Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Unknown (2011) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
B 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
C 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Unknown (2011) 
loyalfromlondon

Post Unknown (2011)
Unknown

Quote:
Unknown is a 2011 thriller film directed by Jaume Collet-Serra, starring Liam Neeson, Diane Kruger, January Jones, Aidan Quinn, Bruno Ganz, and Frank Langella. The film is based on the 2003 French novel published in English as Out of My Head, by Didier Van Cauwelaert.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:46 am
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Unknown (2011)
The movie is entertaining. Then the plot unfolds. Then it keeps unfolding. And then once you realize the reason for what's happening, it just becomes stupid. Very stupid. And then almost like a kick to the nuts, the film winds up leaving you with questions that it never bothers to answer.

Spoiler: show
CORN!

** (C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

An effectively mysterious thriller nearly undone by an implausible denouement that calls into question the plot's credibility. Although Unknown's ending is silly and not especially believable, most of what comes before helps to form an entertaining film with an intriguing mystery. Director Jaume Collet-Serra makes effective use of the Berlin locale and stages numerous exciting car chase and action sequences. Liam Neeson, although a little less badass here than his Taken character, is quite good. Diane Kruger does a good job not fading into the background as a sidekick, although January Jones can't really do much with an underwritten role. See it, be entertained, and forget it. B-

Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:10 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Libs wrote:
An effectively mysterious thriller nearly undone by an implausible denouement that calls into question the plot's credibility. Although Unknown's ending is silly and not especially believable, most of what comes before helps to form an entertaining film with an intriguing mystery. Director Jaume Collet-Serra makes effective use of the Berlin locale and stages numerous exciting car chase and action sequences. Liam Neeson, although a little less badass here than his Taken character, is quite good. Diane Kruger does a good job not fading into the background as a sidekick, although January Jones can't really do much with an underwritten role. See it, be entertained, and forget it. B-

Well if I'm supposed to forget it after seeing it, then it doesn't really sound like a very entertaining movie if I'm required to do so, right??? :-k

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:24 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

If you like Taken, you should be fine. It's basicall Total Recall meets Frantic, in a great way. Liam is not Taken Liam, as is the action but has Liam ever been bad in anything? quite solid here. In a time when Thrillers are sparse, its one of the betters. People are actually flipping on the twist, come on! Its a very grounded theory for the most part and it works. 90s thriller twists have been much more ridiculous.

Solid B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:22 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Unknown started out as a somewhat good mystery. Though when more of the mysteries began to be solved, it became a bit too ridiculous. A lot of the supporting characters (such as Frank Langella and January Jones) just seem absolutely unnecessary once many of the reveals are made. It also tried a bit too hard to be another Taken but it falls short. Liam Neeson does fine as does Diane Kruger but the final look back isn't satisfying enough. **

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I AM MARTIN HARRIS!

Solid movie.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:36 pm
loyalfromlondon

Fuck, that ending was terrible. And January Jones really cannot act - luckily she just has to be her cold, heartless self to play Betty Draper. What a waste of Bruno Ganz, too.

Liam can surely do better.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed May 25, 2011 11:40 pm

I found it interesting that the two supporting ladies were on opposite spectrums, January Jones was distinctly the worse piece of the film, Diane Kruger was easily the best. In between it was not the notion of the twist but the execution, it all seemed to just occur without any tension or significance being placed on the development, so the climax was indescribably flat. Plus the idea was kind of stupid in the first place. Riddled with plot holes and devolving into uninteresting action scenes, yea... should've taken advantage of the empty theater with my girlfriend rather than watch this whole thing.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu May 26, 2011 12:36 pm
Sbil

Michael A wrote:
should've taken advantage of the empty theater with my girlfriend rather than watch this whole thing.

.....Aren't you gay?

Thu May 26, 2011 12:51 pm

Libs wrote:
Michael A wrote:
should've taken advantage of the empty theater with my girlfriend rather than watch this whole thing.

.....Aren't you gay?

I'm bi, currently dating a woman.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat May 28, 2011 1:06 pm
ef star star kay

why I laughed at Benjamin's last post, I don't know..

Sat May 28, 2011 4:02 pm
Forum General

The plot flows, I don't get the implausibilities.

Once it starts unravelling it becomes predictable but it's still well acted and directed.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Meh. Wasn't crazy about this one. I found the outcome underwhelming.

5/10 ( C )

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:10 am
Draughty

There's nothing fresh, original or great about it but it's kind of the perfect rental. Just about right for renting with modest expectations, a watchable star vehicle that moves along competently. Liam and Kruger make it an enjoyable journey though she's a bit miscast. The rest of the parts could have been played by almost anyone, the actors didn't make much of a mark. Though I was surprised to realize after it was over that the generic looking middle aged guy was Aidan Quinn. I'm used to him looking eternally 35.

I didn't like the final twist/reveal, it made it too routine and ensured a sequel, if there is one, will not be as fun. But I did enjoy this more than Taken.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Excellent thriller! Liam Neeson was made for action thrillers. I loved the twist ending as well. Came away feeling very satisfied with the entire experience. Though I can't decide if I like January Jones or not. She plays Betty Draper in everything. Though the roles she plays don't exactly call for much more.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]