Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Case 39 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Case 39 
loyalfromlondon

Post Case 39
Case 39

Quote:
Case 39 is a 2009 horror thriller film directed by Christian Alvart and starring Renée Zellweger, Jodelle Ferland, and Ian McShane. The film was shot in Vancouver in late 2006 and was released theatrically in the UK, European and Latin American countries on August 13, 2009. The film was initially scheduled for American cinematic release in August 2008, but was delayed twice before its final release date on October 1, 2010, which resulted in the film leaking online way ahead of its US release.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:45 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Case 39
Watched this online a few months back. It was alright - it has a great, creepy atmosphere and is well-directed but by the end the whole thing becomes kind of ridiculous with the twist. I'm not sure I'd watch it again but it's a decent time waster. Also, those considering seeing this because of Bradley Cooper should know he's in the movie for ten minutes tops. C+

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:08 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

I can't believe this started filming FOUR YEARS ago.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:37 pm
College Boy Z

I saw this a while ago and it's really, really lame.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:17 pm
You must have big rats

B

Case 39 is a by the books horror thriller with a solid turn by Renee Zellweger. I know a lot of people here don't like Zellweger and I'm sure this film won't change your mind about her, but I thought she did quite well in this very thinly written role. I'm actually quite surprised that the film has been shelved for so long. It's not a masterpiece and while I did enjoy it, I'm sure most reviews won't be good...but it's not really a hard sell (though it's definitely R-rated material) and films like this (and with lesser casts) get released all the time and become successful. Keep in mind, the cast of this film does not only include Renee Zellweger, but also Bradley Cooper who's quite a hot tickets right now (though he is not given much to do in the film). Ian McShane is a nice addition to the cast as well. The best turn of the film, however, is probably delivered by Jodelle Ferland as the villainous girl. I still have Orphan ahead of myself, but this girl is certainly quite a beast in this one.

There's not much else to be said about the film except for the fact that I was pleasantly surprised by how violent it was and how imaginative the dead scenes were. And trust me, this is not a typical "insane girl"-stuff, this one definitely is quite supernatural. Which brings me to one of the minus points which is a over-reliance on rather shoddy CGI during the film's big (and yet rather anti-climatic finale). Indeed, I am not too happy about the film's finish, but almost everything leading up to it is very solid and occasionally quite suspenseful stuff bolstered by Zellweger's and Ferland's performances.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

It may of been just me but Case 39 would of worked a lot better as a film where you have a deranged kid that is in the foster care process and both her story and the parent's story slowly unravel without having massive killings. It seems like the film is doing that in the first third but then it just turns into a ridiculous "unknown killer" story that gets its proof from phone records. Then there is some really poor acting by Renee Zellweger here. She just goes batshit crazy too many times, a lot of it being mistimed (though her angry reaction resulting in flipping over a TV was great unintentional comedy). I think the only good parts of the movie come from the acting points of the supporting cast (Ian McShane and Bradley Cooper) along with Jodelle Ferland as the creepy Lilith. The film just ends up falling too much into the pattern of films in the same genre. After a while, you know how Lilith is going to react to everything and it just seems boring. The first half of the film seems completely useless once you get around to the crap that happens later. Whatever. *

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

CASE 39 - 7/10 ( B )

This was better than I expected. I thought it was very entertaining.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:56 am
Forum General

This movie was pretty awful but it was so entertaining and fun, you can't help but enjoy yourself. During it's nearly two hour running time, I was never bored.

6/10

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

Mediocre more than -bad-, so I'm not sure why it sat on the shelf for years. Jodelle Ferland gives an interesting, creepy performance. The adult stars--Zellweger, Ian McShane, Bradley Cooper--are all right. They hit the required notes. I appreciated the movie's steady pacing and general moodiness, but the storyline went nowhere interesting and a few ballsy, memorable Big Scares were sorely needed.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:03 am
Full Fledged Member

i'm watching this tonight and i'm very excited already. i hope it's good - if this is yet another bad horror movie i think i'm going to kill myself!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]