Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Heaven Can Wait (1943) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Heaven Can Wait (1943) 
loyalfromlondon

Post Heaven Can Wait (1943)
Heaven Can Wait

Quote:
Heaven Can Wait is a 1943 American comedy film produced and directed by Ernst Lubitsch. The screenplay was by Samson Raphaelson based on the play Birthday by Leslie Bush-Fekete. The music score was by Alfred Newman and the cinematography by Edward Cronjager.

The film tells the story of a man who has to prove he belongs in Hell by telling his life story. It stars Gene Tierney, Don Ameche and Charles Coburn. The supporting cast includes Marjorie Main, Laird Cregar, Spring Byington, Allyn Joslyn, Eugene Pallette, Signe Hasso and Louis Calhern.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Post Re: Heaven Can Wait (1943)
People should probably watch this movie cause it was pretty good. Never as tongue-in-cheek clever and hilarious as "to be or not to be" nor as heartfelt and beautiful as Ninotchka, it is the weakest of the three lubitsch flicks I've found. It's just a simple, witty, enthralling tale of a guy's life. I quite loved it all things told, far better than anything I've seen made in the last three years.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:41 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Gene Tierny was the beautifulest of them all! I love this film, its use of color, the life story of Henry Van Cleve contains no historic references of our real world. It's involved in its own tale and mixes the trademark Lubitsch touch. Ther cast is splendid, from the Devil to the Grandpa to the black servant of the Strables, to the little girl who takes both of Henry's beetles in the park!

Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:24 am
Profile WWW

Michael A wrote:
People should probably watch this movie cause it was pretty good. Never as tongue-in-cheek clever and hilarious as "to be or not to be" nor as heartfelt and beautiful as Ninotchka, it is the weakest of the three lubitsch flicks I've found. It's just a simple, witty, enthralling tale of a guy's life. I quite loved it all things told, far better than anything I've seen made in the last three years.

I watched this again a few weeks ago, and I was pretty off on this one. It still doesn't have the remarkably authentic, simplistic, genuine feel of Ninotchka that makes it one of my top five films ever. However I seriously underestimated it after a first view. It's absolutely gorgeous and so damn engaging. You can sink into this movie like few others. I was interrupted on the second view for twenty minutes and when I returned I was immediately back in the middle of the film. Lubistch really is a master auteur, I must see so much more of his work.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:13 pm
Forum General

Michael A wrote:
Michael A wrote:

I watched this again a few weeks ago, and I was pretty off on this one. It still doesn't have the remarkably authentic, simplistic, genuine feel of Ninotchka that makes it one of my top five films ever. However I seriously underestimated it after a first view. It's absolutely gorgeous and so damn engaging. You can sink into this movie like few others. I was interrupted on the second view for twenty minutes and when I returned I was immediately back in the middle of the film. Lubistch really is a master auteur, I must see so much more of his work.

see you can't trust your opinion till you watch a movie 3 times.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:07 pm
Indiana Jones IV

So we can't trust anything Pauline Kael wrote?

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]