Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Due Date 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Due Date 
loyalfromlondon

Post Due Date
Due Date

Quote:
Due Date is a 2010 American comedy road film directed by Todd Phillips, co-written by Alan R. Cohen, Alan Freedland, and Adam Sztykiel, and starring Robert Downey, Jr. and Zach Galifianakis. The film was released on November 5, 2010. The film was shot in Las Cruces, New Mexico and Atlanta, Georgia.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:53 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Due Date
B-

Pretty okay. A few big laughs (many of which are in the trailers), but I couldn't get over how much of an unreasonable dick Robert Downey Jr. is for most of the film. He's profoundly unlikable.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:09 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Todd Phillips has brought out some good hits in his time in the director chair. Old School is his best so far with The Hangover and even Starsky & Hutch not being too shabby. His latest outing, Due Date, however just does not fit his usual charm and falls just shy of getting a positive mark. Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis have fine enough friendship on screen but this film seems to show that Galifianakis is not as strong on his own or in such a large leading role. He works much better in ensembles such as with The Hangover, Dinner for Schmucks, or even It's Kind of a Funny Story. A lot of the jokes given to Galifianakis feel too desperate and are just sitting there waiting for laughs from the audience. There are a few of the jokes that do work well and are fairly funny. The rest of the film though can drag and not even let the laugh out loud moments keep the film in the positive range. Robert Downey Jr. is the best out of the two leading men but his character goes through too many odd obstacles and scenarios that when you think they are all done, another one has to come up in its way. There is also a recurring storyline with Galifianakis' character's addiction to marijuana being used for "medical" terms. It was funny the first time, but not the numerous times afterwards. The Mexico scene later on also totally loses the film's realism it was building up. Sure, a lot of the stuff earlier on is not everyday events but they were done at least realistically. The Mexico scene however is so out of the blue and just doesn't fit in well. The film does find some time for heart especially with Galifianakis' character still terribly saddened by the recent loss of it's father. These more dramatic parts help the film out a bit. The potential was here for this film and it had a lot going for it with its director, cast, and more but it just fell flat overall. Plus, a downside of this film also is that now more people will tune back into Two and a Half Men because of the numerous references in the film. Ugh. **

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Due Date is, as its advertising suggested, Planes, Trains & Automobiles meets The Hangover. The film, directed by Todd Phillips (whose previous credits include the aforementioned The Hangover, as well as Old School and Starsky & Hutch), opens in Atlanta. Robert Downey Jr. is Peter, a high-strung, Type-A architect with a Bluetooth in his ear and a pregnant wife (Michelle Monaghan) at home in Los Angeles. "Hangover" veteran Zach Galifianakis is Ethan, a sweet, but often imbecilic (and at times destructive) aspiring actor. After a series of unfortunate events, Peter and Ethan are forced to drive from Georgia to California together--a trip which becomes equal parts hilarious, psychedelic, violent, and, of course, redemptive for both men.

The main reason to see Due Date is, without a doubt, the cast. Downey is in top form. This is yet another variation on the performance he gave in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Iron Man, and Sherlock Holmes, but he pushes it in new, brave, and wild-eyed directions. He plays Peter not as an adorable curmudgeon, but as an acerbic, brutish a-hole of the highest order--his performance is a mean-spirited delight. Galifianakis is also good. One could say he's just reprised the now-beloved character of Alan from The Hangover, and I would be hard pressed to disagree, but he delivers the laughs, so I didn't mind. Due Date 100 percent belongs to the central duo. Other notable actors--including Monaghan, Jamie Foxx, Juliette Lewis, and hip hop icon RZA--are seen, but their roles are small. Lewis is the best of the ensemble; she seems to have genuine fun as Ethan's medical marijuana dealer.

Behind the camera, Todd Phillips (who is also credited as a co-writer) is in his comfort zone. It's hard not see Due Date as The Hangover's spiritual sibling. In her scenes, Michelle Monaghan might as well be reciting the same lines as Sasha Barrese in The Hangover (as the bride whose groom has gone missing in Vegas), and both films end with a man coming to an important event beaten, bloodied, burned, etc., except this time it's a birth instead of a wedding.

With Due Date, I'm not sure Phillips ever quite nails the desired tone. He comes close, but the blend of the vicious and, in the third act, the sentimental just isn't spot-on. The feeling this is a small, for-the-jugular R-rated "dude" comedy trying hard to also be suitable as a mainstream, feel-good fall hit rears its head now and then. The final scene, for example, feels so removed from the on-the-road adventure which comprises most of the film.

Overall, though, with a pair of winning comic performances, it's not difficult to recommend Due Date. It will be of particular interest to those who have a special fondness for Downey and/or Galifianakis' usual routines.

--in the B/B+ range

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:29 am
Forum General

The Dark Shape wrote:
B-

Pretty okay. A few big laughs (many of which are in the trailers), but I couldn't get over how much of an unreasonable dick Robert Downey Jr. is for most of the film. He's profoundly unlikable.

Think there was suppose to be a contrast just like in PTA with Steve Martin and John Candy, which this movie is basically copied from with small changes.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:31 am
Forum General

jmovies wrote:
Todd Phillips has brought out some good hits in his time in the director chair. Old School is his best so far with The Hangover and even Starsky & Hutch not being too shabby. His latest outing, Due Date, however just does not fit his usual charm and falls just shy of getting a positive mark. Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis have fine enough friendship on screen but this film seems to show that Galifianakis is not as strong on his own or in such a large leading role. He works much better in ensembles such as with The Hangover, Dinner for Schmucks, or even It's Kind of a Funny Story. A lot of the jokes given to Galifianakis feel too desperate and are just sitting there waiting for laughs from the audience. There are a few of the jokes that do work well and are fairly funny. The rest of the film though can drag and not even let the laugh out loud moments keep the film in the positive range. Robert Downey Jr. is the best out of the two leading men but his character goes through too many odd obstacles and scenarios that when you think they are all done, another one has to come up in its way. There is also a recurring storyline with Galifianakis' character's addiction to marijuana being used for "medical" terms. It was funny the first time, but not the numerous times afterwards. The Mexico scene later on also totally loses the film's realism it was building up. Sure, a lot of the stuff earlier on is not everyday events but they were done at least realistically. The Mexico scene however is so out of the blue and just doesn't fit in well. The film does find some time for heart especially with Galifianakis' character still terribly saddened by the recent loss of it's father. These more dramatic parts help the film out a bit. The potential was here for this film and it had a lot going for it with its director, cast, and more but it just fell flat overall. Plus, a downside of this film also is that now more people will tune back into Two and a Half Men because of the numerous references in the film. Ugh. **

First 2.5 Men doesn't need help getting viewers as it is doing great in viewers and also quality since dumping Charlie's ball and chain.

And IMO all of the pot scenes were great (and you didn't like any of them after the 1st one????? Whatever )

But buying the pot in that house - with what happened in both rooms was very funny. Then the scene in the car was very funny with all 3 getting stones and leading up to Mexico. And the the pot jokes on 2.5 Men were funny.

Come to think of it, this repeated jokes a couple of times like also the bathroom joke. Which also was funny twice.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:42 am
---------

I laughed a lot. They were the perfect duo. To Dark Shape, I didn't really see how unreasonable Downey was, but I could see being a dick. You can't say he wasn't pushed to the breaking point. I mean, who WOULDN'T think or even attempt to leave Zach after their night spend in the car (which was probably one of the funniest scenes in the movie).

B+

"Dad, you were like a father to me."

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:17 am
Extraordinary

Downey's a dick from his introduction -- he's unlikable long before he gets really pushed by Galifianikis. Martin in PTA isn't awful by nature.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:32 am
Forum General

Also, talk about a plot gap. After being detained on the Mexican US border. They escape in a jail break.

So doesn't the US have border police on the US side. And then run 3 Mexican police cars off the road and drive the stolen Mexican police car from the Mexican border to the Grand Canyon to Hollywood.

And Downey gets shot pretty bad but doesn't die in the 500 Mile drive home.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:45 pm
Superman: The Movie

It's funny, but I can't remember the last time a film was supposed to have likable characters and wound up with every single one of them being assholes. I'm not sure if it was written that way, or if it was a wrong call in tone, but the wife is the only "nice" person in the film. Now that wouldn't be a problem if this wasn't a road movie, except of course it is. Downey Jr.'s character is a dick from the very beginning and learns nothing in the end, and Galifianakis' character...is he retarted? Is there any reasonable explanation as to why he hangs on to the wallet? He didn't want to go across the country alone? Then why buy a plane ticket in the first place? At that point the screenwriter's should've just had him break the fourth wall and say something along the lines of, "Yeah, I might not have wanted to travel across the country alone, but lets be honest, if I didn't hold on to your wallet there wouldn't be a film." Actually, is there any reason why he had to reveal the wallet? Why couldn't have it been left on the plane? At that point they basically sold out the Galifianakis and made him instantly repulsive. And that's the big difference between Due Date and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, the film Due Date desperately wants to be. Except Candy's character in that film is lovable, but just unlucky. Martin starts out despising him because of that luck, but never flat out hates him, and he's never quite the asshole that Downey is. And that's why PTA is a better film. Due Date has plenty of laughs, but no heart.

**½ (C+)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Sorry but there is a big difference between a 3 hour plane ride and a 3 day car ride alone, especially when depressed.

And he picked up the wallet as a normal action...but then probably decided to just not give it back.

And since they became friends both Downey and Zack wanted to confess to clear their thoughts, about their new found friend.

And Zach was just naive. And innocent from being from a small town.

Also films like this need contrast, since if both were likable... That would be pretty boring for the audience.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:55 pm

Grill wrote:
Sorry but there is a big difference between a 3 hour plane ride and a 3 day car ride alone, especially when depressed.

Don't pack pot and don't get on the "no fly" list. That's another thing I found odd with Zach's character. The only consequence that comes from his actions of naivety/stupidity sets the film in motion. After that he does horrible things and nothing happens to him.

Quote:
And he picked up the wallet as a normal action...but then probably decided to just not give it back.

We know that. He says it. Not giving it back to him immediately when it could've paid for their motel, new rental car, etc. because he was lonely isn't a good enough excuse. It was a cop out by the screenwriters because they wouldn't have had a movie otherwise.

Quote:
And since they became friends both Downey and Zack wanted to confess to clear their thoughts, about their new found friend.

That doesn't change either character. Both wind up becoming complete assholes. There was no sensible reason for what Zach's character did. If he was being malicious to Downey that'd be one thing, but everything he did also impacted him.

Quote:
And Zach was just naive. And innocent from being from a small town.

There's a difference between naive and dense. The movie has no idea what side it falls on when it comes to Zach's character, and having Downey being a complete asshole for the entire film wasn't the right idea.

Quote:
Also films like this need contrast, since if both were likable... That would be pretty boring for the audience.

So don't have Zach pick up the wallet on the plane and keep it from him. That way Downey would be the asshole while Zach would still be likable. There is no logical reason given as to why Zach would do that to Downey, except that if he didn't there wouldn't be a film.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I disagree on the wallet. Picking it up was the normal thing to do. As he was a good person.

And I still think that his reasons for not giving back the wallet were valid. He didn't want to be left alone.

And he was naive. Even when asked how were they going to get there on 40. He was like, don't worry, it will be OK.

And he was honorable and innocent not to use anything in the wallet.

And he didn't think he was bring pot on the plane. He thought it was allowed medical marijuana.

And Downey wasn't a dick through the whole movie. He didn't have to come back, he could have thrown the ashes over the bridge himself, he was nice at the Grand Canyon when he told the guy to toss the ashes, he accepted the guy as an OK friend at the end - even putting the guy into his phone. And they had spoken before as he knew the guy got the TV role.

And big deal Downey was harsher than Steve Martin. As it is 2010, not the 1980s .. And who wants to see the same movie remade.

That is just some starters as I am watching the Giants.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:39 pm

Grill wrote:
I disagree on the wallet. Picking it up was the normal thing to do. As he was a good person.

I don't have a problem with him picking it up. I have a problem that it was written into the script.

Quote:
And I still think that his reasons for not giving back the wallet were valid. He didn't want to be left alone.

He wouldn't have been left alone if he had given back the wallet at the beginning. Their trip would've been much easier...which is why I think it was a cop out by the screenwriters. They don't have a story if Downey gets the wallet back. But it could've been solved by not having Zach pick up the wallet in the first place (he didn't have a chance to, he didn't see it, etc.)

Quote:
And he was naive. Even when asked how were they going to get there on 40. He was like, don't worry, it will be OK.

That's not being naive.

Quote:

True.

Quote:
And he didn't think he was bring pot on the plane. He thought it was allowed medical marijuana.

He knew what he was doing. He would've cleared it by saying it was for medicinal purposes, before flying.

Quote:
And Downey wasn't a dick through the whole movie. He didn't have to come back, he could have thrown the ashes over the bridge himself, he was nice at the Grand Canyon when he told the guy to toss the ashes, he accepted the guy as an OK friend at the end - even putting the guy into his phone. And they had spoken before as he knew the guy got the TV role.

He displayed signs of humanity. That doesn't make him any less of a dick. And the only reason why he was a friend with him at the end was because that's what the script called for. No one would've been friends with him at the end in real life, especially taking into account the wallet.

Quote:
And big deal Downey was harsher than Steve Martin. As it is 2010, not the 1980s .. And who wants to see the same movie remade.

That wasn't my point. My point is that PTA is a superior movie because Hughes did a better job handling the characters than Phillips did.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Jmart wrote:
Grill wrote:

I don't have a problem with him picking it up. I have a problem that it was written into the script.

* Whatever. We disagree. And FYI, a similar thing happened in PTA ... When they switched credit cards, now that I think of it.

Quote:

He wouldn't have been left alone if he had given back the wallet at the beginning. Their trip would've been much easier...which is why I think it was a cop out by the screenwriters. They don't have a story if Downey gets the wallet back. But it could've been solved by not having Zach pick up the wallet in the first place (he didn't have a chance to, he didn't see it, etc.)

* Yes he would have been left alone as Downey would have rented his own car.

Quote:

That's not being naive.

* Yes it is. It is small town thinking. Just like he spent 200 of 260 on the pot.

Quote:

True.

Quote:

He knew what he was doing. He would've cleared it by saying it was for medicinal purposes, before flying.

* Wrong, he innocently didn't think of it. (Which played into the bag being mistakenly excahnged) and also Just like his comments on the plane. And asking Downey to stop texting.

Quote:

He displayed signs of humanity. That doesn't make him any less of a dick. And the only reason why he was a friend with him at the end was because that's what the script called for. No one would've been friends with him at the end in real life, especially taking into account the wallet.

* If it was a true dick, he wouldn't have done any of that.

Quote:

That wasn't my point. My point is that PTA is a superior movie because Hughes did a better job handling the characters than Phillips did.

* PTA was better but this was good as a different movie.

*** Other comments above.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Grill wrote:
* Whatever. We disagree. And FYI, a similar thing happened in PTA ... When they switched credit cards, now that I think of it.

If they did, it wasn't done by Candy maliciously to hold them up.

Quote:
* Yes he would have been left alone as Downey would have rented his own car.

Downey would've rented his own car after they were already on the road? When I say the beginning, I mean when they first try to rent a motel room.

Quote:
* Yes it is. It is small town thinking. Just like he spent 200 of 260 on the pot.

No, that's irresponsible thinking. Small towns have nothing to do with it. You don't spend $200 on pot if you're going on a cross country trip and can't afford it.

Quote:
* Wrong, he innocently didn't think of it. (Which played into the bag being mistakenly excahnged) and also Just like his comments on the plane. And asking Downey to stop texting.

Who over the age of 13 thinks it's okay to bring pot on airplane without prior consent?

Quote:
* If it was a true dick, he wouldn't have done any of that.

What constitutes a "true dick"? :funny: He acts like a dick through most of the movie, but when he shows signs of brief humanity that gets him off the hook? My guess is that it's just sloppy screenwriting.

Quote:
* PTA was better but this was good as a different movie.

It's not a road trip/buddy movie?

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Sorry. But you are reading into something that isn't there... He is played up as innocent and naive - not mean spirited at all.

* The comments on the plane.

* The masturbating in the front sleep to get to sleep.

* The thinking he could get there on 60.

* Thinking the can was still vacuum sealed.

* Thinking the Mafia wrote the Godfather Speech.

* Running Away from the Mexican Police.

* Breaking Him out of the Mexican Jail

* The Perm

* Forgetting to go to the Bathroom Twice.

Etc etc etc. Just innocent and Naive. And Downey was Rigid in his ways, he wasn't a dick. Look at that with the kids - the tie, getting hit in the face. He said stop it. And on the plane, he nicely tried to tell the guy not to say those words. Etc etc etc.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Grill wrote:
Sorry. But you are reading into something that isn't there... He is played up as innocent and naive - not mean spirited at all.

I'm saying he's played up as being mean spirited. What I'm saying is that through his actions, and whether or not the filmmakers realized it as they were making the movie, that's how he wound up.

Quote:
* The masturbating in the front sleep to get to sleep.

Creepy.

Quote:
* The thinking he could get there on 60.

* Thinking the can was still vacuum sealed.

* Thinking the Mafia wrote the Godfather Speech.

* Running Away from the Mexican Police.

* Breaking Him out of the Mexican Jail

Stupidity. And if it weren't for his stupidity they could've avoided the last two.

Quote:
* The Perm

* Forgetting to go to the Bathroom Twice.

These two I can buy as being innocent and naive.

Quote:
Etc etc etc. Just innocent and Naive. And Downey was Rigid in his ways, he wasn't a dick. Look at that with the kids - the tie, getting hit in the face. He said stop it. And on the plane, he nicely tried to tell the guy not to say those words. Etc etc etc.

And then he punched the kid in the stomach. That's being a dick.

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yeah, I laughed a lot, but not buckled over belly laughs.

Due Date was aiming for the best of the Mismatched Buddies genre, but fell well short of the target. It didn't achieve the pathos of a Planes, Trains and Automobiles, nor the wit of a Midnight Run - - not even the inspired stupidity of a Cop Out. It did get the job done, but I had an overwhelming impression of talented director Todd Phillips hurrying this idea into a movie to take advantage of the debt the über-hot Zach Galifianakis owes him before he ditches (i.e.: conflation of disses/bitches into hybrid word = "ditches") him like Mel Gibson.

I absolutely loved three of Todd Phillips movies: Road Trip, Old School, and The Hangover - - all three on my lifetime comedy top twenty-five list.

Lamentably, this movie isn't in their league - - Due Date features the farm team.

3 out of 5.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:04 am
You must have big rats

B

It's another film that is somewhat of a mixed bag. Coming off The Hangover, I expect it to be funnier, frankly. It wasn't very funny. There are a couple of solid belly laughs, but that's about it. It's not like Zach Galifianakis and Robert Downey Jr. aren't doing good work - they are. The screenplay is just not very funny. Like Apatow's Funny People, this one is venturing into darker areas too and does not try to be a straightforward comedy like The Hangover. But Phillips is just not Apatow and his characters are simply not as good. In fact, at many times Ethan and Peter often come across as obnoxious and annoying characters. I assume they are both supposed to be to a point, but that distracts from the film. Michelle Monaghan (whom I usually like a lot and I was looking forward to a little Kiss Kiss Bang Bang reunion between her and RDJ here) barely has any screentime and does nothing noteworthy. Jamie Foxx is quite wasted as well.

There have been many comparisons between this and Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Well, let me just say that the latter is well ahead of this. Not only is it funnier, but it also features characters that, while being annoying to one another, are still lovable to the audiences. The climax in that one is quite touching too, so even in its best moments Due Date does not reach that film's quality.

Despite my fair share of negative comments above, it is still one of last year's better comedies. Phillips does know a thing or two about timing and despite their characters, the both leading actors elevate the film above average.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Better than I expected. I found it pretty humorous and entertaining. Zach Galifianakis was really good and better than he was in The Hangover. Speaking of which, this film is better.

Maybe it's because I had low expectations, but this was a solid flick.

B

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:25 am
Forum General

I didn't have much interest to see this but I went to my friends house and she made me watch it and it was absolutely HYSTERICAL! So much better than The Hangover on every level possible. :P

8/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

The funny thing is you found Just Go With It mean-spirited but not this? :P

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:58 am
loyalfromlondon

I laughed, and RDJ being a dick didn't bother me (mostly because he's RDJ, but also because Galifianakis is even more unlikeable in this), but I had a big problem with the central conceit of the film. RDJ gets kicked off a plane, his arm broken, arrested in Mexico, and ultimately shot, all directly because of Galifianakis, and he still feels bad for him at the end of the film, simply because he lost his father? No self-respecting human would do such a thing.

Still, though, it's quite funny, and isn't that all that matters when it comes to these types of films?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:34 pm
Forum General

Fucking stupid. Worse than Tron Legacy. Bad day today.

Galifuck is annoying as hell. The script for being so ridiculous is incredibly boring and drags like a bitch. Todd Phillips is an overrated hack. Thank God this didn't cross 100m and was critically bashed.

edit: Fuck it did cross 100m.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]