Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hall Pass 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Hall Pass 
loyalfromlondon

Post Hall Pass
Hall Pass

Quote:
Hall Pass is a 2011 comedy film produced and directed by the Farrelly brothers and co-written by them along with with Pete Jones, the writer/director of Stolen Summer. It stars Owen Wilson, Jason Sudeikis, Stephen Merchant, Jenna Fischer and Christina Applegate.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:26 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Hall Pass
Hall Pass is a step in the right direction for The Farrelly Brothers as it is fresher than such films as The Heartbreak Kid or Fever Pitch but doesn't quite hit There's Something About Mary and nowhere near Dumb and Dumber level (but that was expected). It has some very consistent humor but not as much to rank as a top comedy. Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis work well together and the film basically turns out how one would expect. For what its worth, it was a good pass of time. **1/2

Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Ehh the more I think about it, this is a 2-star film.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

{ Warning: This is an old dude's movie, man! An old couples' movie, to be more specific. Them young pups ain't gonna get a fortieth of the jokes, huh? If you're not in the target audience, go line up for another molting of The Black Swan. }

Hall Pass is insightful and uproarious.

285 out of 5.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:52 am
Extraordinary

For those on the fence about seeing the Farrelly Brothers fine new film Hall Pass, here's a couple of outside reviews:

"I've seen this film twice now, and I think it holds up to some of the Farrelly brothers' better works." - - Capone, Ain't It Cool News

"Compared to, say, your average Adam Sandler movie it's a master class in film comedy. Oh, you will laugh." - - Andrew OHehir, Salon

If you're in the target audience (ie: not a kid), treat yourself to some big laughs at a first run screening with a lively weekend night audience!

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:03 am
Sbil

A sporadically funny effort that marks a return to "form" for the Farrelly Bros., although not necessarily in terms of the number of laughs. Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis make a decent combo, although Wilson is muted and his co-star grabs more of the good lines. Speaking of muted, poor Jenna Fischer and Christina Applegate are allowed almost no opportunity to do or say anything funny. Overall, Hall Pass is a pretty average endeavor good for some big laugns sprinkled within. C+

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:11 pm
Star Trek XI

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
For those on the fence about seeing the Farrelly Brothers fine new film Hall Pass, here's a couple of outside reviews:

"I've seen this film twice now, and I think it holds up to some of the Farrelly brothers' better works." - - Capone, Ain't It Cool News

"Compared to, say, your average Adam Sandler movie it's a master class in film comedy. Oh, you will laugh." - - Andrew OHehir, Salon

If you're in the target audience (ie: not a kid), treat yourself to some big laughs at a first run screening with a lively weekend night audience!

It got a B- Cinemascore so I don't think everyone was that pleased with it.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:13 pm

Considering the content and the writers, these are two very compelling arguments for getting nowhere near this film.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:31 pm
Pure Phase

I really like the Salon critic.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:44 pm
On autopilot for the summer

After the greatness of Dumb and Dumber, the superbness of Kingpin, and ridiculousness of There's Something about Mary, the Farrelly's stopped being the push the envelope directors they started as.

Here they are at least back in the game. It's penis joke was even quite hilarious despite the penis joke already being done to death. I just wish there was more time of them actually hitting on girls. Good laughs throughout and some lines I might quote in the near future.

B+ Solid if not spectacular. Good to see Owen Wilson back in a good comedy.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:57 pm
Forum General

I just saw it with my friend and I thought it was incredibly mediocre. It didn't serve many laughs until the last half hour or so. Also, the writing wasn't that great, nor was the acting, not that I expected acting to be the strong point of the movie.

I will say this though, it wasn't boring and I really liked the basic idea of the whole hall pass thing. When I left the theater, I actually couldn't stop thinking about the idea of it. :P But yeah, it wasn't that great.

5/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
{ Warning: This is an old dude's movie, man! An old couples' movie, to be more specific. Them young pups ain't gonna get a fortieth of the jokes, huh? If you're not in the target audience, go line up for another molting of The Black Swan. }

Hall Pass is insightful and uproarious.

285 out of 5.

Totally agree. You appreciate this more if your older and especially if you are married.

I loved it, Farrely's back in fine form.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:28 am
Wallflower

I enjoyed it. It's not HILARIOUS, but it has funny moments and was certainly entertaining.

Wouldn't be surprised if several people contemplate the whole "hall pass" concept after this.

7/10 (B-)

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:15 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I absolutely hated this. A waste of so many fine comedy actors. All the characters are unlikable and it moves at a slow, unfunny and glacial pace. Definitely one of the worst from the Farrelly Brothers. D+

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:05 am
Profile YIM
College Boy Z

Yeah, this is garbage. Not even remotely funny.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:40 am
Pure Phase

thompsoncory wrote:
I absolutely hated this. A waste of so many fine comedy actors. All the characters are unlikable and it moves at a slow, unfunny and glacial pace. Definitely one of the worst from the Farrelly Brothers. D+

Slow AND glacial, eh? :P That's pretty damn slow.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:00 pm
loyalfromlondon

It's quite funny, though it has no idea about modern gender relations, and, like all the Farrelly Bros. films, seems to take place in some kind of alternate reality. The end goes totally off the rails, too.

Still, it's worth it, if only to see The Jenk playing against type as an aging ladies man.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:29 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

trixster wrote:

Still, it's worth it, if only to see The Jenk playing against type as an aging ladies man.

I loved him in this. Good to see him re-team with the Farrellys again after playing the creepy shrink in Something about Mary.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:42 am
New Server, Same X

I really enjoyed this. I laughed a bunch of times, which is most of what I can ask of a comedy. It stumbles to the finish line, as do most modern comedies, and it also wastes Jenna Fischer and Christina Applegate. And Stephen Merchant, to be honest. His best scene comes after the credits start rolling.

Still, enjoyable from the Farrellys.

***/****

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:05 am
now we know

Just a very good comedy. It hits all of the right notes, has a funny scenario, nice jovial pace, some laugh-out-loud moments, and is just a well made slice of comedic escapism for married men. I was surprised to see that it was directed by The Farrelly Brothers. Stephen Merchant's last segment (after his wife poses the option of also having a hall pass) was hilarious, and it was generally a delight to see him in the film (another surprise for me). Jason Sudeikis was awesome as always. Good film. I'd have wished for a little more raunchiness and for some hotter girls for a film that is essentially about picking up babes, but you can't have it all.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:20 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah this hits the spot. Probably more so if you are married. In going to watch this again soon.

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:58 am
now we know

I just watched this again. It's hilarious.

Best parts are; 1. when Jason Sudeikis gets the smoker girl back to the hotel room and she plasters the shower wall with shit. I was in fits of giggles. His reaction is priceless. 2. When the guys stop at the crossing and see his friend who they previously insulted in his house, Sudeikis puts up his hand and utters "Ed, Whitney ... clones". Always gets me. LOL. 3. The credits song immediately after Sudeikis says that he "fake chowed a DJ's mum". Very cool tune (not figured out what it is yet but I will know soon). 4. The Jacuzzi penis scene is great too. 5. Damn, Nicky Whelan is so hot in this movie. Shame she isn't as hot in anything else I've seen. But she is fine here.

The whole film is just funny, and the leads are especially good. This will (if it isn't already) become a comedy go-to favourite of mine for whenever I need a chuckle.

B+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

The credits song immediately after Sudeikis says that he "fake chowed a DJ's mum". Very cool tune (not figured out what it is yet but I will know soon)

"Walking on a Dream" by Empire of the Sun.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah Aussie group. It was a huge hit around 2008 I think.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:54 am
now we know

Just in case anyone else wants to enjoy it:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:11 am