Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Season of the Witch (2011) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Season of the Witch (2011) 
loyalfromlondon

Post Season of the Witch (2011)
Season of the Witch

Quote:
Season of the Witch is a 2011 American fantasy action film starring Nicolas Cage and directed by Dominic Sena. Cage stars with Ron Perlman as Teutonic Knights, who return from the Crusades to find their fatherland ruined by the Black Death. Two church elders accuse a girl (Claire Foy) of being a witch and being responsible for the destruction and command the knights to transport the girl to a monastery so the monks there can lift her curse from the land.

Development on the film began in 2000 when the spec script by screenwriter Bragi F. Schut was purchased by MGM. The project moved from MGM to Columbia Pictures to Relativity Media, where the film was finally produced by Charles Roven and Alex Gartner. Filming took place primarily in Austria, Hungary and Croatia. Season of the Witch was released on January 7, 2011 in the United States, Canada and several other territories. The film received negative reviews.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:15 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Season of the Witch
Season of the Witch, the first wide release of 2011, isn't bright at all. In fact, it is a major dud and laughably bad. Nicolas Cage is typical B-class Nicolas Cage, though at times he even puts that lower name to shame. Ron Perlman is obviously in it for the money. The visuals have some decent points but it turns into typical church/witch/exorcist movie in the end. The violence is usually laughable instead of engaging. Just bad. *

Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Season of the Witch overflowed with promise.

Unfortunately, it didn't deliver.

In the hands of a talented screenwriter and a director who know what they want, Season of the Witch could have been a full-on Austin Powers grade spoof of the historic horror genre (or HIS-HOR for short) - - you can clearly see the comedic chemistry between Nicholas Cage and Ron Perlman in the more than a few intentionally humorous moments in the existing film.

And then also I'm a sucker for a middle ages setting done up nice like it was here. Another writer and director might have used that setting for a straight gothic horror film that provided authentic chills.

Well, how about NO!

By the end, I'd already imagined a hundred different ways this could have been great, while the two existing great elements mentioned above were squandered, unspooled on the screen before me.

2 out of 5.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:47 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I expected 13 out of 5. Do it again, Bradley.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Giving this film an amazing review would be too easy for Bradley. He has to at least try to pretend that he watches all the movies he grades.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

I'd like to see a Libs review of this, considering what she thought of the similarly weird Wicker Man remake.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

It's stupid, but also fairly entertaining.

C+

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:09 am
loyalfromlondon

The best part is when Ron Perlman headbutts the demon several times and then gets turned into ash by the molten lava wings.

Unsurprisingly, it's rather terrible.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:42 pm
now we know

Post Re: Season of the Witch (2011)
Season of the Witch

Not a bad film. But nothing memorable. The demon has a voice of a black man, which was weird for a woman. I'm always interested in these old films how people like Ron Perlman get their hair cut as if with modern tools. It was perfectly trimmed. Cage played a good role in the end. He acted well.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]