Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 TRON: Legacy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

loyalfromlondon

Post TRON: Legacy

Quote:
Tron: Legacy is a 2010 American science fiction film directed by Joseph Kosinski and produced by Steven Lisberger. It is a sequel to the 1982 film Tron with Jeff Bridges reprising his roles as Kevin Flynn and CLU, while Bruce Boxleitner reprises his roles as Alan Bradley and Tron. Garrett Hedlund portrays Flynn's adult son, Sam. The other cast members include Olivia Wilde, Beau Garrett, Michael Sheen, and James Frain. The film's soundtrack was composed by the electronic music duo Daft Punk. The film grossed over $400 million worldwide.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:30 pm
Top Poster

Post Re: TRON: Legacy
As KJ's biggest Tron fanboy and promoter I'll just start this review off by saying the script/story and acting in Tron: Legacy is some of the worst of the year; there I said it and I can be honest about it. If I had to put a finger on why the story feels so cold it most likely would have to be that we are never given a reason to really care about any of the characters or the imminent threat that C.L.U. supposedly wants to carry out. For the most part we are just given enough to move from set piece to set piece so we can explore the all too brief visual feast that are the action scenes. The world is beautiful and unlike anything you have seen and presentation is flawless. The costumes and music deserve oscar noms at the very least.

After seeing the film twice now I still think it's the event of the year for anyone looking to have a good time. Just leave your intellect at home and enjoy the ride.

Presentation/Visuals: A+
Script/Acting: C
Overall: B

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:57 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Passionate Thug wrote:
As KJ's biggest Tron fanboy and promoter I'll just start this review off by saying the script/story and acting in Tron: Legacy is some of the worst of the year; there I said it and I can be honest about it. If I had to put a finger on why the story feels so cold it most likely would have to be that we are never given a reason to really care about any of the characters or the imminent threat that C.L.U. supposedly wants to carry out. For the most part we are just given enough to move from set piece to set piece so we can explore the all too brief visual feast that are the action scenes. The world is beautiful and unlike anything you have seen and presentation is flawless. The costumes and music deserve oscar noms at the very least.

After seeing the film twice now I still think it's the event of the year for anyone looking to have a good time. Just leave your intellect at home and enjoy the ride.

Agree, gave the movie a C for Fx and great Score but everything else was meh to me.

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:24 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

TRON: Legacy is a solid enough entry to continue the franchise though the weak story bring down some otherwise fantastic visuals. The story this time around is all too basic when it comes to revenge or invading to get the message across. Also, the connection seems to be stronger between Sam (Garrett Hedlund) and Quorra (Olivia Wilde) then Sam and Kevin (Jeff Bridges). The acting is alright as Wilde and Bridges do stand out at times and Hedlund never really is that much of a notice. The visuals are great and some of the actions are a great sight to look at. Also, the fact that the film didn't take the typical Disney ending gives the film some deserved props. Plus, Daft Punk does an awesome score! If the story was better though, this could of been really great. **1/2

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I very much enjoyed it and thought it asked some interesting questions about human nature, of course it failed to deliver much of an answer to such questions. It was also kind of beautiful. Daft Punk was awesome and I liked their cameo. I thought Olivia Wilde gave a good performance with her quirky character and she also looked fantastic. Finally, Jeff Bridges seemed to be playing "The Dude."

B+

Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Passionate Thug wrote:

I don't remember if I saw all of the first or just some parts.

So do you need to have seen the first Tron movie before seing this one?

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:41 pm
Where will you be?

As a $200 miillion light show choregoraphed to a badass Daft Punk soundtrack, this was awesome! Erase the notion of 'the story doesn't make sense' or 'the dialogue is cheesy.' You can still see Tron this way (or in lame-o 2D for that matter) at your own cynical peril. This was an awesome theme park ride that occasionally tries to be something more.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:48 pm
problem?

Resident Evil: Afterlife had better 3D. And tbh, was more exciting and fun to watch.

Wtf wuz this movie, ya'll? Ya it looked good. But like it wuz hard. Darkness, some lights on the floor, and CGI. Whoop-dee-doo. But ya, it did look good. But we've had so many "visual feast" movies that the whole "but OMG it's suppose to look AMAZEBALLZ!" thing isn't really a selling point anymore in 2010, and doesn't save this film. This movie just felt so whocurr? from beginning to end. If they did something, or like anything, with the story, then okay. But they didn't.

It wasn't horrible, but it's one of those movahs trying so hurd to be epic shizz, with the Inception BWAH noise, but by the end you're just kind like, "*sturr* That all you got, gorl?"

ImageImage out of Image

I should've given my boyfriend a blowjob instead.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:24 pm
Another You

I like this a lot, mainly thanks to the incredible visuals/production design/music and of course the eye-candy that was Olivia Wilde. What prevents it from being amazing though, is that none of the characters or any part of the story were memorable enough. IMO, it had the same problems as Avatar (which is still easily a better film) where the visuals come out in full force but don't deliver 100% in the emotional aspect.

B+

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:26 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Magnus wrote:
2001 wrote:
and of course the eye-candy that was Olivia Wilde.

Actually, I felt they did a horrible job with making her eye-candy. She's extremely hot in real life but barely looked it in the film.

well... it is Disney.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Another You

Magnus wrote:
She's extremely hot in real life but barely looked it in the film.

Heh, maybe it's just me but I think she's a lot hotter in the film.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:38 pm
problem?

The other chick was way hotter. Way, way hotter.

And so wuz the dewd. Mmm-mmm. Even Jeff Bridges sort of came off Grandpa-I'd-Like-2-Fuq.

And omg, sad. I downloaded the soundtrak off Mediafire, and wow. It is pretty good techno futuristic throwback to 1980s pop.
The soundtrack is better than this entire movie.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:38 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Magnus wrote:
Korrgan wrote:
The other chick was way hotter. Way, way hotter.

And so wuz the dewd. Mmm-mmm. Even Jeff Bridges sort of came off Grandpa-I'd-Like-2-Fuq.

And omg, sad. I downloaded the soundtrak off Mediafire, and wow. It is pretty good techno futuristic throwback to 1980s pop.
The soundtrack is better than this entire movie.

All of this is true.

I liked how they threw a little tribute to Journey during the arcade scene since they did the original soundtrack for the first film

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:44 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Walter (later Wendy) Carlos did the soundtrack for the first movie. Journey just contributed with two songs.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:19 pm

My friend, who is a very average movie-goer (and very average 19 year old girl) commented that she had mixed feelings but she thought it was poorly written. The problem is that the silly, loosely connected seemingly improvised series of events that compose the "plot" is given a lot of focus while the visuals and action take a back seat. Had these positions been reversed it actually would have been greatly improved, though still only okay.
3/10or*orD+or1.5/5

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:37 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Michael A wrote:
My friend, who is a very average movie-goer (and very average 19 year old girl) commented that she had mixed feelings but she thought it was poorly written. The problem is that the silly, loosely connected seemingly improvised series of events that compose the "plot" is given a lot of focus while the visuals and action take a back seat. Had these positions been reversed it actually would have been greatly improved, though still only okay.
3/10or*orD+or1.5/5

Is this your friend's review or your own? I cannot fathom how you or your friend believe that the movie focused too much on the plot and not the visuals while at the same time pointing out the the plot was "loosely connected" and "seemingly improvised" and by placing quotations around the word "plot." Mostly these those were incoherent or at best inchoate thoughts.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:07 pm
Profile WWW

Caius wrote:
Michael A wrote:
3/10or*orD+or1.5/5

Is this your friend's review or your own? I cannot fathom how you or your friend believe that the movie focused too much on the plot and not the visuals while at the same time pointing out the the plot was "loosely connected" and "seemingly improvised" and by placing quotations around the word "plot." Mostly these those were incoherent or at best inchoate thoughts.

The first comment was my friend's the rest are my thoughts. I attribute this odd duality to awful writing. It is not impossible to spend an entire film focusing on one aspect and have that aspect still turn out very underdeveloped, which is essentially what happened here. The movie places most of its time and emphasis on the story, but due to terrible writing, it is never fleshed out or well established. It feels more like the story-telling in a very cutting edge video game than that of a real movie, which would have worked better if there were as many fight scenes and cool images as there are in video games.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:22 pm
Speed Racer

Incoherent?
I don't think so!
The plot is real easy to understand, therefore the story, yes, is really unusual and incoherent, but incoherent with our trivial world. Try not to compare, just enjoy the grid world, and voilá, you will like it!

Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

O M G!!!

It's much much much boring than it looked!

It's D territory

Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:58 pm

danyari wrote:
Incoherent?
I don't think so!
The plot is real easy to understand, therefore the story, yes, is really unusual and incoherent, but incoherent with our trivial world. Try not to compare, just enjoy the grid world, and voilá, you will like it!

Yeah, just don't think about it, or compare it to anything, or analyze it, or you know, use your brain in any way other than a series of sensory receptors and you'll love it! To me, that is the ultimate insult to any piece of art. Visual, auditory, and other stimulations are very relevant in art, Starry Night is beautiful to look at, T.S. Elliot creates wonderful imagery, but if they do not extend beyond sensations and penetrate perception, they are worthless. This movie was an insult to intellect of any kind, as are so many modern movies, so I'd prefer not to turn off my brain and "just enjoy it."

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:12 pm
Speed Racer

Michael A wrote:
danyari wrote:
Incoherent?
I don't think so!

Yeah, just don't think about it, or compare it to anything, or analyze it, or you know, use your brain in any way other than a series of sensory receptors and you'll love it! To me, that is the ultimate insult to any piece of art. Visual, auditory, and other stimulations are very relevant in art, Starry Night is beautiful to look at, T.S. Elliot creates wonderful imagery, but if they do not extend beyond sensations and penetrate perception, they are worthless. This movie was an insult to intellect of any kind, as are so many modern movies, so I'd prefer not to turn off my brain and "just enjoy it."

Well, what can I say, you are right! What is wrong inside the perception of somebodies mind?
I'm not a critic maniac and I'm not a mindless idiot, I just enjoy them a lot!
For me, the movie was good enough... it is not Inception and it is not Skyline, it is something like Tron!
Cheers!

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

Don't understand why people complain that much, this movie was a great expirience, the plot was unusual and simple, but enjoyable, it also has many factors that connect it with the first Tron, I have to recognize that to like and be delighted by TL, people should see the first Tron in order to associate the events, overall, one of the best sci-fi movies ever, hoping and rooting for a sequel

Go Tron !!!

A

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:47 pm
Forum General

This was awful, simply awful. It was boring and incredibly cheesy and dumb. And don't bother seeing it in 3D, it's pointless as most of it is filmed in 2D.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
problem?

Why was this filmed in 2D? I know they filmed this in like, early/mid 2009 or somethang cuz it needed tonz of post-prodush, but geez. They couldn't get tha fancy camera from Jimmy?

They fucking gave it to Resident Evil 4. Which was way more fun than this piece of shit, and had srs guud 3D.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:49 pm
Extraordinary

Pretty excellent. It's a fun ride.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:43 am
Profile WWW