Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Easy A 

What grade would you give this film?
A 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
B 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
F 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 20

Easy A 
loyalfromlondon

Post Easy A
Easy A

Quote:
Easy A is an ensemble American comedy film written by Bert V. Royal and directed by Will Gluck. Partially inspired by the novel The Scarlet Letter, the film was shot at Screen Gems studios and in Ojai, California. Screen Gems will be its distributor with an expected release on September 17, 2010.

This will be Amanda Bynes' last film, after announcing her retirement on her Twitter account on June 19, 2010.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:18 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Easy A
In terms of entertainment value the film really should get a higher grade. Its absolutely hilarious and charming, and one of the best teen films I've seen in quite some time. There are certain scenes where I was dying from laughter, but overall the film has a sweet spirit and ends up actually being quite poignant. Emma Stone is absolutely fantastic in a star-making performance, and easily becomes a heroine to root for. Other standouts in the cast include Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson, who are absolutely hysterical as Olive's parents, Lisa Kudrow in a small but pivotal role and Amanda Bynes, who shows great comic timing in a role that could have been absolutely ridiculous in another actor's hands. I had an absolute blast watching this and I can't wait to see it again. I hope it does great things for Emma Stone's career (she was in attendance at the screening I attended a few weeks back and there was a brief Q&A afterwards). A-

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:04 pm
Profile YIM
Confessing on a Dance Floor

can't wait for this!!

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:09 am
Sbil

Caught an advance screening tonight. Whip-smart and sardonic, Easy A has the goods to stand alongside the best teen comedies of recent years. This is one of the funniest movies this year, if not the funniest. Emma Stone has been stealing scenes in prominent films (Superbad, The House Bunny, Zombieland) for the past few years but this is her first lead role. If Easy A is any indication, there will be many more to come. She has brilliant comedic timing and a sense of likability that's almost jarring. The supporting cast is excellent. Among the "teens," Penn Badgley is on hand for some male eye candy and Amanda Bynes (unretired yet?) provides plenty of humor without going too over-the-top. Thomas Haden Church and Lisa Kudrow each have small moments to shine as teachers, while Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci are a scream as Stone's parents. Like most of the best teen comedies, Easy A works because there are elements easy to relate to. The witty writing and Emma Stone's deft lead performance keep the film from ever sagging and helping to sidestep certain predictable cliches. Really hope this film does well, because it deserves it. A-

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:51 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Saw an advance screening of this also tonight.

Easy A is definitely one of the best teen romantic comedies made in the past few years. It takes some of the ideas from the book The Scarlett Letter and puts them into a normal high school setting today. Emma Stone stars as the lead Olive who after telling a little lie to her friend Rhiannon (Alyson Michalka) that she lost her virginity the weekend before is now the center of the attention of the school and she continues to "have" sex with others in the school even though nothing happens between her and the new match. It's all just heresy. The easy get away soon ends up leaving her in some hard to escape heat. The film feels fresh the entire time and basically does a 180 on the relationship story angle and doesn't use over-the-top jokes or typical sex joke lines to get through. This will probably be one of Stone's defying roles and one she'll be remembered for even years later. She works so naturally with the character that nothing feels overacted or bland. Other noticeable highlights are Amanda Bynes, Patricia Clarkson, and Stanley Tucci. This will be a film both sexes will enjoy as well as it never becomes just a story for the girls. There are plenty of jokes guys will be amused with. It is a joyous film from start to finish and one that should be appreciated once it hits theaters. ***1/2

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I got tickets to see this on Tuesday night. Pretty excited. Hope I love it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Who the hell gave this an F?

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:29 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

thompsoncory wrote:
Who the hell gave this an F?

The same random person/people who always give movies Fs sight unseen?

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:34 pm
Forum General

Very impressive cast. from the teenagers to the adults. So I would like to check this out.

Also on Amanda, I am pretty sure she reversed her very early retirement plans.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:08 pm
Forum General

I saw this on Tuesday and forgot to post a review. I really loved it, very funny and a fucking amazing performance from Emma Stone. The supporting cast is also great. Don't miss this.

8/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:57 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

jmovies wrote:
Saw an advance screening of this also tonight.

Easy A is definitely one of the best teen romantic comedies made in the past few years. It takes some of the ideas from the book The Scarlett Letter and puts them into a normal high school setting today. Emma Stone stars as the lead Olive who after telling a little lie to her friend Rhiannon (Alyson Michalka) that she lost her virginity the weekend before is now the center of the attention of the school and she continues to "have" sex with others in the school even though nothing happens between her and the new match. It's all just heresy. The easy get away soon ends up leaving her in some hard to escape heat. The film feels fresh the entire time and basically does a 180 on the relationship story angle and doesn't use over-the-top jokes or typical sex joke lines to get through. This will probably be one of Stone's defying roles and one she'll be remembered for even years later. She works so naturally with the character that nothing feels overacted or bland. Other noticeable highlights are Amanda Bynes, Patricia Clarkson, and Stanley Tucci. This will be a film both sexes will enjoy as well as it never becomes just a story for the girls. There are plenty of jokes guys will be amused with. It is a joyous film from start to finish and one that should be appreciated once it hits theaters. ***1/2

Saw this on a crazy movie day, with machette and res evil.

First I agree, major props to stone, tucci who I always love, clarkson and amanda.

Now I agree that most would think this is excellent and I thought it was very good. But there was something that bothered me about it.

First I thought it was the teenage virgin thing. But I think the thing was, how she outed all the people. Which she didn't need to do as the guy and her parents were ok with her.

Would have liked it better if she just told her friend, her teacher and the whole school on the internet. Whatever. Love me for who I am or f off. I am not going to live for you anymore. I am going to live my life.

And I just remembered, funniest scene was when she meets the pastor and the father of amanda's character. LOL. Yes there is a Hell!

Also, is it really realistic, that a girl in high schook that had sex would cause that much of a reaction.

And there seemed to be some references to Mandy moore's saved. Where some people connected to both movies?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:15 am
Extraordinary

Color me disappointed.

I guess I'd gone and got my hopes up a bit about Easy A, but then tonight I found out she wasn't the real thing.

Don't get me wrong. Emma Stone is every inch a star, an authentic world class charmer, a great actress, and a stellar comedienne. The problem is that she is betrayed by a far less than worthy script and supporting cast.

The writing strives for effortlessness... and thereby fails.

The cast includes two performances that were for this viewer simply horrifying. First, Amanda Bynes who I've always adored (right back from Big Fat Liar to She's The Man to Hairspray to Sydney White), has the most degradingly shoddily conceived role here, sorta like Saved! without the bite. Not only that - - she looks terrible, I hope she's okay. I heard it reported that this was her last movie. Let's hope she's just taking a break for a while and will come back remetamorphisized into a confident adult women performer. And if I thought she looked bad, it was because Lisa Kudrow didn't come on till the second act. I almost had to look away from the screen. What has happened to her nose?!? It's like looking at that recent famous photo of Roger Ebert. Her timing still seemed to be good, though I guess she'll never shake the Phoebe stylings now. I still hark back, lo these thirteen long years ago, to her incredible performance in the way underrated Romy and Michele's High School Reunion. Those two - - Amanda & Lisa - - really brought me down with what's become of them. And then the rest of the generic supporting cast (with the exception of Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson who superbly and hilariously played Emma's parents) were too forgettable to bother trying to remember.

I hope Emma Stone finds a more worthy vehicle next time out, she deserves to star in movies as good as the one's she supported, such as The House Bunny and The Rocker. This one ain't her fault.

Easy A seemed to have it's heart in the right place, but failed to execute.

2 out of 5.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:40 am
Wallflower

EASY A - 8/10 (A-)

Very fun and funny. Emma Stone carries this one and is simply irresistible. Also highly enjoyed the awesome supporting turns from Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci.

BTW, I dare anyone to not be singing "Pocket Full of Sunshine" for days after seeing this.

Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:02 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Color me disappointed.

I guess I'd gone and got my hopes up a bit about Easy A, but then tonight I found out she wasn't the real thing.

Don't get me wrong. Emma Stone is every inch a star, an authentic world class charmer, a great actress, and a stellar comedienne. The problem is that she is betrayed by a far less than worthy script and supporting cast.

The writing strives for effortlessness... and thereby fails.

The cast includes two performances that were for this viewer simply horrifying. First, Amanda Bynes who I've always adored (right back from Big Fat Liar to She's The Man to Hairspray to Sydney White), has the most degradingly shoddily conceived role here, sorta like Saved! without the bite. Not only that - - she looks terrible, I hope she's okay. I heard it reported that this was her last movie. Let's hope she's just taking a break for a while and will come back remetamorphisized into a confident adult women performer. And if I thought she looked bad, it was because Lisa Kudrow didn't come on till the second act. I almost had to look away from the screen. What has happened to her nose?!? It's like looking at that recent famous photo of Roger Ebert. Her timing still seemed to be good, though I guess she'll never shake the Phoebe stylings now. I still hark back, lo these thirteen long years ago, to her incredible performance in the way underrated Romy and Michele's High School Reunion. Those two - - Amanda & Lisa - - really brought me down with what's become of them. And then the rest of the generic supporting cast (with the exception of Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson who superbly and hilariously played Emma's parents) were too forgettable to bother trying to remember.

I hope Emma Stone finds a more worthy vehicle next time out, she deserves to star in movies as good as the one's she supported, such as The House Bunny and The Rocker. This one ain't her fault.

Easy A seemed to have it's heart in the right place, but failed to execute.

2 out of 5.

Perfect review.

Was so looking forward to this but it just didn't live up to my expectations. It was predictable which I can overlook but some of it was just way unrealistic and a bunch of characters (virgin group) were just too one dimensional.

That said I probably liked it more than Bradley, parts of the film are very cute and Emma Stone is just amazing. Cant wait to see what she does next.

Grade B/B-

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:32 am
Wallflower

I believe a lot of Christians will find this movie kind of offensive. They do have good cause, though since I'm not one I had no problem with the one-dimensional portrayal of them. I found it fairly humorous.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:46 pm
Extraordinary

Mike wrote:
I believe a lot of Christians will find this movie kind of offensive. They do have good cause, though since I'm not one I had no problem with the one-dimensional portrayal of them. I found it fairly humorous.

I wouldn't worry - - the hackneyed parody of Christians in Easy A makes even the characterizations in Epic Movie look sophisticated.

Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:17 pm

The Sorkin like bursts of sudden clever conversation and humorous albeit overly animated behavior of the characters are more intelligent than the attempts present in your average teen flick. The blunt allusions to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and the Scarlet Letter deserve points simply for existing, and the Huck one was quite funny. The whole thing lacks the balance and pacing and thought-through plot-line that made Mean Girls such a masterpiece, but it is a passable way to fill a dull Sunday afternoon. Despite the brief and typically "happy" ending.
I'll also say there is nothing wrong with this portrayal of Christians. The representations certainly do not pertain to the average kid who went to Sunday school and attends church once in a while, but I have met more than a few baptists and evangelicals who fit this mold quite well. The characterizations are certainly one-dimensional, but so are the people they are mocking.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:21 pm
Extraordinary

Michael A wrote:
The blunt allusions to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and the Scarlet Letter deserve points simply for existing, and the Huck one was quite funny.

I agree wholeheartedly about the former, but differ on the latter*.

(* How dare this blunt allusion mock the Demi Moore version! :rant: )

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:32 am
Forum General

I fail to see how anyone could dislike this movie. :p I honestly think I prefer it to MEAN GIRLS. It was so much fun.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:24 am
Profile YIM WWW
Devil's Advocate

It goes down easy, but its biggest strength, Emma Stone, is also what kills its believability. Stone is not only the most attractive girl who appears at the school, but also loaded with confidence and wit. She'd be the star of any school... selling her and her hot friend as 17 year old virgins nobody notices, and who can't get any male attention, is a huge stretch to understate it. It's an even bigger stretch that an attractive 17 year old girl having sex would be any news at all, let alone the talk of a school. Maybe in the 1950s. In today's age that's as dated a premise as the episode of 90210 where Valerie getting a tattoo is OMG. You know what's a believable plot-line in 2010? If 17 year old, hot Emma Stone becomes a school celebrity for being a virgin. So that tells you how far off this is. Role is made for Amanda Seyfried circa Jennifer's Body. Just straight laced enough to pull off 17 year old nobody, just attractive enough to be a female lead. Ellen Page works too. Or if you cast Stone just jump straight to her soliciting for money. That would make her big news off the bat.

And I won't touch the scene where the 8th grade boy doesn't want to kiss a girl. Yeah, ok

Don't like how it took so long for Stone to get creeped on albeit they do get to that eventually. At one point she says "Amazingly, while everyone has wanted to pretend they slept with me, no boy has actually tried to sleep with me". I'll repeat myself and say 'Yeah, ok.' Olive would be facing an unbelievable amount of creep if it came out she's a ho, then dressed and played it up. Like non stop. Actually she would probably get that even before she started the lieing

Other than that the film works reasonably well... though really nobody in the cast but Stone does anything special... the male love interest is particularly bland. I guess I enjoyed Bynes cause her character never winks, she's playing it straight in a way. I did like Tucci and Clarkson as the parents. Haden-Church needed more screentime. The best friend character does well off the bat but then disappears from the movie... I'm not sure why Stone would cast off her best friend so she could withhold a reputation as a slut... but anyways. There's no scene stealing supporting characters here though

I liked how everyone Stone "helps" acts selfishly and doesn't return the favor in the 3rd act. A nice twist on the usual resolution of these things. Kudrow's character in particular deserves what she gets.

So in all its not a bad watch. Decent rental. Again my biggest complaint would be making it a major stretch believability wise, though that's nothing new for the genre, this one in particular was just too blatantly miscast

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:56 pm
Wallflower

Michael A wrote:
I'll also say there is nothing wrong with this portrayal of Christians. The representations certainly do not pertain to the average kid who went to Sunday school and attends church once in a while, but I have met more than a few baptists and evangelicals who fit this mold quite well. The characterizations are certainly one-dimensional, but so are the people they are mocking.

I do agree with this as well. A lot of these types of religious people come off as one-dimensional.

And this is not better than MEAN GIRLS at all.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:41 pm
Forum General

I think this is on par with MEAN GIRLS, maybe a little better.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW

movies35 wrote:
I think this is on par with MEAN GIRLS, maybe a little better.

nope
It is approximately 31% as good as mean girls.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:28 pm
100% That Bitch

Easy A gets an Easy A

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Mau wrote:
Easy A gets an Easy A

I think this is obvious qualification for a perma-ban.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next