Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Devil 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Devil 
loyalfromlondon

Post Devil
Devil

Quote:
Devil (also known as The Night Chronicles: Devil) is a supernatural thriller based on a story by M. Night Shyamalan, written by Brian Nelson, and directed by John Erick Dowdle. The film was released on September 17, 2010, and is the first of The Night Chronicles trilogy, which involves the supernatural within modern urban society.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:27 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Devil
Devil has an interesting concept putting horror onto a stuck elevator but the results are all too typical. The film has a couple of interesting twists that end up being ruined a couple minutes later and fall into stupid and traditional horror routines. There is the crazy myth guy causing a stir and everyone else on the cast overacting to the highest degree. Add in cheesy dialogue, ridiculous methods of caution by the characters, unscary scenes, and a reveal that tries to scare but is just one to laugh at and there goes Devil's mission. It's a horrible start to the supposed Night Chronicles trilogy and shows that horror is a genre that is having one of the biggest problems making a good product. 1/2*

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

A decent PG-13 horror film, but it falls short of its considerable potential. On a visual level, however, it is a rousing success. The opening credits--disorienting, upside down shots of the Philadelphia skyline--demand the viewer's attention. The film is well-shot in general. Celebrated D.P. Tak Fujimoto (The Silence of the Lambs, Devil in a Blue Dress) seems to relish shooting within limited spaces, including the elevator where the mysterious action unfolds. The first 45 minutes are, in general, compelling and foreboding. And other than a few missteps, the performances are fine.

Though he neither wrote nor directed the film, Devil is destined to be associated with M. Night Shyamalan, the once celebrated (The Sixth Sense, Signs), now maligned (The Happening, The Last Airbender) writer/director. Shyamalan's fingerprints can be sensed--for better and worse. The first act is filled with small details of blue-collar Philadelphia life--better. The pompous, exposition-heavy narration which serves no purpose other than stating (then belaboring) the obvious? Worse.

The film's largest problem, though, is the fact it peters out in the last 20 minutes. It fizzles and settles when it should reach fever pitch. Still, the overall ride is fine and it's easy to recommend Devil to not-too-discerning genre fans.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:17 pm
Forum General

I thought it was a solid movie, only problem was that they should have cut out the narration from Ramirez which was uselessly telling the story before it happened. I liked how the scares were not built upon typical horror movie nonsense and gore as well.

I will not say why I disagree with opinions in this thread but just that I do.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:18 am
Profile WWW

My friend described the whole plotline to me, one word was immediately evoked "laughable." "Cliche" would have worked as well I suppose.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:41 am
Wallflower

DEVIL - 6/10 (B-)

It's good, if unspectacular. Not worth seeing in theaters really, but not a bad way to spend 80 minutes. The narration by Ramirez was probably the worst aspect. Pointless and laughable. Caroline Dhavernas (Wonderfalls, Breach) is underused, but only because I like her. She's pretty much playing a throwaway character. I think I'd have preferred if she were the one in the elevator.

As for the little twist, I personally found it really obvious from the beginning. Still, the movie did a decent job at making me second guess myself at times.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:01 am
Extraordinary

BK wrote:
I thought it was a solid movie, only problem was that they should have cut out the narration from Ramirez which was uselessly telling the story before it happened. I liked how the scares were not built upon typical horror movie nonsense and gore as well.

I will not say why I disagree with opinions in this thread but just that I do.

I agree with that. His dialogue was bringing out chuckles from the audience. It was kind of disruptive.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:55 pm
Forum General

Michael A wrote:
My friend described the whole plotline to me, one word was immediately evoked "laughable." "Cliche" would have worked as well I suppose.

I thought these threads were for people who actually saw the movie, not, people who like to bash things they preconceive to not be of their liking. The trailer section, I might suggest?

Mike wrote:
DEVIL - 6/10 (B-)

It's good, if unspectacular. Not worth seeing in theaters really, but not a bad way to spend 80 minutes. The narration by Ramirez was probably the worst aspect. Pointless and laughable. Caroline Dhavernas (Wonderfalls, Breach) is underused, but only because I like her. She's pretty much playing a throwaway character. I think I'd have preferred if she were the one in the elevator.

As for the little twist, I personally found it really obvious from the beginning. Still, the movie did a decent job at making me second guess myself at times.

This is probably the best summation.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:07 am
Profile WWW

BK wrote:
Michael A wrote:

I thought these threads were for people who actually saw the movie, not, people who like to bash things they preconceive to not be of their liking. The trailer section, I might suggest?

Mike wrote:
DEVIL - 6/10 (B-)

Perhaps if I was referring to the trailer, however I am referring to my opinion of the plotline. People frequently post in critic threads without having seen the films.
This is probably the best summation.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:07 am
The Wall

4/10 -> D

It's not horrible. It's just that there's nothing here we haven't seen before and it has been done better.

The scenes that should work the most - the kill scenes - fall flat every time they happen. The whole sound editing while the elevator was dark didn't do anything in terms of guessing who the next victim will be, didn't set off any scares, didn't even offer unique sounds...

The end is predictable and a bit too optimistic for my taste.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

This is shockingly not too bad until Shyamalan's totally useless story/script/slightly-off camera direction/whatever the fuck kicks in. Once homeboy security guard starts to spell out absolutely-fucking-everything for the audience and shit kicks into holy roller overdrive, the whole enterprise is a lost cause. It's a shame, cause the dudes who made Poughkeepsie Tapes and Quarantine know how to cultivate tension with their camera, and they are actually allowed to do it for awhile.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:49 am
loyalfromlondon

I actually dug this quite a bit, although admittedly Shyamalan's 'spiritual' influence is quite terrible and drags the whole thing down.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:08 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was better than anything Shyamalan has done in the past five years. Still though, the whole thing felt kind of pointless by the end and given the concept it had the potential to be much more disturbing. C+

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

makeshift wrote:
This is shockingly not too bad until Shyamalan's totally useless story/script/slightly-off camera direction/whatever the fuck kicks in. Once homeboy security guard starts to spell out absolutely-fucking-everything for the audience and shit kicks into holy roller overdrive, the whole enterprise is a lost cause.

This. And the actual 'devil' was completely obvious, as they were obviously the least likely to be.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]