Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Parasomnia 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Parasomnia 
loyalfromlondon

Post Parasomnia
Parasomnia

Quote:
Parasomnia is an independent horror film directed by William Malone and stars Jeffrey Combs, Timothy Bottoms and Dylan Purcell. The filming was funded by Malone himself, and its release was delayed due to difficulties securing distribution.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:25 am
Orphan

Post Re: Parasomnia
Really inventive, entertaining horror-thriller. Borrows ideas from A Nightmare on Elm Street, among others but adds its own unique, sometimes bizarre twist on them. The film involves a girl suffering from the title disorder which causes her to spend 99% of her life sleeping in a hospital bed. Her dreams are haunted by a serial killer mesmerist Byron Volpe. Meanwhile, she catches the eye of Danny, a twentysomething man who instantly falls in love with the sleeping beauty and must save her from Volpe before it's too late.

The acting is decent to good across the board with Combs and Wilson (as the character suffering from the titular disorder) the highlights. How Wilson is able to engage and develop chemistry with others when spending most of the film asleep is quite good. She perfectly captures the character's child-like innocence without coming across as dumb. Malone reportedly made this outside the studio system after dissatisfaction with the interference he experienced while making FearDotCom and The House on Haunted Hill (the studio made him cast Kattan and add humor to the film). Based on the results, I hope he gets the chance for more creative freedom in the future because this is among his best work.

Grade - A

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:27 am
Wallflower

Post Re: Parasomnia
I thought it was decent. It's fairly inventive, I'll give it that, and so much better than the awful FearDotCom, but there was just something missing. Yet I did admire a lot about it and definitely appreciate the filmmaker's struggle to make it.

I didn't like the girl at all. She was so unappealing. But Dylan Purcell had a natural charm about him.

Anyway, it's not bad for a low-budget horror flick. I'd give it a B-.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]