Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Bridget Jones's Diary 

What grade would you give this film?
A 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Bridget Jones's Diary 
College Boy Z

Post Bridget Jones's Diary
Bridget Jones's Diary

Quote:
Bridget Jones's Diary is a 2001 British romantic comedy film based on Helen Fielding's novel of the same name. The adaptation stars Renée Zellweger as Bridget, Hugh Grant as the caddish Daniel Cleaver, and Colin Firth as Bridget's "true love", Mark Darcy. A sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, was released in 2004.

Actresses who were considered for the role of Bridget Jones were Helena Bonham Carter, Emily Watson, Rachel Weisz, and Cameron Diaz. Toni Collette declined the role because she was on Broadway starring in The Wild Party at the time, and Kate Winslet was considered but the producers decided she was too young.

Before the film was released, a considerable amount of controversy surrounded the casting of the American Zellweger as what some saw as a quintessentially British heroine. However, her performance is widely considered to be of a high standard, including her English accent.

The director of the film, Sharon Maguire, is one of Fielding's friends whom the character of "Shazzer" was reportedly based on. In the film, "Shazzer" was played by Sally Phillips.

Renée Zellweger was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in the film.

Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:18 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Lecter's already wanting to pounce on me after I told him what I thought, so I don't know if I can take the teasing by giving my review of this one. #-o :oops:

Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:33 pm
We had our time together

This is the movie that made me hate Renee Zellweeger. She's sooooo overacting in this one and annoying. The Fight between Grant and Firth is pretty funny though. D

Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Lecter's already wanting to pounce on me after I told him what I thought, so I don't know if I can take the teasing by giving my review of this one. #-o :oops:

You are officially exlcuded from the male world now.

[-X

Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Maverikk wrote:

You are officially exlcuded from the male world now.

[-X

8-[ I can't help it, I liked it. (more than you know :oops: )

Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:40 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Bridget Jones's Diary is the story of a girl of the same name *rimshot* who is played brilliantly by a very English accent speaking Renee Zelwegger. (I also thought she looked very cute, and don't understand why such a big deal was made out of her gaining weight for the role, as it looked very natural and healthy) Bridget is a 32/33 year old, who feels that she'll never find true love, and doesn't want to become a lonely old spinster. It always strikes me as sad when I see such a wonderful girl either alone or with somebody that doesn't appreciate how wonderful they are, and Bridget goes from one extreme to the other, as she finally hooks up with Hugh Grant, who's a bit of a womanizing playboy.

Also in the picture, is Mark Darcy, played by Colin Firth, who knew Bridget from as far back as childhood, but wasn't interested in her at all romantically , and is even pretty rude to her, and not friendly. Somewhere along the way, he recognizes that he does have a strong attraction to her, and genuinely likes her as a person. He even tells her as much, as they seem to run into eachother everywhere they go. Sometimes, the perfect one is right in front of your eyes, even when you never realized it sooner.

The funniest part, besides the fight between Grant and Firth (girls fight better :laugh: ) , was the line Bridget gives when she quits her job. I can't believe Daniel had the guts to show up on her birthday with a bottle of wine trying to win her back after she told him that. :-s :razz:

Now matter what Lecter, or any of the rest of you guys think, I felt this was a great movie, and a great study on relationships , and perfectly captured dealing with certain aspects of relationships as you start getting a little older and become more reflective of what life has to offer. The performances where all top notch, and I'd swear Renee was an English girl. She really was that convincing. Hugh Grant played a great slimeball who didn't know what he had and lost it, and Colin Firth was also great, as the very flawed, yet very decent Mark, who realized that he does have flaws, and wasn't above trying to fix them and work on himself. The new diary scene at the end was a little touching.

A

Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:37 am
You must have big rats

Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Draughty

I liked it too, I found it to be one of the most watchable and enjoyable of this kind of film that I've seen in a long time. It seems like the movie caught Grant, Zellweger and Firth all at their height of being appealing. As far as Romcoms go, I think it is a modern classic.

Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

It was decent, but nothing amazing. All good performances, decent but not amazing entertainment. But you're right Mav, I don't know why people made a big deal about Renee Zellwegger's weight, she looks best like this and pre yo-yo weight (See Jerry Maguire)

Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:48 pm
You must have big rats

Bridget Jones's Diary follows the story of a British woman in her 30s trying to improve her several imperfection and finding a man for her life. The title role is played by Renee Zellweger and that pretty good, even though not Oscar-worthy, in my opinion. This movie is one of the very very very few that simply could not connect with me because of the subject matter with which I could neither identify myself a single bit nor did the movie hit any emotional notes for me. I don't think the movie is "bad" in the traditional sense of the word, but for me it just was not good. I can imagine why women would like this one a lot, though. Hugh Grant gave a very enjoyable performance as the sleazy Daniel Cleaver and Colin Firth was pretty good too. The fight between the two was probably the best scene in the entire movie. Other than that, it seemd like a run-off-the-mill chick flick to me.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:12 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I'm with Mav on this one. Very enjoyable, if predictable. Then again since most films in this genre fall under that catergory what more could be expected?

The entire cast gave great performances and the story was very well written. One of my favorite rom-coms of all time. A

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:33 am
Sbil

I'm rereading the book (one of my favorites) and am reminded of how much I loved this movie. Renee Zellweger was so great.

A

Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:42 pm
Devil's Advocate

Zellwegger was good and all, but the movie wasn't anything special to me.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:38 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Such a fantastic film. Predictable? Yes! But it was just too hilarious. Just re-watched, and will re-watch again and again and again.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:12 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Never expected to like this movie but I did. The comedy elements are well done and Zellwegger was the perfect choice for the main role.

B+

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:59 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

An absolute delight. Renee Zellweger is pitch-perfect, delivering a career-best performance.

9/10 (A)

Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:50 pm
Profile YIM
Some days I'm a super bitch

Almost perfect for what it is. Zellweger gives it her all and nails it.

A-

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Looks like Mav was in the majority all along. Heh.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:24 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: Bridget Jones's Diary
I remember renting this when it was first released on video and I thought it was merely "good" but nothing special. Then the second came out on DVD and to my surprise I loved it. Decided to watch the first again and ended up loving it! It was way better than I initially thought. I've come to find it to be a romantic comedy classic. Zellweger is just fantastic and the character of Bridget Jones is so relatable. A really charming film.

9/10 (A)

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:47 pm
now we know

Well, it's a fantastic and hilarious film. No wonder there was such a hype around it back in 2001. It's got one the best scripts I've seen for a British rom-com, and the characters are rich despite appearing shallow. I was fully engrossed within about 3 minutes after the film started. A really special gem, and I cannot wait to watch The Edge of Reason.

Zellweger's acting is bad, but it's not a negative point. It totally adds to her charm and ditzy personality. I loved it. Oh, and the music is sensational. Lots of 90s classics.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]