Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4

College Boy Z

Post Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers

Quote:
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers is a 1989 American slasher film and the fifth installment in the Halloween film series. It was directed by Dominique Othenin-Girard and starred Donald Pleasence, who again portrayed Dr. Sam Loomis and Danielle Harris, who returned to play Jamie Lloyd. The film takes place exactly one year after the events depicted in Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers. The Shape has returned to the sleepy town of Haddonfield, Illinois to murder his niece, Jamie, who is now mute. Dr. Loomis tries to save the day with the help of Sheriff Meeker.

The tagline for the film was "Michael Lives. And This Time, They're Ready!"

The film's main titles do not display the "The Revenge of Michael Myers" subtitle which was used in all of the promotional material, TV spots, trailers, and merchandise. The main titles simply say "Halloween 5".

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:38 pm
La Bella Vito

This is when the sequels started to get mediocre and stupid. There's not saying that there are a few redeeming qualities though. Danielle Harris, and Donal Pleasance both give excellent performances, but its not enough to save this movie. One scene that is very well done is the laundry chute scene. Very intense, and I found myself screaming at the tv, because its so frustrating, its one of the best scenes though. I also think that Michael Myers chasing Jamie Llyod through the woods trying to run her over was very cool. I thought that the whole telepathic bond between her and her uncle was a good idea at first, but it quickly turned cheesy, and completely stupid. Micheal's mask is at its worst in his chapter, and Don Shanks, the man who portrays Michael isn't very good. He didn't have Michael's movements down, or how he acts, and the head to the side is completely non existent here. I really loved the ending too. Much like the fourth one, the ending had me very shocked and surprised. It's not the worst sequel in the franchise, but it isn't the best either. One thing that really drags it down is the slow pacing. It really doesn't pay off until the last 30 minutes.

C

Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Good idea, that just kind of fell flat, They must have really put themselves in a corner by the way 4 ended. Jamie being practically mentally challenged was a terrible idea for the first half of the film. And the death count is just silly at times. Michael was a little too knife happy this time for him and to this day has the highest count of the series. With the exception of the Sheriff, every cop was terrible. Dr. Loomis was great as always, and some of the deaths are pretty great, and the telepathic bond was a great idea, and the Man in black was very effective.

And yes, the mask was terrible in the film. What were they thinking. But at least the film stayed true for the most part to the heart of the series, or at least the fourth film. I was surprised when Rachel died.

B-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:12 am
Extraordinary

The worst, most tepid Halloween film.

Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Post Re: Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Just watched it again, bought 4, and 5. I never really realized Loomis died in this one. Probably because I saw 6 first back in the day, never realized when he collapsed it was his filmed death scene. Stylistically I really enjoy this one. But GOD Michael's mask looks retarded in this movie. Also killing off Rachel as a throwaway victim and mute Jamie hinder the film from the start with annoying and dumb characters outside of Loomis. The psychic tie is intriguing as is the Man in Black. Also the gore is much better than the lame attempts of the 4th. I think if they didn't rush this into production they could have something really good. But alas, very average overall, but still not a wreck.

C

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 pm
Extraordinary

The psychic link is stupid.

Sorry I don't have anything more insightful to add than that.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:15 pm

Oh I agree, especially as I think they could have had more with the Michael channeling through Jamie to kill, especially since they pretty much ignore the promise of the ending of 4. They also handled it terribly, but the idea itself could have been done very well if done correctly. They kind of just gloss over it and reduce it to flashing and jamie wincing and signing.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:13 pm
Extraordinary

The whole film grates me because they waste Halloween 4's excellent ending.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:52 pm
The Kramer

Now this was the terrible sequel I expected 4 to be (and was thankfully wrong there.)

The movie had alot more than one problem, but I really hate when sequels kill off the previous final girl in the first act. It makes me checkout right away.

What did not help:

Myers messing with his victims before he kills them
Psychic link that was quite often misleading
The start and stop pacing
Anything anyone ever says
Everything else that happens

0/10 and somehow tops Rob Zombie's as the worst in the series.

Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]