Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Catfish 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Catfish 
loyalfromlondon

Post Catfish
Catfish

Quote:
Catfish is a 2010 documentary film involving a man being filmed by his friends as he builds a romantic relationship on the social networking website Facebook with an attractive girl, and the mysterious results when they all go to visit her.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:20 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Catfish
Spoiler: show
Thank goodness it didn't end up being a guy!

Otherwise, a very interesting topic for a documentary kinda spoiled by the three smug bastards filming it.

3 out of 5.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:00 pm
Us v Them

homophobia alarm

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:11 pm
Extraordinary

Groaning wrote:
homophobia alarm

Heh - - do you have an inferiority complex? I have no problem with your homosexuality, Groaning - - nor with anyone else being gay.

The reason that I was happy that it didn't turn out to be a man, was because that story is so common now that it has become a cliche. Out of every 100 of this type of story, 99 of them turn out to be a tragically closeted gay man who can't find any legitimate outlet for his sexuality. Catfish at least explored an unusual central antagonist who created a pleasantly byzantine fantasy world over top of her mundane reality.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:01 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Catfish shows the ways of desperation and manipulation within the aspect of the Internet but it's message is all too familiar in today's society and as such isn't gripping. Nev's connection with a young painter and her family is a sweet one and could of made alone a good scripted movie but as the film really begins to take off and hit its peak, it becomes boring and drawn out too far. The results could be seen a mile away come the half-hour mark and the film tries to build suspense when the true story is just a desperate sob one. Both sides have been tricked in their own matter and the film tries to make a resolution to this but it is too dragged out. Yes, there are evils to the Internet, people should know that, but there is nothing unique in this ending that is different from many of the similar situations people face though it can still be sad. If the film was enjoyable as the first half, this documentary would of worked but with the dull second portion it just quite doesn't, even if in their own ways these people are likeable. **

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

CATFISH

I saw this today because I was pretty interested after being affected by the publicity and commercials that made it has this big secret to keep.

I won't spoil it but it didn't blow me away. I did find the beginning interesting but after a bit you knew there wasn't something right about the Megan girl. I will say that it is interesting and crazy about what happened (speaking of I'm not even sure if this was real. I haven't googled/wiki'd it yet), so if it was real then that's crazy. I did enjoy the opening credits and the use of google maps.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:45 pm
Extraordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Thank goodness it didn't end up being a guy!

Otherwise, a very interesting topic for a documentary kinda spoiled by the three smug bastards filming it.

3 out of 5.

This is a rare example of a movie that has improved in my estimation as I continue to reflect upon it.

As I said in my original review, the filmmakers come off as smug bastards, however my admiration for them has grown because of the fact that they allow themselves to be seen hoist by their own petard. They could have easily hidden the fact they were the ones who turned out to be the mean spirited scammers, not their subject - - but they laid this whole mess bare. It really is a quite brave turn.

We've been fortunate in 2010 to have already had quite a few great feature documentaries playing in theatres: Joan Rivers: A Piece Of Work, Oceans, Babies, Exit Through The Gift Shop - - to this list, I must now add Catfish and I hereby revise my grade to:

12 out of 5.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:26 am
Forum General

I saw this today and I absolutely loved it. It was very relevant and surprisingly moving. Brilliant movie and one of the best films of the year. It's not real though, from what I've heard. :P

9/10 (A)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

This sucked.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:06 pm
Wallflower

Excellent! A very intriguing documentary.

8/10 (A-)

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:32 am
Wallflower

movies35 wrote:
It's not real though, from what I've heard. :P

It is real. The Blu-ray/DVD has a very interesting Q&A with the filmmakers.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:34 am
Superman: The Movie

I watched it a couple of nights ago and I've been back and forth on it ever since. On one hand I think it's well made and interesting. On the other hand the last third screams of bullshit, and if it isn't it then comes across as borderline offensive. I know many documentaries have shown far more worse and disturbing things, but with what the three guys do here is pretty much manipulative, heartless, and exploitative. The three filmmakers could argue that it wouldn't be a truly fair account if the entire family wasn't shown, but I thought a line had to be drawn somewhere. And the scene at the end with the husband...he's clearly missing a couple of tools in the shed and he drops that profound metaphor that just happens to explain the title of the movie? No...

** (C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

A compelling mystery with a poignant conclusion. If it's real, they stumbled upon a fascinating story and captured/presented it well. If it's (partly) fiction devised by Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost, then they're skilled storytellers--and very good at simulating a "real," no-frills, shot-on-the-fly documentary. Either way, this is a good, valuable film.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]