American drama film about the life of surfer Bethany Hamilton. At the age of thirteen, Hamilton lost her arm to a shark attack. The film details the events surrounding this attack and her struggle during the aftermath. The film is directed by Sean McNamara, who based the screenplay on Hamilton's autobiography of the same name and on the filmmakers' interviews with the family. The title refers to a term coined in the 1960s to denote someone who surfs purely for pleasure, but the word soul has a double meaning as a reference to Hamilton's Christian faith, which helped her recover her surfing career after the attack. AnnaSophia Robb stars as Hamilton, and Dennis Quaid and Helen Hunt star as Hamilton's parents.

Plans for a film existed since shortly after the shark attack on Hamilton in 2003 and her subsequent recovery. After several false starts to production, McNamara was attached to direct the film. While the film is based on Hamilton's 2004 biographical book, the director and producer David Brookwell interviewed the family to learn about unpublished conflicts to include in the film. Filming took place in Hawaii in early 2010, and Robb wore a green sleeve on her arm so visual effects could be added in post-production to create the appearance of a stump. Additional filming took place in Tahiti in August 2010.

FilmDistrict, which was launched in September 2010, formed a partnership with TriStar Pictures to release Soul Surfer in theaters. The company originally anticipated releasing the film in 300 theaters, but the company was impressed enough with the final product to pursue a release in 2,000 theaters. The film was released in theaters in the United States and Canada on April 8, 2011.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Soul Surfer
Soul Surfer has some inspiration in it but it makes inspiration its only string throughout the entire runtime. The tragedy is frightening that is for sure, but the film just kept going on and on about all the hardships and trying to overcome losing an arm. There is not much time to connect to the lead as an actual person but just as someone who has this one struggle. It doesn't quite mix well the competition and the tragedy. If the surfing was a bit more on the front line, then the amount of time spent on tragedy would of been fine. The acting isn't bad but it doesn't put it quite in positive territory. **

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

My opinion is definitely biased but I thought it was pretty cheesy. Too much preaching for me.

5/10 (C-)

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:51 pm
We had our time together

Yes, it was really cheesy at times but I loved it. Robb was amazing. A-

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:34 am
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

If it wasn't for all the shirtless guys this would have been terrible.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:18 am
You must have big rats

Robb was good, but I thought the movie was mainly boring.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]